Buddy Rich on Seinfeld

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Let's see how you do without all the assistance! Love it. I haven't listened to the bus tapes for quite a while. Just classic.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love that comedians have a special regard for those tapes. They really are epic

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! As a huge Seinfeld fan, I can't believe I've never heard of this connection.

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry is also enamored of the Paul Anka "The Guys Get Shirts" rant. If you're easily offended by real language, don't play the link.

KevinD

Reaction score
I wonder if Jerry is also enamored of the Paul Anka "The Guys Get Shirts" rant. If you're easily offended by real language, don't play the link.
I got a chuckle out of the kitchen guy cutting through to the back room to the get the jars of olives (or whatever)

I wonder if Joe ever showed up? I'll bet he made a F_-#!> maniac out of him.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
Jerry Seinfeld explains how three episodes of Seinfeld drew direct inspiration from Buddy Rich.

I think the anger stemmed from a number of reasons:

1. He was responsible for supporting his entire family from the time he was very young.

2. Never went to school because of reason #1, although he got minimal education from his parents on the road. I think this caused a certain sense of real-world insecurity and inferiority.

3. Never had a real childhood. He was working all the time.

4. It became hugely difficult to keep a big band on the road, especially when conventional knowledge said big bands were dead. It was his money that bankrolled the band: salaries, the bus, charts, everything.

5. He gave 100% every night. It infuriated him when the young musicians he hired and paid took the job less seriously than he did. The band carried his name; if a performance was sloppy, it directly reflected on him.

6. Still, I think the facial expressions were less anger than intensity. The anger came out in the supposed-to-be- private bus rants. He definitely had a right to be tough with his employees; if they didn’t like it, they were welcome to leave. Some did; others were fired right off the bandstand.

We’re viewing this from the current snowflake generation, something Buddy didn’t know from the old school bandleaders that he came up under.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

1. He was responsible for supporting his entire family from the time he was very young.

2. Never went to school because of reason #1, although he got minimal education from his parents on the road. I think this caused a certain sense of real-world insecurity and inferiority.

4. It became hugely difficult to keep a big band on the road, especially when conventional knowledge said big bands were dead. It was his money that bankrolled the band: salaries, the bus, charts, everything.

5. He gave 100% every night. It infuriated him when the young musicians he hired and paid took the job less seriously than he did. The band carried his name; if a performance was sloppy, it directly reflected on him.

6. Still, I think the facial expressions were less anger than intensity. The anger came out in the supposed-to-be- private bus rants. He definitely had a right to be tough with his employees; if they didn’t like it, they were welcome to leave. Some did; others were fired right off the bandstand.

We’re viewing this from the current snowflake generation, something Buddy didn’t know from the old school bandleaders that he came up under.
He wasn't just mean to the person who worked for him. Have you seen the clip of him attacking country music as being for brainless rubes while sharing the stage with Jim Nabors, who sang country music?

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Absolutely correct. Having recently read "Traps - The Drum Wonder: The Life of Buddy Rich" by Mel Torme, it verifies everything CSR said. And Buddy clearly DID have a sense of humor, as evidenced on countless talk shows. Very quick wit.

Not quite sure I want to portray myself as a man who knows his goober from his gomer, but that’s George Lindsey.
And George Lindsay (thankfully) never sang, as far as I know. Though, he did do a mean Cary Grant. "Judy, Judy, Judy."

CSR

Member since May 2000
Reaction score
He wasn't just mean to the person who worked for him. Have you seen the clip of him attacking country music as being for brainless rubes while sharing the stage with Jim Nabors, who sang country music?

I don’t think he was “mean” to anyone...demanding, a straight shooter with strong opinions...yes. Remember, he was talking about country music of that era...the “Hee Haw” years. He had a strong opinion about musical sophistication. Country music today is a much more sophisticated animal. I still personally don’t care for it, but that’s my personal musical opinion. I think you’re trolling for controversy here, which you are known for doing before. IMHO, of course.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I don’t think he was “mean” to anyone...demanding, a straight shooter with strong opinions...yes. Remember, he was talking about country music of that era...the “Hee Haw” years. He had a strong opinion about musical sophistication. Country music today is a much more sophisticated animal. I still personally don’t care for it, but that’s my personal musical opinion. I think you’re trolling for controversy here, which you are known for doing before. IMHO, of course.
Unfortunately for your argument, he cited Glenn Campbell as his example of an unschooled hillbilly.