Building a New Studio ... ... ... eventually

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, I'm building my studio. Went through the house and figured that the sunroom was the optimum sound room. High ceilings and windows and carpet. Very nice drum room. Excellent recorded sounds.

IMG_5097.jpg

We move the Island furniture out in preparation for my studio gear to be moved in and setup.

The day after we move the furniture out, we notice a dripping from one of the skylights. It’s leaking.

Roofer comes over and repairs both skylights.

58074572676__4903FC42-5BBF-4261-B5DC-BABF1C95B1FA.jpg

We get a rainstorm and I notice that the windows are leaking. We call the contractor and get him scheduled.

IMG_6906.jpg

I’ve still not set up anything in the studio. My PDP kit is still sitting where I left it in the sunroom. I have a quick writing session scheduled so we play in an empty sunroom. The guitarist notices a wet spot on the carpet in the corner.

57729911659__747F1A1B-78F1-4BFC-B9C0-E5716304D5DC (1).jpg

We both notice that the kitchen sink is on the opposite side of the wall and note that there is water on the pipes under the sink. Plumbers are called and the kitchen faucet is replaced and the piping all replaced. It was leaking.

IMG_7109.jpg

While the plumbers are checking out the leak, they open up the wall to ensure that was the only issue. Here’s what they found.

58100405398__FD328D31-D0EC-404A-8B02-5388E9807BF5.jpg

It is pooled water inside the wall and black mold … and termites.

IMG_7127.jpg

The carpeting and flooring is done-for in that spot. Those trails ... the termites actually ate part of the padding as they were working on the floor and wall. Never seen that before.

IMG_7132.jpg

Termites!!! The trails are all over those boards.

IMG_4715.jpg

Standing outside ... looking into the sunroom without a wall or floor.

IMG_7136.jpg

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fast forward several weeks ...

We traced the water to a bad roofing job done prior to us owning this house … the flashing was installed on TOP of the shingles … causing water to seep into the joint. This joint was attached to the sunroom wall, the pantry wall, and the kitchen wall. We noted the ceiling in the pantry had water damage.

IMG_7141.jpg

The ceiling and wall was removed in the pantry … which exposed a broken vent pipe. This pipe was allowing rainwater to seep down into the wall.

IMG_7140 (1).jpg

So … let’s recap.

We had to permanently remove the two skylights and replace the ceiling in those spots ... water leaked in.

We had to deal with a few of the large windows ... water leaked in.

We had to deal with the kitchen sink plumbing as it's on the adjoining wall because ... water leaked in.

We had to deal with the roof J-Channels and flashing that weren't installed correctly ... water leaked in.

We had to remove the floor and an entire wall and then deal with the outside siding ... water leaked in.

We had to deal with the pantry ceiling as it's also on the adjoining wall because ... you guessed it ... water leaked in.

We had to deal with a broken vent pipe because … anybody? … that’s right. Water leaked in.

... and finally -

We had to deal with the freekin termites that were attracted to the outside wall boards that were wet due to ... water leaking in.

All told ... two entire walls were torn down and rebuilt. The ceilings in the sunroom and the pantry were torn out and replaced. The ceiling and walls and shelving in the pantry are being rebuilt. The siding on the outside of the sunroom and pantry is being pulled and replaced. The kitchen faucet, valves, and joints and pipes are replaced. All of the windows had to be reseated.

58135875805__36FCFCAE-35B1-4410-96CA-38DA138A5AE4.jpg

The slider door was damaged beyond repair. Switched to a steel door access.

58197999817__B54CAF2F-77CE-4F17-8366-ED21FDC99702.jpg

Still to go … the entire sunroom and the pantry both have to be sheetrocked and floated and textured and painted. And of course, the carpeting has to be repaired and cleaned.

Luckily, we are insured.

Again ... all I wanted to do was move the furniture out ... and build my studio.

Seemed simple enough.

The glass half full ... It's WAY better to catch this stuff PRIOR to building the studio.

I am a very thankful man for that.

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Completed the siding today. Did the mold treatment for the pantry. Will sheetrock the pantry Monday. All next week will be the sheetrock work for the sunroom/studio.

IMG_7149.jpg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Completed the siding today. Did the mold treatment for the pantry. Will sheetrock the pantry Monday. All next week will be the sheetrock work for the sunroom/studio.
Lookin' good so far... also better to discover and correct now rather than if you sold the place and then found issues during the buyers inspection (and all the related headaches).

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sheetrock is up.
Mudding and taping and sanding just about complete.
Pulled the inset lights and picked up some new LED's for those spots.
Will most likely revisit that fan in the next few days ... I think it's days might be numbered, too.

IMG_7162.jpg

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sheetrock is up.
Mudding and taping and sanding just about complete.
Pulled the inset lights and picked up some new LED's for those spots.
Will most likely revisit that fan in the next few days ... I think it's days might be numbered, too.

