Building another darned Tele…

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep- soft maple with a figured maple top. Quarterpounder pick up with a Guitar Fetish nickel-plated Bigsby-ish bridge. I am thinking a dyed top with Tru Oil finish (love oil finishes).

Here is the body and neck:
91313ADA-4F1D-4EE1-B117-18D68F768C2B.png

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can’t identify the back wood. It acts a bit like mahogany, but definitely isn’t. It is super thirsty for oil. And the end cuts kinda suck. I think I will burst this after finishing the oil to seal and bring out the figure.

Pix to come.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
The back wood is called white wood, and he says it’s like poplar. This has more grain than poplar, but the ends feel just like poplar (rough). It will be a very cool instrument when finished.

Stay tuned…

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is a bit of funkiness with the top. Not a defect, just some natural voids as a result of the figuring. The “white” wood definitely looks a lot like ash in many ways. As more coats of oil get on, it reminds me more and more of the deep, open grain of ash. I am not going for a trapped finish, but it is definitely going to take a bit of work filling this. I will post pix after this coat of oil dries. It’s going to be a pretty cool instrument when completed. It may take me all summer to get the finish dialed in.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Slurry sanding is netting some nice results. Of course some of the slurry is somewhat filling the bridge mounting holes LOL I may not put the trem on this as the wood is gorgeous!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
This finishing style would be great for “natural” finished drum shells, as well.

I did a full sand back with 400 grit paper. I recoated and wiped the oil away. The wood is nominally smoother. This soft maple is a different animal altogether, but I dig it. Something tells me that this demands either a Duncan Antiquity or similar. I think the Quarter Pounder needs to go in the purple metallic body; this soft maple/whitewood is a bit too special for a weird pick up like a Quarter Pounder.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
As the Tru Oil builds, now I am digging this body even more. I may pop on a few more coats, do a hard sand back, and see where I am after another five coats. I may be able to trap the wood a bit more and make it look more polished. No pick guard; can’t get myself to cover that gorgeous figure.
A8BB667B-D96D-44D8-8FB3-0C70D3105323.jpeg

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I should have glued in the slug for the string anchor prior to finishing, so I am a bit behind on the back. I am wiping on micro coats and wiping back with a pair of jeans and it’s really starting to look great on the front. Definitely no pick guard. I play more like Keef when I play Teles, so it will be the 19th fret that wears, anyway. Pix to come…