Building a marching snare drum

steppenwolph

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Total newb drum builder here. I am planning a build for a marching snare drum. I plan to keep it simple. Start with a Keller shell, 14" diameter and 12" deep. Stain the shell, put a marine grade poly on it. Add the hardware, install the heads and BAM! A drum! I am an experienced woodworker, so laying out a set of precision holes for hardware and drilling those holes is not an issue. Neither is finishing. But never having made a drum before (except out of an oatmeal container) I get the feeling there's stuff I don't know that could pose problems during the build. Also, I have questions!
How do I attach a sling?
How many plies do I want in my shell? Planning on a Keller Magnum shell.
Are there some design considerations I should look at before committing to the dimensions of 12" x 14"?
And snare beds! Most places I've looked, they won't cut snare beds on a shell as deep as I want! How to do this myself?
I can't wait to start banging on this thing

steppenwolph

Reaction score
This is the hardware I am considering, from Daville Drum Works
Snare Drum Hardware Package 10 Lug
Choose Chrome or Black Nickel: Chrome
Lug Selection (Includes gaskets): Arch2 Single End Lug Tom - $25.00
Mounting Screw Length: Shells up to 1/2"
Snare Strainer and Butt Combo (includes screws): Arch Throw /Butt Combo (CHROME ONLY) - $33.00
Tension Rods: I'll note my shell height in comment box - send length I need
Hoops (pair or set): 14" Triple Flange 2.3mm 10 Hole Snare Set
Snare Wires: 14" Puresound 20 Strand Blasters - $4.00
Add Evans Batter/Snare Drum Head Set: 14" G1 Coated Batter / 300 Snare Side - $26.00

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I recently reassembled a ludwig marcher that had been sitting on my workbench for over ten years. Not a new build but a couple of things to consider are the dimensions, wood construction and snares. Mine is 12x15 which is a nice robust size without going overboard (16”). I personally like the 15” better than the 14” because of the lower overall pitch. The shell on mine is mahogany with re-rings which I like for the warmth of the sound. I have a really great set of snares that I got from a member here that are a combo of wire and plastic. They give a dry articulate sound that is also very desirable. Good luck with yours!
3442C984-3F79-40C0-A1EA-E48740C6E561.jpeg
A6FBBE58-965B-4ED8-9A37-439552DAED77.jpeg

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Total newb drum builder here. I am planning a build for a marching snare drum. I plan to keep it simple. Start with a Keller shell, 14" diameter and 12" deep. Stain the shell, put a marine grade poly on it. Add the hardware, install the heads and BAM! A drum! I am an experienced woodworker, so laying out a set of precision holes for hardware and drilling those holes is not an issue. Neither is finishing. But never having made a drum before (except out of an oatmeal container) I get the feeling there's stuff I don't know that could pose problems during the build. Also, I have questions!
How do I attach a sling?
How many plies do I want in my shell? Planning on a Keller Magnum shell.
Are there some design considerations I should look at before committing to the dimensions of 12" x 14"?
And snare beds! Most places I've looked, they won't cut snare beds on a shell as deep as I want! How to do this myself?
I can't wait to start banging on this thing

It sounds like you have this down already, you dont need a lot of advice just a few points to mention along with the good info from Multijd. While you have the lay out, drilling and finish down already, and your going to purchase the shell with bearing edges already, lets just cover your questions real quick.

"How many plies do I want in my shell?

You say you "Planning on a Keller Magnum shell." - So, you have not said what the application for the drum is, but by building your own, I am guessing your maybe NOT going to be using it in a high tension environment? If so, that's an entirely different conversation about shell requirements. But addressing your Keller Magnum question, they come in three approximate sizes...

9 ply Magnum - 0.4 inches or 10 mm
7 ply Magnum - 0.25 inches or 6.4 mm
5 ply Magnum - 0.21 inches or 5.3 mm

It's a GREAT shell and I would opt for the 9 ply, 10MM option if your willing to carry the weight! It will take you to a wider tension range without to much worry about shell integrity. If weight is an issue, I still would not go thinner than the 6.4mm middle option.

"And snare beds! Most places I've looked, they won't cut snare beds on a shell as deep as I want! How to do this myself?" -

So I am tottaly at a loss why the person providing the shell and cutting the edges would not cut the beds of your choice but it's not a big deal. Many guys use a set of rasp files, but I prefer a peice of oak lumber about 1 1/4" wide wrapped with graduated grads of sandpaper. I measure out mark the shape of the bed with blue painters tape on each side and start out pretty aggressive with usually 80X grit and rough in my basic depth and clean up from there to around 180X. I'm curious why you need super deep beds but you obviously have a vision so go for it!

"How do I attach a sling?" -

While I do not know the application you have planned for this drum, I assume by referring to a sling that you are going to carry this is the old school traditional manor and swing it to the side of your body (as opposed to you saying you were looking for a "carrier"). If so you could simply find the comfortable balance point and mount a standard eye bolt through the shell. Just remember to use a set of wider washers to distribute the weight load around the mount.

OR... and I like this in case you are ever want to sell the drum and the next owner wants to use it on a set and does not want an eye bolt sticking out the side of the shell...use a mount that goes under a tension rod like this Ludwig (part #P40081 Carrying Hook ) and hook on to it there.

I'm excite to see your final build and make sure you share plenty of pics with us. Good luck and welcome to the boards, were glad your here!

Ward

PS, here is a 13X15" I built for a friend last year...

20180331_143522 copy.jpg

DSC07422.JPG

20180331_143921.jpg

Latest posts