Buddy Rich And Double Bass

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I just read this book on Buddy and it was really good. I know Buddy could come across one way and be offensive but deep down I think he was a pretty decent guy. I mean he was super dedicated to the music he believed in and spent many many days, year after year playing concerts ranging from playing for queens to playing high schools. He basically lived his life out of a suitcase and I personally think he was a rare breed in that he never peaked and went downhill. I think his playing got better and better right up until he died. That blows me away!

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Years ago (8 or 9, judging by the date on it) I added eq and compression to make the double bass performance as 'metal' as possible. I don't know why I did that, in retrospect, but here it is.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard more great heartwarming stories about Buddy than bad ones ...

And the bad stories weren’t really bad .

He cussed at his band ?
Whoooopeee
Man I so agree!

I said it in another Buddy thread once, my father and my friends father’s wouldn’t have blinked an eye at Buddy’s personality and his sometimes rude behavior. It’s the way it was, hardscrabble kids growing up tough, competitive and hard. But all those men I knew had warm sides as well, just like Buddy did.

If it wasn’t for Buddy and his bigger than life personality and persona, what would we talk about about? How nice Louie Bellson and Ed Shaughnessy were? :confused:

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d much rather have some hardass be honest with me than to sugarcoat it to spare my feelings . You know what ? , When the boss bitches you out , either quit or keep pushing on . Life is tough and the world doesn’t care about you , toughen up a bit .

I had 3 kids to raise at 19 I knew then that my only chance was put my head down and go work , shut my trap and be valuable.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man I so agree!

I said it in another Buddy thread once, my father and my friends father’s wouldn’t have blinked an eye at Buddy’s personality and his sometimes rude behavior. It’s the way it was, hardscrabble kids growing up tough, competitive and hard. But all those men I knew had warm sides as well, just like Buddy did.

If it wasn’t for Buddy and his bigger than life personality and persona, what would we talk about about? How nice Louie Bellson and Ed Shaughnessy were? :confused:
Don’t you think it’s shallow for someone to presume they know who Buddy Rich was, or to judge him as a whole, based on single recording of him chewing out a bandmate for his unprofessionalism?

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t you think it’s shallow for someone to presume they know who Buddy Rich was, or to judge him as a whole, based on single recording of him chewing out a bandmate for his unprofessionalism?
BITD, more than one bandleader was known to be tough and even tyrannical. They weren’t all nice like Duke and Basie. But Buddy never lacked for musicians that wanted to play for him, and he had some long time players to, so my guess is he wasn’t as bad as some of the stories.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago (8 or 9, judging by the date on it) I added eq and compression to make the double bass performance as 'metal' as possible. I don't know why I did that, in retrospect, but here it is.

I love Bellson, but that Buddy clip has much more complex and chops worthy playing than Bellson ever did with two bass drums.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love Bellson, but that Buddy clip has much more complex and chops worthy playing than Bellson ever did with two bass drums.
That's a great observation. You made me go back and compare, and I would say your correct.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had an interaction with Buddy at the 1976 NAMM show in Chicago. He had an appearance at the Slingerland booth, played a bit, chatted with everybody and signed autographs. He was a total gentleman.

Unfortunately, I lost my autographed picture along with all of my old drum catalogs in a move years ago. I have no idea what happened to them.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Buddy was truly a freak of nature, for lack of a better term. He could truly play anything he could think of playing. As extreme as some of the technique is out there today, I‘ve never seen anyone as naturally talented as Buddy.

Morello Man

Reaction score
I had an interaction with Buddy at the 1976 NAMM show in Chicago. He had an appearance at the Slingerland booth, played a bit, chatted with everybody and signed autographs. He was a total gentleman.

Unfortunately, I lost my autographed picture along with all of my old drum catalogs in a move years ago. I have no idea what happened to them.