Budget low volume cymbals

flatwins

Reaction score
I have a set of Zildjian L80s which I really like for home practice. I consider them the cream of the crop for low volume cymbals. So here’s the quest: I have a kit I’m going to pass on to the grandkids (at their parents’ request) and want to set it up with mesh heads and low volume cymbals. The cost of L80s is prohibitive so I’ve been looking at some of the budget LV cymbals on eBay and Reverb. Has anyone tried any of these? Wuhan has a set called ORA and I’ve even seen others that are knockoffs of L80s. They even have a fake Zildjian logo on them.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I recently played a set of Stagg Low Volume cymbals, and they were not bad at all. Probably identical to Thomann´s Millennium series.
Worth a try for 129,- IMHO.

1623314353177.png

midnightsupperclub

Reaction score
I tried everything I could get my hands on when I was searching for low volume cymbals some time back.

I think generally the comments from others on this forum are accurate. If you want the absolute quietest set of cymbals, I haven't found anything better than the Zildjians. Sabians are slightly louder, sound quite pleasant but are around the same price as the L80s.

I tried 3 different branded and unbranded sets from China. All sounded about the same. Quieter than regular cymbals, but definitely louder than the Zildjians. Hihats are ok, but crashes and rides tend to have some harsh or piercing overtones. If price was a concern, and you just need to cut down SOME volume but don't need the absolute quietest cymbals, you could consider the import ones.

I needed the absolute quietest set with a decent sound and feel, so I went with the L80s and a full set of Rtom Black Holes. I live in an apartment and now I can practice at 3am with no complaints. The amount I paid hurt a bit, but I have no regrets every time I get the urge to play late at night.