Building a Keef-ish Tele

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks killer.......
I appreciate that. I need to wire her up.

I was going to keep the aluminum knobs, but ultimately, they conduct and touching the knobs would ground the sound through me LOL I like look of the MXR-ish knobs.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When building a relic, nothing captures aging like cigarette smoke. This component, along with the UV reactive attributes of Nitrocellulose lacquer, is what makes for the beautiful patina a 50s through early 70s guitar possesses.

I will likely puff cigs (using a bottle to puff them) into my storage shed to achieve the aging effect a career in smoky clubs and bars would have on an instrument. Even the five cigarettes that have been puffed onto this guitar has started the process, as the tar not only tints, but also leaves a sticky film on the guitar. No wonder smoking does bad things to your body!

Last edited:

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
When building a relic, nothing captures aging like cigarette smoke. This component, along with the UV reactive attributes of Nitrocellulose lacquer, is what makes for the beautiful patina a 50s through early 70s guitar possesses.

I will likely puff cigs (using a bottle to puff them) into my storage shed to achieve the aging effect a career in smoky clubs and bars would have on an instrument. Even the five cigarettes that have been puffed onto this guitar has started the process, as the tar not only tints, but also leaves a sticky film on the guitar.
I think you should have done the cigar smoke thing before doing the wiring. Smoke makes great patina but also leaves a lot of residue in pickup bobins, pots and switches!

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think you should have done the cigar smoke thing before doing the wiring. Smoke makes great patina but also leaves a lot of residue in pickup bobins, pots and switches!
You’re probably right; however- all of the electronics were together on guitars that were used in such environments. Of course when wiring in new pickups, etc., the soldering could have been redone 1000 times! So, I may resolder connections and such after I finish set up. I wonder if the smoke didn’t affect oil in paper capacitors.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
You’re probably right; however- all of the electronics were together on guitars that were used in such environments. Of course when wiring in new pickups, etc., the soldering could have been redone 1000 times! So, I may resolder connections and such after I finish set up. I wonder if the smoke didn’t affect oil in paper capacitors.
My guess is... probably yes.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, I think so. The epoxy conformal coating is pretty much impervious to anything :)
I can’t get myself to pay the coin for NOS bumblebee or anything like that. If this were a true custom shop, I would go to the trouble (and expense!). Firstly, I wouldn’t use a Squier body and Mexican Fender neck! :p

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
She’s out getting a sun tan at the moment. She has definitely had her share of abuse in her short lifetime.

Masecar

Reaction score
I can’t get myself to pay the coin for NOS bumblebee or anything like that.
For what it's worth, Mojotone offer a reissue Bumblebee cap but it's still over twenty bucks.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while - this is a fascinating build. Great job so far!

EDIT: Bumblee haha

Last edited:

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
I can’t get myself to pay the coin for NOS bumblebee or anything like that. If this were a true custom shop, I would go to the trouble (and expense!). Firstly, I wouldn’t use a Squier body and Mexican Fender neck! :p
Yeah I know what you mean! But to set the record straight, the capacitor thing is just a hype. Sure you should buy good capacitors with good toreance and no fluctuations (important when you're filtering current). But let's be honest, the guitar cicrcuit is just a passive circuit and the capacitor serves only as a tone tool, and not even a good one btw. I've tested ceramic discs, sprague, paper in oil and whatnot in guitars and connected that to an oscilloscope. Differences where zero to none. In the long time I'm sure tolerances will take its toll (ceramics are way more instable than polyester or metal film), but I dare to say they will be negligible for most of our human ears!

Aspect-wise I'd say go for it. The looks play an important part in our perception of things (I will choose a medium level drum over a pro level if the pro level is ugly as sin! Yes I'm that vain!). And Bumblees sure look a lot better than a ceramic disc or even an orange drop chiclet :)

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Mojotone offer a reissue Bumblee cap but it's still over twenty bucks.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while - this is a fascinating build. Great job so far!
Thank you.

My goal is to not go for a reproduction or clone, but to add my own personal touches to make it *just* different enough. Replicating wear areas can be difficult, as sometimes the wood won’t cooperate! The grain underneath can have a lot to do with the wear spots on a body. I freed myself from the tight parameters of dead-on replica and this creation is where it’s gone.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean! But to set the record straight, the capacitor thing is just a hype. Sure you should buy good capacitors with good toreance and no fluctuations (important when you're filtering current). But let's be honest, the guitar cicrcuit is just a passive circuit and the capacitor serves only as a tone tool, and not even a good one btw. I've tested ceramic discs, sprague, paper in oil and whatnot in guitars and connected that to an oscilloscope. Differences where zero to none. In the long time I'm sure tolerances will take its toll (ceramics are way more instable than polyester or metal film), but I dare to say they will be negligible for most of our human ears!

Aspect-wise I'd say go for it. The looks play an important part in our perception of things (I will choose a medium level drum over a pro level if the pro level is ugly as sin! Yes I'm that vain!). And Bumblees sure look a lot better than a ceramic disc or even an orange drop chiclet :)
The saddest thing is that unless you were able to see what’s inside the guitar, you could *think* you know what’s in there and find out later that instead of stock wiring from a ‘53 Blackguard, it was modded many times. Pros go one of two ways on their gear: either they play it bone stock or they get to having “princess and the pea syndrome” and experiment with every little item. EVH was definitely the latter, with all due respect. It’s already HEAVILY disputed how Micawber and Malcolm are wired. Because of the visible grain, this guitar is more like Malcolm and not Micawber.

The saddest thing is that one could have the VERY guitar in their hands and will NEVER sound like the player in question. For the great players, tone is in their ten fingers more so than their gear. Billy Gibbons still sounds like Billy Gibbons playing an Asian Strat clone through a solid state amp as I WITNESSED this phenomenon.

Last edited:

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The pickup ring is important enough, so I spent the time to shave it. Happy with the result!

Pickup ring back on:

7472FF73-2F66-4CE7-85ED-4781D6E08CCF.jpeg