Building compact portable kit

bamamule77

Reaction score
I spend a lot of time in hotels for work and I just can't get in to practice pad kits. So I'm thinking of putting together travel size e kit. One that will fit in a duffel or carry on size bag. Just kick-snare-hat and maybe 1 cymbal, hopefully all on 1 stand. Has anyone done this? What components would be best for this? Used stuff obviously.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Roland KD-7 is your most compact option for a kick. The Roland FD-8, paired with a simple 2-zone pad is your most compact option for a hihat. This could be mounted on an arm attached to your snare stand, but it would be simpler just to put it on its own stand, and easier to adjust. Same with your cymbal. Whatever pad you prefer for the snare, as long as it is compatible with whatever module you choose.

You could go with Yamaha equipment as well, and for less than comparable Roland gear.

Be advised, sales of frustrated apartment-dwelling edrummers abound, and I see no reason to think the situation in a hotel would be any different.

I would think the metal tubes of your stands would draw a lot of attention in a carry-on bag, assuming you will be flying.

jazzerone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends on whether you're staying at The Four Seasons or Motel 6. E-drums are not quiet, especially the rubber pads. Here's what you do: go in the kitchen and find yourself a plastic container lid. Now hit it with a drumstick. That's pretty close to what rubber pads sound like. Mesh pads are much quieter, more like a tennis ball bouncing off a racket. At 120bpm. In some situations the bigger problem will be the thud of your foot pedal on whatever kick drum rig you set up... tends to go right through the ceiling of your downstairs neighbor. Again, depends on where you'll be staying.

One possibility is the Roland SPD 20 or 30. I've actually used one of these in rehearsal and it's not bad, although it certainly won't give you the spatial relationship of a drum set up. But it's very compact, you can plug in a couple pads, a hi hat pedal and kick drum module.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
What Jazzerone said.

Since the OP said the pad kits weren't what he was after, I shied away from suggesting a percussion pad solution, but I love my Yamaha DTX Multi-12.

DannyPattersonMusic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A cheap (very portable) e-kit would be the (discountinued) Roland SPD-6 with 2 FS-5 pedals (for hi-hat and kick). I used this setup as a mini kit for some gigs quite a few years ago.

Everything fit inside a laptop bag.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your goal? Fun or some serious practice time?

If serious practice, then I'd give the pad set a better chance - a good one like the DW one. Or get a good gel practice pad and two of these: http://www.hansenfutz.com/

A portable practice kit that's edrum based is just going to blow for serious practicing. (Frankly they blow for most gigs too.) I have an ekit just for practicing. But it's a monster of mesh pads, cables, modules, rack, and an isolation platform for my neighbors...

If it was me I'd settle for really working the hands and feet on some pads and when you're home and can get to real drums, your efforts will pay off.