View attachment 401426
Nah, throw a mic up on the fan, get a nice Leslie sound for the drums.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the old movie "The Money Pit" which is absolutely hilarious. Your situation is not hilarious however. I've had the faucet leak. Its a real pain. Fortunately it didnt lead to your other issues

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sounds like the old movie "The Money Pit" which is absolutely hilarious. Your situation is not hilarious however. I've had the faucet leak. Its a real pain. Fortunately it didnt lead to your other issues
LOVE that movie. Tom was hysterical. When that contractor drove away and that music played each time ... priceless.
Unfortunately, that faucet was a part of the issues. The water that was leaking was following the pipe through the wall and into the sunroom in that corner. Water was pooling from the adjoining wall and leaking in the same spot. That's one of the variables that added water to the room. That's what made it so ... as Python would say ... "OUT-ERRAAAH-juss".
But it's coming along.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, the joys of home ownership and (likely unpermitted) additions........glad you are fixing things. Last thing you need during a recording session is a waterfall!

All of a sudden, my "home studio" seems pretty far along considering I've done nothing and have none of these issues. Just need to paint, redo the floor & add the foam on the walls.........thanks for the inspiration and stay positive, man!

What It Is

Reaction score
For the want of a nail . . . glad you're doing this though and I hope it brings years of joy and happiness.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For the want of a nail . . . glad you're doing this though and I hope it brings years of joy and happiness.
Thank you. That's an incredibly gracious share. Appreciate it.

I sincerely appreciate all the notes I've received, both on this thread and through email from the members here. Life is all about how we respond to adversity. This one has been an interesting slice. I'm still smiling and laughing, though. I know that I'll have an incredible studio when it's all said and done.
I'll keep updating as we go.
They begin spraying today. Should take a few days, but we should get texture and paint on the surfaces.

It's interesting ... I was supposed to be on-location in Georgia shooting my next film. But the producer ran into a contractual snag with one of the female leads. That delay has allowed me to be here to take care of these issues ... thus allowing my wife to continue running her businesses unencumbered. Coincidence? I'll allow the reader to decide for themselves.

Last edited:

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Came into the thread jealous....got to the end of the thread humbled and impressed by your Spirit.

May you prosper in the adversity, may your testimony remain strong and positive and may your studio provide joy for years to come man!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All floated and textured. One layer of Primer has been applied. It's still in the drying phase, so it's looking splotchy to the camera. But danged if it still don't look better than before ... all water-soaked, moldy, and eaten up. I'm liking the walls and ceiling work so far.

We hit it either tonight or tomorrow night to pick out a new fan. I'm thinking something large and unusual ... the wife is leaning towards something more standard. When it's mounted next week, the reader will learn who won that variable ... I'm the sucker bet in this house.

IMG_7166.jpg
IMG_7167.jpg

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW! That is a lot of bad stuff.
I agree ... it certainly does appear so.
But, like life ... it's just perspective on the events. On the surface, it does indeed appear to be bad stuff ... but given some time to ruminate on it ... awesome!
I love that it happened like it did. I couldn't imagine having all those issues AFTER I set up my studio. I could have lost equipment. It could have revealed itself one issue ... wait ... wait ... the next issue ... wait ... wait ... the next issue ... for six times. I would have had six different work crews here helping me set it right ... and moving my equipment in and out ... dang.
It was so cool how it happened. I moved out the furniture ... and within a couple of hours, water started. It guided me towards the big issue behind the walls and the roof. That was really neat to go through. It's like I was rapidly walked through all six issues ... one at a time ... so they all could be addressed en masse.
I don't believe in coincidences. I believe I was being protected here.
So, I am one very grateful man.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
But, like life ... it's just perspective on the events. On the surface, it does indeed appear to be bad stuff ... but given some time to ruminate on it ... awesome!

I'd put that on a plaque hang in the studio Haiku

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Got some color on the walls and the ceiling patches are just about done. A bit more smoothing and cover should do it.

Took this moment to install recessed LED's all across the room ... eight total.

We also have installed our fan choice ... we actually compromised on this one. I wanted a propeller ... this fan does have character ... but it doesn't look like a propeller ... ... ... maybe I didn't actually win this one.

IMG_7184.jpg

Got the door painted and ready for prime time.

IMG_7185.jpg

Took the frames off the windows and found out why these were leaking ... absolutely zero insulation or tape ... and they were not even cut correctly. They were not nailed to anything!!! Unreal. Good thing we pulled them and are reinstalling them.

IMG_7178.jpg

For those of you who understand construction ... check out the ridiculous gaps around those windows ... that's empty space. And for what it's worth, those are not nailed to anything. They are just sitting freely there. The paint and trim was holding it all together ... unfortunately not a joke. Obviously these had a few nails on the outside, but no support on the inside.

58437833873__2CBE5611-6427-4819-8F4B-2EBFF120BEC1.jpg

Had to pull the siding in order to pull the windows. These will be complete tomorrow.

IMG_7183.jpg