Buddy Rich with Count Basie

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Basie in his autobiography noted that Buddy had played with him multiple times, and I've lamented the fact that there apparently weren't any recordings. Looks like I was wrong. Now if some of those gigs in the 60s would just show up. Buddy would have been 27 here.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Basie in his autobiography noted that Buddy had played with him multiple times, and I've lamented the fact that there apparently weren't any recordings. Looks like I was wrong. Now if some of those gigs in the 60s would just show up. Buddy would have been 27 here.

Illinois Jacket? Haha!

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh Buddy worshipped Basie. In fact he did a two week stint with Basie and told Bill to keep the pay, Buddy was just so over the top about playing with that band.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh Buddy worshipped Basie. In fact he did a two week stint with Basie and told Bill to keep the pay, Buddy was just so over the top about playing with that band.
Did not know that! Well, i guess now I have some insight as to why he might have been so hard on his band in later years. As great as they were, perhaps he was comparing them to Basie’s subconsciously.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Did not know that! Well, i guess now I have some insight as to why he might have been so hard on his band in later years. As great as they were, perhaps he was comparing them to Basie’s subconsciously.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Tommy Dorsey was a tough bandleader too and I think Buddy just came out of that generation. He had also played with and watched some of the greatest musicians to ever take a breath so I think he held his standards for others pretty high.