Buddy Rich drum tech??

sdstix

Reaction score
I grew up just south of Harrisburg, Pa. where Dale lives. My cousin had stage and sound connections for local spots and reminded me today that it was around '75 when Dale started with BR. Our fathers were part-time jazz players so we grew up seeing jazz bands on the fair circuits (Allentown, York, etc.) and small hotels in Pa. Buddy played them all. I think Steve Marcus (sax) was just starting with the band around when Dale started. And smoke sure did roll off the buses even then..

Like soooo many others his playing drove me to practice like a crazed kid. Can I please just have his left hand and bass drum foot ? I wore out my Dad's 'Big Swing Face' record.....

sd

jrfrond

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've always doubted Buddy had a proper drum tech, because, unfortunately, his drums usually sounded like crap. World's best drummer with crappy-sounding drums. Never understood it.
I hear ya...BR's best sounding drums, IMHO, were the 1960s WMP Rogers drumsets..

Mike Curotto
Yeah, he really made those Rogers sing! Who knows? Had he stuck with Rogers, they might still be here.

mickm

Reaction score
I grew up just south of Harrisburg, Pa. where Dale lives. My cousin had stage and sound connections for local spots and reminded me today that it was around '75 when Dale started with BR. Our fathers were part-time jazz players so we grew up seeing jazz bands on the fair circuits (Allentown, York, etc.) and small hotels in Pa. Buddy played them all. I think Steve Marcus (sax) was just starting with the band around when Dale started. And smoke sure did roll off the buses even then..

Like soooo many others his playing drove me to practice like a crazed kid. Can I please just have his left hand and bass drum foot ? I wore out my Dad's 'Big Swing Face' record.....

sd

I don't know about before or after but Dale was buddy's tech for seven years ('75-'82) before opening his shop.

Peterk256

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've always doubted Buddy had a proper drum tech, because, unfortunately, his drums usually sounded like crap. World's best drummer with crappy-sounding drums. Never understood it.
I read some place that Buddy said you don't tune drums, you tension them. I get the feeling he tensioned them for feel, not for tone. I could play better if I tensioned them as tight as he did but I would rather have it tuned for tone. Not that I could play one note as well as Buddy, but just sayin'.

blevey

Reaction score
I believe Stan Levey was Buddy's tech for a number of years and sat in when Buddy sang. Then, Steve Peck (married Cathy?) teched on the road for Buddy.
Never was dad a drum tech for Buddy!!! Buddy and Stan were friends and Buddy had great respect for dad and love that he boxed. Dad also was a pall bearer at Buddy’s funeral.

Vibes

Reaction score
So i wonder if it was Dale in 75 that i helped when Buddy played at our high school. I let him use a couple of my mics for Buddys set. He was fairly well built, long hair to his shoulders, and a full beard.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that whenever the band got a new chart, Buddy would have his tech, who was a very good player, read the chart once through with the band. Buddy would listen, and have the chart memorized after that one hearing.

LFBarfe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never was dad a drum tech for Buddy!!! Buddy and Stan were friends and Buddy had great respect for dad and love that he boxed. Dad also was a pall bearer at Buddy’s funeral.
I was thinking that your dad couldn't have sat in for Buddy because he was left-handed.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw buddy twice in early/mid 80s both at same place a fading motel ball room, no stage. I do not remember seeing a guy tear his drums down but do not know if that qualifies him as a drum Tec. This was shortly after a person had refurbished ( article was in Modern Drummer at that time) a WMP Radio King set with a 28 or 26 inch. As many of you know the mounted tom attached to the bass drum hoop. Buddy’s kit did too but a pair of vice grips had replaced the adjustment to secure the tom to the hoop. I really got a kick out of that. I wonder what Buddy would have said if I told him that looked hill billy!

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I thought before some one gets there panties in a bunch because of my hillbilly comment above because they do not share my sense of humor I would tell you I have a picture of myself playing out with a cement block setting in front of my bass drum so it would not move in the 80s sometime.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
I saw buddy twice in early/mid 80s both at same place a fading motel ball room, no stage. I do not remember seeing a guy tear his drums down but do not know if that qualifies him as a drum Tec. This was shortly after a person had refurbished ( article was in Modern Drummer at that time) a WMP Radio King set with a 28 or 26 inch. As many of you know the mounted tom attached to the bass drum hoop. Buddy’s kit did too but a pair of vice grips had replaced the adjustment to secure the tom to the hoop. I really got a kick out of that. I wonder what Buddy would have said if I told him that looked hill billy!
The drums (and vice-grip) you saw are now in the Smithsonian.

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bun the one he played out a lot in the mid late 80s? It might have been Charlie that they did the article on in MD about Buddy’s kit. I do not remember. I use to have that issue .

gkrk

Reaction score
I believe it was Joe McSweeney of Eames Drums who put together that old set of Radio Kings for Buddy. Charlie D. (I talked to him once on the phone about finding a 3 point strainer) might have said he was the one.

Velociamator

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Used to get down to Charlie Donnelly's shop in Newington. He found pieces for three drumsets of mine: Sparkling Pink Champagne, WMP, & that 3-pc. Ludwig & Ludwig White Avalon Pearl set. If you know me, you know it's all Ludwig all the time. He told me he'd book Gene's act in CT. back in the day. Oh, and he had that 9" Zilco Splash that I still use...I know he was controversial, but never a bad time w/me...

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Related tech question. Did Buddy always mic his drums and run them through the PA or only for outdoor shows?
Never read anything on that aspect of his gear.

crashtest drummy

Reaction score
Most of the time you would see him using one (or two) OH mics, a snare mic and a kick mic.
Seems as if he didn't care much about drum sound, just enough to keep up with a fully miced big band ;)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It was Joe MacSweeny that refurbished that set for Buddy. It started when Buddy made a comment that nobody knew how to build good drums anymore. Joe refurbished an old Radio King snare for Buddy and Buddy loved it. He liked it so much that he asked where the rest of the set was? Joe had to scramble and put together a set from old shells. He had some old WMP covering that he used and that became the set Buddy used. Buddy actually asked Joe near the end of his life to make him a 28" bass drum which he did. Sadly Buddy passed before Joe got to ship the drum to him. The drum still sits in the Eames shop that is now owned by Mark Kohler. I only saw Buddy once and it was when I was 13 in 1984. He was playing this Radio King set.

skydawg

Reaction score
I saw Buddy for the first time in `66 at the Lambertville Music Circus in NJ.In between sets,a middle-aged black guy came onstage and wiped the sweat from the drums with a towel.I assumed he was traveling with the band.