Buddy Rich in COLOR- 1943!!!

Deafmoon

Reaction score
Every time I see TD I think of the introduction he gave to Sinatra when meeting Buddy after Frank negotiated super hard for his contract. TD said, “ Frank. I’d like to introduce you to another pain in the ass, Buddy Rich.”

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
real piece o history there . thanks .

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the beginning of that video.....Mel Torme?

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Between 0:15 and 0:20 check out a) how high Buddy is sitting (remember, that's a 26" bass drum), and b) whatever the hell it is that he's sitting on (looks terribly uncomfortable).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, thanks hso.
It sure looks like him.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Between 0:15 and 0:20 check out a) how high Buddy is sitting (remember, that's a 26" bass drum), and b) whatever the hell it is that he's sitting on (looks terribly uncomfortable).
I don't think Buddy's sitting all that high.
When I started playing drums, the kit I bought didn't come with a throne, but my dad had a couple of old swivel adjustable office stools, so I commandeered one.
It was set at about 28"-29" high (my inseam is 30", so I was essentially standing up) and I didn't think twice about using it.
It was the only thing we had around to sit on!
Eventually, I learned the shortcoming of playing on a seat that was so high.
These days, my throne measures about 19" to top of the seat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like he's sitting on a big box, but I think its really a canister throne.
Back then, you could get a throne that was actually a can with a seat on top of it.
When you went to pack up, it became your hardware bag....hardware can.
They weren't uncommon at the time.
In fact, DW currently makes one.

Elvis

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think Buddy's sitting all that high.
When I started playing drums, the kit I bought didn't come with a throne, but my dad had a couple of old swivel adjustable office stools, so I commandeered one.
It was set at about 28"-29" high (my inseam is 30", so I was essentially standing up) and I didn't think twice about using it.
It was the only thing we had around to sit on!
Eventually, I learned the shortcoming of playing on a seat that was so high.
These days, my throne measures about 19" to top of the seat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It looks like he's sitting on a big box, but I think its really a canister throne.
Back then, you could get a throne that was actually a can with a seat on top of it.
When you went to pack up, it became your hardware bag....hardware can.
They weren't uncommon at the time.
In fact, DW currently makes one.

Elvis
I'm familiar with canister thrones — the modern ones are all at a 'standard' 24" height (I have my Tama throne dialed-in at around 23"). But I've never seen a canister throne that was square or rectangular, which is what Buddy was sitting on. It looks like he's sitting with the corner of it between his legs — NO WAY could I sit on something like that for a whole night!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
You know, I just noticed that. Yes, it some sort of rectangular box, but it does seem to have a padded top, and it seems to match his drums. I'm sure that must be some sort of seat. Maybe just not made for drummers specifically. Thats a very interesting thing!

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can't find the picture I'm looking for but I remember seeing Gene Krupa with a rectangular seat, found some videos and made stills of them - probably a trap case with padded seat.

Attachments

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A young Buddy Rich in 1943 with Tommy Dorsey....."Well Git It"

Some 35 years later, Buddy would play that tune again with Doc Seversen on The Tonight show.

Check out Buddys Sparkling New WMP Slingerland Radio Kings with calf heads!!!

So Cool!
Looks like the kit has no ride cymbal? There's an empty shell mount bracket.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He didn’t start playing a ride cymbal until ‘48 or so.
Perhaps, but starting with Shaw's band in 1939 Buddy always had a cymbal in the"ride" cymbal position, on the bass drum opposite the small tom. When he and Gene appeared in films that cymbal was often removed so the camera could get a clear view of their playing.

During the Dorsey band's rendition of "Hawaiian War Chant" in the film Ship Ahoy, Buddy's ride cymbal has been swung down and out of the way during his duet with Ziggy Elman, which was filmed with live sound.