Buddy plays a matched grip solo

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(wager Bud would have pre-rock called it tympani grip)

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Currently watching TBBT while checking out this video, so imagine my surprise when the credits come up and the executive producer is listed as Sheldon Cooper. :shock:
Cool solo, btw. :thumbright:

Elvis

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great Rogers set. That's an awesome solo. The sound is off though to me. I don't know how it sounds like he's playing a snare when he's doing the floor tom rolls and cymbal crashes. No question he's playing match grip. Wonder why he felt the need to flip the sticks?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Some guys do that to add power to their playing.
The "get-a-bigger-hammer" way of thinking.

blue-onyx

Reaction score
I recognize the bass player, Ira Westly in his younger years. I used to play with him regularly (he passed on a few years ago). He told me that Buddy Rich behaved in a gentlemanly fashion the whole time while on the Harry James band. Probably out of respect for his employer.... plus he was getting good money!

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
DB Co
Currently watching TBBT while checking out this video, so imagine my surprise when the credits come up and the executive producer is listed as Sheldon Cooper. :shock:
Cool solo, btw. :thumbright:

Elvis
DB Copper is dead. Sheldon Cooper is too stuck up to play matched and refused to do a season 11.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's another solo where Buddy used matched grip for the first six minutes or so before switching to trad. I just wish the sound was better on this one...

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
Well I already made a comment at an earlier date. BUTT I have a 2002 18" power crash I also use as a ride when playing whatever I'm playing that needs a high pitch ride with good stick definition. Real good stick definition. Blowd up real good stick definition.