Buddy Miles

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I stumbled across this old album today and fell down that nostalgia rabbit hole, it came out in 1970, almost 50 years ago. I remember how much I loved this album cover just because it was so damn cool. I also remember this is why I took the bottom heads off the Rogers Londoner kit I had then. I just loved Buddy and what he did. IMO, this album has the definitive version of Neil Young's 'Down By The River' (other than Roy Buchanan's version). And so many other great songs are on this LP, 'Them Changes', 'Dreams', etc. How many other LP's have a drum kit this cool on the cover? In case you're wondering, yeah...I'm old. Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

BUDDY MILES.jpg

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Roy Buchanan was great. I remember him playing slide with and open long neck beer and it foaming all over the fretboard. I always enjoyed buddy I'll have to reaquaint myself

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I believe that's Rita Coolidge's sister walking through a park on the back of the album sleeve .

I remember exactly when I heard that album , where I was and what I was doing and if I'd kept doing it I wouldn't have made it to 21 ... that's a terrific album and the drums on the front knocked me out . Rogers Rogers Rogers

Shortly after I saw Miles sharing the bill with the Faces in Toronto . I woke up in GreenBay Wisconsin with some very nice people, but can't quite recall how I got there , but I do remember seeing the outside ring on one of his cymbals literally falling off from the rest of the bronze disc . He was a heavy hitter .

That's Andy Newmark on the Buchanan's Down by the River , but Miles does it serious justice too.

The horns on Dreams hit like a freight train .

YUP if I could name five records that changed my musical life, this would be one of them . I got turned onto Moondance the same night . Into the Mystic ...

Last edited:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I met Buddy Miles at a Dallas Prince concert and aftershow jam, he lived there at the time (2002) he'd been a guitarist later in life.
He was wheelchair bound and passed on a few years later. Very approachable dude, seemed humble.
Prince called him up onstage to sing some blues, that was cool to witness.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was right there with ya going wild over his kit, vocals , them changes, the horns the rhythm guitar phrase / lead who by the way was a friend of mine Charlie Karp, unfortunately passed last year. Nobody’s getting any younger !

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
" he green lit contact paper to thousands of budding drummers across the nation maybe the world"
I think I was one.

That and I think he was too heavy-set to ever execute a fill"
I wore the Live at The Fillmore Lp out.
most beautiful album cover inside and out
It was like from another galaxy
Band of Gypsys I mean.

Last edited:

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy Miles is a bad dude. Was it Band of Gypsies were Hendrix breaks a string and Miles fills the down time with scat?

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
YES!

Great album cover, great album, great drummer, great singer!

What sizes are those drums? 12/13/14/16/22, right? He makes 'em look small. I'm surprised the Rogers guys never talk about them....who painted them, how did they cover up the lug holes....Anyhow, they sound good to me.

I first heard him in Electric Flag, he was really young! Soon after he did a fusion album with John McLaughlin, before Billy Cobham.

He played drums RIGHT HANDED, but played guitar and bass LEFT HANDED, and upside down, like Hendrix!

SteveB

DFO Star
Reaction score
His bass player at that time was Dave Hull and he is still in the Boston area and takes part in jams nearby, or has in the past...great player. Buddy always had a secondary drummer (don't know his name/s) who would take over when Buddy went out front. This was in 1970 when I was in school down the street. The only tune Dave didn't play on was Them Changes because Billy Cox did that one.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I'd never listened to this album since I was quite young in 1970.

I agree that the title song, Them Changes, is absolutely badass, and I love.

As for the other six songs (five of which are covers), it's fine and remarkably like a lot of the Stax/Volt output at the time, which isn't surprising with Steve Cropper as producer.

I do wonder about the photo on the front. Was the crash cymbal on the right set freakishly high so as not to block his face for the shot?

Good stuff.

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
Buddy is a great vocalist too, when Santana made an instrumental album, and the record company insisted on vocals, Buddy was brought in as vocalist. 'Songs Of Freedom' was the album and the song of that title speaks to that.
This song is about Buddy getting busted and doin' time.

songs of freedom:

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this clip a few years ago. Buddy getting dragged onto the stage in some club back in 1997. Impromptu performance on someone else's drum set, raggedy and sloppy, but it shows just what a powerhouse he was.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
YES!

Great album cover, great album, great drummer, great singer!

What sizes are those drums? 12/13/14/16/22, right? He makes 'em look small. I'm surprised the Rogers guys never talk about them....who painted them, how did they cover up the lug holes....Anyhow, they sound good to me.

I first heard him in Electric Flag, he was really young! Soon after he did a fusion album with John McLaughlin, before Billy Cobham.

He played drums RIGHT HANDED, but played guitar and bass LEFT HANDED, and upside down, like Hendrix!
Hendrix played left handed but his strings weren't upside down.

Latest posts