Buddy Rich 1941!!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Richard! Good catch! Yes, his snare is lower than usual for sure, and remember he was sitting on a cannister throne , which are like 24 inches high.

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting I really enjoyed that, great fun and great solo, I also love the sound of the radio kings there.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Cool! He sure played the snare way down low in those days

That was my first thought too. This actually looks lower than I think I have ever seen him use it. It seemed like he actually had it pretty high in the 50's and 60's.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
On the drum solo, it looks like they recorded audio while being filmed, which would normally not be done.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rich: Yes, your are correct. I was watching Buddy carefully, and matching his movements to the soundtrack and they match. It appears they filmed and audio recorded Buddys Solo in sync. The whole section has a TON of edits, So it looks like they filmed Buddys solo with audio, then spliced it into the final edit. great stuff!

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drumstickdude" Youre very welcome, glad to oblige. Yes, his Radio kings do sound great, and I bet you a thousand bucks that for Buddys solo, they changed the overhead microphones from the kind used to pick up clear dialog, to mics with a wider frequency range, like the Western Electric 639, and thats why they sound so good. We are all very lucky, that Buddy was probably the most filmed musician in the last 100 years. Between movies, TV and concerts, there are hundreds of hours of Buddy to watch. Which is just peachy with me!

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought it would just be him miming along to the playback but was pleasantly surprised to see that they recorded the solo live.

hawker

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buddy hated "funny hat's" and I'm sure he hated these. Dorsey had a swinging band at various times but looks like Hollywood really had them doing the "cornball schtick" for this film.

Check out Buddy from :50-:59. It appears that Buddy is holding his nose and then doing something with his ear...to indicate to didn't like what was going on. And I have read similar things that he did during his time with Dorsey when he didn't like the charts, including making faces and gestures behind Sinatra when he was singing. Buddy, never shy about giving his opinion. :)

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Wow, even in 1941 the kit was still primitive. Always interesting to remember there are people still alive who are older than the drum set.

Morello Man

Reaction score
“Las Vegas Nights - The Last Frontier Town” - filmed Nov-Dec ‘40, released 24 March ‘41. Dave Tough was riding his china in early ‘40, at the latest, so some musicians were riding before rides, as we know them, were produced.