Buddy Rich books question?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
A quick question for those of you that have ALL the books on Buddy. Is it worth seeking a copy of "We Don't Play Requests" if you already have "Mister I Am the Band"? Both books are somewhat rare (and expensive) but since they are by the same author I'm thinking the later book (Mister) is perhaps just an updated version of Requests. Am I right on that it's mostly duplicate info, or is it worthwhile having both in the library?

Thanks!

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I'd go for "The Torment of Buddy Rich" or Jazz Improv Magazine's special issue on Buddy from a few years ago. Personally, I think "Mister" is the better of the two you mentioned.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go for "The Torment of Buddy Rich" or Jazz Improv Magazine's special issue on Buddy from a few years ago. Personally, I think "Mister" is the better of the two you mentioned.
I have all those (and others as well, Portrait of a Super Drummer, Traps, various magazine issues with Buddy cover stories, etc. ) but have never even seen a copy of "We Don't Play Requests" which is why I'm curious.

While I do tend to be a "completist" I don't want to spend a bunch of money on another book that is just an earlier version of one I already have.

Ickybaby

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. said:
I have all those (and others as well, Portrait of a Super Drummer, Traps, various magazine issues with Buddy cover stories, etc. ) but have never even seen a copy of "We Don't Play Requests" which is why I'm curious.

While I do tend to be a "completist" I don't want to spend a bunch of money on another book that is just an earlier version of one I already have.
No completist I know ever says "I don't want to spend...." . Instead I hear them say "I have to spend....".

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
K.O. - Who are the book authors?

Best,
skf
Doug Meriwether is the author of "We don't play requests" and listed as the co-author of "Mister, I am the band"

Both books are described as musical biographies/discography and that is what makes up the bulk of "Mister..." (which I have). Hence my thought that earlier book (1984) might contain mostly the same content with the later book being a revised version with a new title.

What It Is

Reaction score
I have both and think they're worth the money. They are unique in different ways and appeal to the Buddy fan. Get them!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have both and think they're worth the money. They are unique in different ways and appeal to the Buddy fan. Get them!
OK. You convinced me (not that it took that much convincing). :)

ReGaL Music

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
K.O. can't answer your specific question, but I do recommend "Traps - The Drum Wonder" by Mel Torme.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have only read Mel Torme's book (and loved it). Which of the above mentioned books would be the least technical and the most entertaining?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd recommend Mel's book as a first read and then follow up with "Torment" as an alternative view. Both are good.

lewy3958

Reaction score
Doug Meriwether is the author of "We don't play requests" and listed as the co-author of "Mister, I am the band"

Both books are described as musical biographies/discography and that is what makes up the bulk of "Mister..." (which I have). Hence my thought that earlier book (1984) might contain mostly the same content with the later book being a revised version with a new title.
Hi i have for sale the 1968 version of Super Drummer by Whitney Balliet , book is in great condition and is very rare .
I also have an un-used copy of " Mister i am the band " which is for sale too .

Enquiries to me please by e mail

lewy3958

Reaction score
OK. You convinced me (not that it took that much convincing). :)
I have for sale 4 books on Buddy Rich , Super drummer by Whitney Balliet , The torment of Buddy Rich , Traps the drum wonder , and Mister i am the Band which is unread .
Contact me by e mail if you are interested .

John

Latest posts