Buddy's snare drum prowess...championship level??

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey folks, the latest Buddy thread pop-up got me to thinking about this--forget about Buddy on the whole kit for a minute. How would his incredible snare technique match up with world-class snare drummers like Jeff Queen for an example?

I've always wondered if Buddy would be considered in the catagory of a world class snare drummer as opposed to what he is generally considered--worlds greatest drummer overall. Or was he just too unorthodox and unique to fit into the world of competitive snare drumming?

Put another way--it may sound just as good if not better audio-wise, but would it "fit in" on a visually level? Also, is what Buddy played in his heyday too outdated nowadays, still hip, or is he still ahead of his time? He did a LOT of snare work in his solos, and it was almost always mind-blowing stuff and it just got me to thinking about this....

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes! Buddy was a world-class snare drummer! Here he is on a YouTube video performing "Chavala" on his Slingerland 4x14 COW snare drum. Just beautiful to watch his sticking!

-Mark

slingerland 59 R/K snare

Reaction score
Yes! Buddy was a world-class snare drummer! Here he is on a YouTube video performing "Chavala" on his Slingerland 4x14 COW snare drum. Just beautiful to watch his sticking!

-Mark
I think Guys just look on youtube on Johnny Carson show when he was in his prime. Simply awesome drummer. My mentor.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score

-Mark
Here's much better clip of that concert where Buddy does some really funny stuff before he plays.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
Queen vs Rich?
Could be interesting.
However you couldn't get Jeff on mylar and you couldn't get Buddy on Kevlar. Two TOTALLY different approches are needed to play those heads and I think each is right where they should be.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, if there was reading involved...Buddy would have had to forfeit.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All these guys studied intently for years/decades, yet Buddy could slay them at age 65 waking up from a nap!! In his absolute prime years (1960-75ish?), he did things I've never seen another human being do on a snare drum (and kit for that matter).

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
All these guys studied intently for years/decades, yet Buddy could slay them at age 65 waking up from a nap!! In his absolute prime years (1960-75ish?), he did things I've never seen another human being do on a snare drum (and kit for that matter).
Buddy didn't know what he was doing. He just did it naturally.
I read a story in which Louie Bellson and a a drum teacher in New York were working on some finger control stuff. Buddy was there, just watching. Louie went to Buddy's gig that night, and Buddy was doing all the stuff they had been working on. Louie asked him how he copped so fast and Buddy said, "I just willed it."

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Queen vs Rich?
Could be interesting.
However you couldn't get Jeff on mylar and you couldn't get Buddy on Kevlar. Two TOTALLY different approches are needed to play those heads and I think each is right where they should be.
Jeff won 1994 DCI Individuals playing much of his solo on mylar. He used two snares, one of each!

Latest posts