Buddy Rich And Double Bass

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I recently listened to Buddy play double bass. Pretty impressive, for someone who didn't play double bass.

What I wonder is, if he wanted to show folks that he could truly play double bass, why didn't he play them in a song? He could if he wanted to.

Anyone know?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And he never ever practiced - anything! He never even had a kit in any of his homes. It’s also said that he barely knew how to put a kit together. That’s part of what makes him so amazing IMHO.

As far as the double BD goes, Buddy was a real traditionalist, and he didn’t see the DBD as being traditional or necessary. He only did it to show Louie Bellson that he could. Even though they were good friends and Buddy really liked him, he felt upstaged when Louie did it first and had to show the world that it wasn’t a big deal to play them. Just Buddy being Buddy!

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently listened to Buddy play double bass. Pretty impressive, for someone who didn't play double bass.

What I wonder is, if he wanted to show folks that he could truly play double bass, why didn't he play them in a song? He could if he wanted to.

Anyone know?
I think Buddy could have incorporated double bass into his playing if he wanted to. But, my understanding is he had some disdain for the idea of double bass, and he had a pretty monstrous single bass foot in any event.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure he had talent, sure he was great. I just don't like him, and I've said why.
I hear you.

I just think a little understanding and empathy for the guy and how he grew up would go a long way towards enjoying his immense talents.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I hear you.

I just think a little understanding and empathy for the guy and how he grew up would go a long way towards enjoying his immense talents.
He had many years to learn how he should act, and how he should treat people. He never learned.

Look, you can feel any way you want him. I'm not going to like him, and you are not going to change my mind.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Anyone know?
From what I was told, this was a stint Buddy did to show the World that HE, BUDDY RICH was The Greatest. This came about when Buddy started hearing praises to Louie Bellson playing & using a second bass drum with Ellington. Buddy's response went something like, 'OH YEAH! I'll show you what playing two bass drums is all about!' And Buddy went out and did it. Now, as far as his practicing for this, I have no idea. But, I believe he did even though he always said his standard line, "I willed it that way!" I studied with Jazz Drummer Dave Christopher, who took lessons with Joe Morello for years and Joe had many, many Buddy stories. Anyway, according to Morello Buddy was a practicing fool. He practiced his behind off and never ever went on stage without being warmed up. There were even stories about Buddy sitting in an office off set of The Tonight Show warning up on a pad for an hour before going on. He was asked once ' why do you still put that much time in on a pad?' Buddy stated..."That's how I stay The Greatest!" Don't believe everything he said...he made himself out to be superman. But, I cannot deny, there are things he could do, that make me believe it! The most naturally gifted drummer in the history of the world!

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
From what I was told, this was a stint Buddy did to show the World that HE, BUDDY RICH was The Greatest. This came about when Buddy started hearing praises to Louie Bellson playing & using a second bass drum with Ellington. Buddy's response went something like, 'OH YEAH! I'll show you what playing two bass drums is all about!' And Buddy went out and did it. Now, as far as his practicing for this, I have no idea. But, I believe he did even though he always said his standard line, "I willed it that way!" I studied with Jazz Drummer Dave Christopher, who took lessons with Joe Morello for years and Joe had many, many Buddy stories. Anyway, according to Morello Buddy was a practicing fool. He practiced his behind off and never ever went on stage without being warmed up. There were even stories about Buddy sitting in an office off set of The Tonight Show warning up on a pad for an hour before going on. He was asked once ' why do you still put that much time in on a pad?' Buddy stated..."That's how I stay The Greatest!" Don't believe everything he said...he made himself out to be superman. But, I cannot deny, there are things he could do, that make me believe it! The most naturally gifted drummer in the history of the world!
I always thought that Buddy had to have spent some time practicing. No one will get that good without spending some time in the tool shed. Thanks for your insight.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really too bad that Buddy had to pull that stunt, just to "show up" Louie. What did that prove? Nothing, really.
They were actually very good friends. And yeah, “immature” Buddy had a lot of them.

He did it once, if he had wanted to “show up” Louie, he would have made it a regular part of his gig.