Buddy rich Eleanor Powell drum tap number

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nuts! They must have practiced the dancing with the music for hours.

Anchors aweigh, boys!

Morello Man

Reaction score
This clip of Powell impresses me even more than the BR one. She personally trained her dog for the performance!

I've never seen that clip with the dog before. Absolutely tremendous. Wonderous. Only feeling to compare was when I saw the Nicholas Brothers for the first time. We're all fortunate that this stuff exists on film. This is the gold standard.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've never seen that clip with the dog before. Absolutely tremendous. Wonderous. Only feeling to compare was when I saw the Nicholas Brothers for the first time. We're all fortunate that this stuff exists on film. This is the gold standard.
Ah, the Nicholas brothers. I have heard that if a film about them is ever made it would require computer generated imagery to pull off. Back to Eleanor - Rita Hayworth was pretty spectacular on the dance floor too,

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as we're talking about dancing, this clip has had over 63 million views in the past 6+ years so it's probably not new to some of you, but someone synched-up "Uptown Funk" with dancing from dozens of old movies, featuring steps from the following:

Fred Astaire
Ginger Rogers
Gene Kelly
Judy Garland
The Nicholas Brothers
Ray Bolger
Eleanor Powell
Ann Miller
James Cagney
Ruby Keeler
Shirley Temple
Bill Bojangles Robinson
Groucho Marx
Gracie Allen
Rita Hayworth
Frank Sinatra
Mickey Rooney
Betty Garret
Jules Munchin
Vera Allen
Bobby Van
Louise Brooks
Debbie Reynolds
Donald O'Connor
Cyd Charrise
Lucille Ball (cracking a whip!)
Phil Silvers
Jerry the Mouse
Laurel and Hardy
Moria Shearer
Buddy Ebsen
George Murphy
Louis Jordan
The Ritz Brothers
and Jean Harlow (starting the whole thing off)

Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I'll watch this and it never fails to make me feel better about the world.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
As long as we're talking about dancing, this clip has had over 63 million views in the past 6+ years so it's probably not new to some of you, but someone synched-up "Uptown Funk" with dancing from dozens of old movies, featuring steps from the following:

Fred Astaire
Ginger Rogers
Gene Kelly
Judy Garland
The Nicholas Brothers
Ray Bolger
Eleanor Powell
Ann Miller
James Cagney
Ruby Keeler
Shirley Temple
Bill Bojangles Robinson
Groucho Marx
Gracie Allen
Rita Hayworth
Frank Sinatra
Mickey Rooney
Betty Garret
Jules Munchin
Vera Allen
Bobby Van
Louise Brooks
Debbie Reynolds
Donald O'Connor
Cyd Charrise
Lucille Ball (cracking a whip!)
Phil Silvers
Jerry the Mouse
Laurel and Hardy
Moria Shearer
Buddy Ebsen
George Murphy
Louis Jordan
The Ritz Brothers
and Jean Harlow (starting the whole thing off)

Sometimes when I'm in a bad mood I'll watch this and it never fails to make me feel better about the world.

That was flipping awesome

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed about the Nicholas Brothers. Morello Man, if you start another thread on them, I will be there as I'm sure others will!

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
is this one long take, or very well edited? either way, it is impressive.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
There is a known connection between tap dancing and drumming, from the beginning on up to Steve Gadd and beyond. Starting at 46:30 in this clip Papa Jo Jones discusses some of the great tap dancers who inspired him:

Clayton Cameron gets into the tap dancing connection around 5:15 in this clip, which is a TED talk.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread - and yes, there is a definite connection between tap dancing and drumming, or any dancing, and drumming. I have always wondered why dancers connected with me and I with them.
On an unrelated note - I had always heard that Curly Howard from The Three Stooges was a very talented ballroom dancer, and that both before and during his Three Stooges period, he could go to local dance halls, and the women would practically fight each other to get dances with him. (Back in the day, they actually had dance halls, where people would go for dancing only - and those places didn't serve liquor, from what I've read.) His dancing talent was obvious in the Three Stooges films, and, at times, he did in fact dance, where it was obvious he knew what he was doing.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread - and yes, there is a definite connection between tap dancing and drumming, or any dancing, and drumming. I have always wondered why dancers connected with me and I with them.
On an unrelated note - I had always heard that Curly Howard from The Three Stooges was a very talented ballroom dancer, and that both before and during his Three Stooges period, he could go to local dance halls, and the women would practically fight each other to get dances with him. (Back in the day, they actually had dance halls, where people would go for dancing only - and those places didn't serve liquor, from what I've read.) His dancing talent was obvious in the Three Stooges films, and, at times, he did in fact dance, where it was obvious he knew what he was doing.

My man Curly - gettin' all the babes!