Building a Edrum Kit

toby7362

Reaction score
Hey all
Please help...I am a acoustic drummer that has been delving into the world of serums.
After using the spdsx and some triggers, i want to change it up and build a full e kit. I bought an old junky shell pack and will get some mesh heads, a brain, and cymbals but I need you help...
I need some mesh heads and some suggestions on what you all use. It seems drum tec are a pretty solid multi ply head system and that will work. Eventually, I will add internal triggers but for now, I’m just going to use external rolands I have to test out how I like this.

But the biggest question is the module...i really love Roland spdsx and what it can do. It just isn’t set up for a full kit. A feature I need is to import full song backing samples which the spdsx does with ease. I would love to stay with Roland but am open to other companies just as long as it doesn’t decrease my choice selection for cymbals when ready to purchase.

I have learned so much from this group already and I thank you. Please help me build this kit. I am very excited about it.

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
Hi Toby,

I recently tackled the same project. Someone gave me a Ludwig Combo Accent 5 piece kit. I bought Billy Blast 3 ply mesh heads, UFOdrums ebridges and rim condoms, a 32 input MegaDrum built and shipped by Dmitri, a PCY155 for ride (edge, center and bell), a PCY135 for hi-hat (mounted a magnet to bottom of pedal and mounted a sensor on the stirrup for the foot controller). I'm playing it into Behringer UMC202HD, hosting by Cantabile with Superior Drums 2 (and some other samples such as the ones provided by Jamstix). Really happy with the playability, drum sounds and overall low cost. Cantabile is very good for midi or wav playback.

I got a good amount of advice from a local drummer who has built several kits like this.

Last edited:

Latest posts