Buddy Nehru

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was just discussing with Mike Layton (via pm) some Slingerland cymbal stands I had just bought when it occurred to me while referencing the '69 catalog how funny it was that Buddy chose to wear a "hip" Nehru jacket for his Slingerland photo session. That jacket literally went out of style before he made it out of the building from the photo shoot...and Slingerland continued using that photo in their catalogs for the next four years.

It gave me a chuckle (but then I'm easily amused).

Perhaps a lesson to be learned...If you happen to become the world's greatest drummer and have to do an endorsement photo spread, avoid cutting edge trends and stick with a classic look :icon_smile:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't know Tommy...I'd say that look was..."Timeless"

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Ok, confession time... I not only owned and wore a Nehru Jacket, I owned and wore a sharkskin and black felt collar-less Beatle suit!
I thought I looked so cool in that thing. Oddly enough though and fortunately for me, the chickie-poo's loved it too!
I was 16, beat me!

John

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you've been in bands for awhile it has already happened to you and in these www days, the pictures are out there!!! Have you been to Rock and Roll Confidential's Hall of Douchebags? You will laugh for hours.

Anybody remember the '80's? Weird clothes, eye liner. This is me from an album cover in1982. <Cringe> Tommy gave me the courage to post it.

View attachment 106620

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hey Tommy, the shirt you were wearing reminds me of a Cheech & Chong movie, (when the band gets their new uniforms). Tommy Chong tells the guy selling the band uniforms; "Hey man, I'm not wearing this sh*t, it's a goddam waiters uniform!" lol

Yes, Sams... you -are- a courageous man! <jk>

John

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
yes we're all guilty....1977....my first band...matching polyester shirts from Belscot's.

And I can't seem to find the picture of myself wearing my rock-star parachute pants in the 80's :oops:

Buddy was definitely on fashion's "cutting edge" when that picture was taken...right up there with Johnny Carson, the Smothers Brothers, and everyone who was anyone...but the Nehru was only a fad for about 3 months and Slingerland was still using that picture in 1973 :shock: .

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sorry K.O.,

But saying the Nehru was passe by the end of '69 is more than a bit of an exaggeration, but not as much as labeling it a 3 month fad. The Beatles wore Nehru's for the Shea Stadium concert in '65 - with Buddy first showing up in one on album covers in 1968 (meaning he was likely performing in them before that).

And IMO this was far any kind of mis-step on his part... Buddy clearly knew his fashion and more importantly clearly understood marketing and show business. And 1968 was not the time to be continuing to try to launch his band and what would be his brand for the rest of his career saddled with tired black suit and tie "jazz uniform" of the 50's and early 60's.

He was pitching that his music was not nostalgia and current and "of its day" and that sell line wasn't going to work dressed like the Basie or Ellington - that while always playing a lot of new music, we're still marketing a significantly nostalgia product.

Again Buddy knew show business enough to know that the music isn't the whole product. Sure, it's the most important part, but success will not come to those that ignore the rest of the package, it just doesn't.

Thus the clothes of the today for a band of today - that's what Buddy was selling... a band of today.

So while it's easy to snicker at the silly, now out of fashion clothes of the past. I think there are excellent lessons to be learned for any aspiring drummer/leader from Buddy of this period, And that this 60's fashion thing was a misstep for Buddy is not one of them. In fact, just the opposite. I think his choices through this period were spot on and quite successful - establishing himself and his band as a youthful, current and contemporary product (whether one believes the music was that or not) that continued to sell and support itself long past when ANY other jazz organization of that size (playing non-nostalgia music and/or dances) was able to continue touring.

David

ebok45

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think his playing had a fair bit to do with it.......

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think his playing had a fair bit to do with it.......
Didn't mean to imply that it didn't.

Not really sure that I did -

<<< Again Buddy knew show business enough to know that the music isn't the whole product. Sure, it's the most important part,.... >>>

[font="tahoma][size="3"]"The music" meaning the band, the charts and of course, his playing. That's the center of the product - just like it is for virtually every jazz or actually pop/rock artist as well. But...[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]... by itself - his playing - it's wasn't enough... the sound of the band framing him, the packaging (the fashion, the pop music tie-ins, etc), all this stuff was essential for moving "Buddy Rich - the product" from the "Greatest Swing Drummer of the 40's-50's" to "The World's Greatest Drummer of 60's-70's". I'm not saying those labels are musically true or not - I'm saying that is what he was marketing. And not all artists are up to doing that - remaking themselves for a new era (as opposed to just living off the successes of the past.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]SO no, his playing was not enough. It's the core. It's essential. It's the point. It's the steak - but without all the dressings, a steak is not a fine meal. All those other elements expertly framed and supported this concept of "Buddy - The World's Greatest Drummer with the hot, hip, "not your father's" big band sound" - even the banter with Carson was essential at spreading the "story" of Buddy Rich to a far larger audience and gave him more weight and clout in the industry - all shoring up and reinforcing his core business.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]Regardless of how one feels about the music yea or ney, or even his playing - Buddy's career through this period was quite an accomplishment. His playing was a given (and IMO more than worth studying)... but how expertly he exploited it career-wise was the accomplishment to learn from and the one, I believe he isn't given nearly enough credit for.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]David[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="3"]David[/size][/font]

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
So it was really Bud Slingerland's fault.... :icon_smile:

Yes I suppose it was...too cheap to update the photo.

This is not meant to denigrate Buddy or his playing in any way. I was just amused by seeing that Slingerland re-used that photo for such a long stretch. I doubt that Buddy thought that would be the case.

Saying that the Nehru was only in style for 3 months was an exaggeration of course but when they did go out of style they were really out of style (think leisure suits).

I was too young in the late 60's to care about such things but I actually do recall looking at the early 70's Slingerland catalogs when I was in Junior High and thinking "What the heck is that guy wearing".

I can appreciate that Buddy needed/wanted to stay "hip" to appeal to the younger audience he hoped to cultivate and he seemed to do a good job. His next logical step towards that end might have been to grow a beard and long hair (or get a longer toupe anyway) ala George Carlin or Bobby Darin, fortunately we were spared that scenario. Buddy was simply too classy to go there.

biggator

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you've been in bands for awhile it has already happened to you and in these www days, the pictures are out there!!! Have you been to Rock and Roll Confidential's Hall of Douchebags? You will laugh for hours.

Anybody remember the '80's? Weird clothes, eye liner. This is me from an album cover in1982. <Cringe> Tommy gave me the courage to post it.

View attachment 106620

Aww, come on Sam... that's not so bad!

atomicmorganic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Style is style and fashion is fashion. If I were to try to be fashionable now, it would probably require a mohawk, multiple piercings and lot and lots of ink. I'm 71. I think I would look way more ridiculous than Buddy in a Nehru jacket.

SamS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

View attachment 106620

Aww, come on Sam... that's not so bad!
Too kind. My memory of it is much worse. That was a bright orange shirt and leather pants. Yikes!

I wouldn't wear that today but I would still wear a lot of the same regular and gig clothes I wore in the '70s. Wait! I still do!!

Latest posts