Building a New Studio ... ... ... eventually

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of my favorite quotes by Churchill:

"When you are going through hell.....keep going!"

Good luck - can't wait for the final reveal. I am ALMOST motivated to start my home studio remodel this weekend.......

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like we are almost finished.

All of the outside work has been completed. New walls, windows re-installed and insulated, new door, etc.

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

The inside is almost complete.

The carpet pad has been replaced and the carpet has been repaired.

The team did an amazing job on the walls and ceiling. The windows look great with all new framing and are finally sealed in place.
The patch work is excellent. I'm very happy with the painting crew.

IMG_7190.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

Tomorrow morning, the UV 2-Way blinds get re-installed on the windows and the carpet gets a double-check and a deep clean.

I've still got to locate the door for that stair entry. I'm looking for a nice glass surround French inspired piece ... just haven't found it yet.

All in all ... it's turning out pretty sweet.

I will allow the carpet to dry all day tomorrow and then ... the weekend! I will begin building my studio. I cannot wait!!!

Desk assembly Saturday ... and DAWS equipment install. If there's still time ... I will setup my Noble & Cooley kit and get it mic'd.

Seems like a dream.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great! It has been a long road, but the results are great.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We are all so proud for you... this is going to be awesome and worth all the tribulation along the way!

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really cool man. I think the best part is how far you seem to be from neighbors. A drummer's dream.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry. I've received some emails and such concerning the "UV 2-Way Blinds". I wanted to clear up the topic on here for any others that might have questions about them.

They are a custom window covering that allows you to see out but others cannot see in.

Here's perhaps a couple of pictures that might help illustrate this.

No Blinds installed.
Note the ladder in the sunroom showing through in the window in the first picture ... and the person standing in the sunroom in the next picture.

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

This is with UV 2-Way Blinds installed.
There are quite a few items set up in the sunroom by the windows for the first picture. The window becomes a mirror of sorts for the outside. Even if you put your head against the pane, you cannot see into the room. It works the same in the daylight as it does at night.
The second picture was taken today while I await the carpet crew. It should give an overall idea of the window coverings in question.

IMG_7200.jpg

IMG_7199.jpg

I sincerely hope that assists in understanding. It's a very cool product for those of us that enjoy privacy and security. The carpet workmen will be here in about an hour. Looking forward to finally getting this piece of the puzzle completed.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow....excellent progress man! Must feel like Christmas is coming waiting to get your gear set up.

I don't envy your struggle-but I do envy your view...

I've been playing in the basement so long I can't imagine what it would be like to jam in a space like that!

Came close when my daughters found their husbands and moved out.... Two spare rooms!!!

......one.....two....GRAND KIDS and wife babysitting five days a week....

Back to the "bunker"....*sigh*

Congrats to you on hitting the finish line!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Building the foundational workstation base area. It's an 8x8 area that sits on top of the carpet. This is where the desk workstation and rack system will sit. Took forever to locate the materials that would work for this.

Picked out this top covering. Should look pretty cool with this faux natural wood covering. It is smooth and will allow the chair to roll around unimpeded.

IMG_5113.jpg

Went with a quality tongue in groove flooring board. Two joined and then two more turned 90 degrees and joined with 8,426 screws.
A simple vinyl layer stapled between as a dampener.

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7221.jpg

Then we built some wood edging in order to give the platform an anti-toe-stubbing protection. This gave it a beveled appearance.

IMG_7223.jpg

Should be cured and ready for prime time by noon tomorrow. I'll move the workstation and run the electronics then.

Computer Day Tomorrow!!!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dang, that's nice way to manage the platform for the workstation!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... ... ... aaaaaand that didn't work.

Back to the drawing board.

:banghead:

I had originally requested vinyl tile planks for the surface ... the builder believed this material to be stronger and superior to my request.
The chair didn't roll smoothly on the builder's covering choice. Too soft. Definitely strong ... just not hard enough.
So ... come Monday ... we try again.

We will rebuild it and ensure that the top is much harder.

"Eventually" is the operative word in the thread title.
We keep hammering away at this ... it will happen.
Staying upbeat and positive and knocking off the variables one at a time.

Just letting you guys know ... there's a request for insight into some drum Pre's and Mic's just around the corner. When we get there, please be open to fielding some inquiries from me. I've done my research and have narrowed it down to a handful of choices. I'll post that in another thread, I believe.
Thanks.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well that's a drag... but at least the anti-toe-stubbing angles on that platform are a clear winner!

10 Lug

Reaction score
Your perseverance is to be applauded. You will enjoy this space for years to come.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Round Two ... a success!!!

I was sold on the look of the softer vinyl, so it presented a challenge when covering it with harder materials.

But, we managed to locate an unreal match. Look carefully at the bottom left and you will see the plank on top of the soft vinyl.

IMG_7228.jpg

Got to cutting and fitting and locking in. Utilizing the length cut for the beveled edging. Finally, nailing the outer edges and beveled edge to keep it from "floating" ...

IMG_7229.jpg

Finished product meets my expectations. Chair rolls freely and wildly if you don't control it. Extremely smooth. Exactly what I was looking for. This workstation platform will work very well.

IMG_7231.jpg
IMG_7232.jpg

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow, that turned out nice. I probably would have just put the planks down on the horizontal surface and skipped the edge, but what a difference it makes!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m a very very clumsy man. I move quickly from point A to point D with no regard for points B or C. I have a deep and well developed history of foot injuries. The toe-protectors were at my wife’s insistence. I have to agree with her call. It will save my feet big time.

Latest posts