Buddy on VOX/Trixon

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet he really hated them...the ones I've seen I don't think would hold up for him.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich...I had a set of Trixons...they were very very well built. My guess is Buddy just couldnt get "his" sound out of them.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the angled BD cymbal arm. I'm kind of surprised nobody else ever went with that angled look, it's very cool looking.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Right on Jimmy. I have seen a few drummers use BOTH mounts for cymbals (and put the tom on a stand)
and the Bass Drum looks like a 60s Satellite....Very cool!!

ChrisBabbitt

Reaction score
My understanding is that he hated the hardware and had Pro Drum in Hollywood modify them. I saw him playing the Vox kit, and it didn't have the angled cymbal arm.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Buddy holds the record for most brands endorsed?
Brand loyalty wasn't high on his list of priorities for sure!

I'm sure Vox, being a small fish in a big pond, paid through the nose for his endorsement. Whoever cut the deal for Vox either got a promotion or got fired! :icon_lol:

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have owned 2 sets. The sounded like most 60s across the pond make drums. Not my choice.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Buddy was always in debt, so whatever drum company offered him the biggest cash advance, he'd go with.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
I've told an expanded version of this story about Buddy and Vox drums in another thread:

In 1967 (when I was 15) I attended a taping of "Away We Go", a summer TV show on CBS that starred Buddy, George Carlin and Buddy Greco. Marie Rich (Buddy's wife) was one of my chaperones that night, and when the stage hands wheeled out the riser with Buddy's new (Vox) drums on it for the band's number I blurted out "I see he's playing his new Vox drums. I heard they paid him $100,000 to play those." in front of Marie. Although she didn't say anything to me at that time, when she took me back stage to meet Buddy after the taping, Marie introduced me to Buddy and as I was shaking his hand she said "Hey Buddy, you ought to listen to that kid. He knows more about your business dealings than you do!"

Last edited:

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I like the photographers in the pictures. The caption reads: "Hurry before he leaves!"