Built this snare to sell, but ...

jeffh

Reaction score
... now I'm having second thoughts. Took me about 15 seconds of road-test playing to fall in love with the sound and feel of this drum. And then, there's the look. :)

Steambent solid bubinga 6.5x14, with matching rerings, black nickel hardware, and solid brass lug posts. All-black Trick multi strainer, Evans heads, Puresound wires.

What to do, what to do?

2007316514A800.jpg

2007316514C800.jpg

2007316514D800.jpg

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Man, that’s stunning! I’d play that and never look back...

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
... now I'm having second thoughts. Took me about 15 seconds of road-test playing to fall in love with the sound and feel of this drum. And then, there's the look. :)

Steambent solid bubinga 6.5x14, with matching rerings, black nickel hardware, and solid brass lug posts. All-black Trick multi strainer, Evans heads, Puresound wires.

What to do, what to do?

View attachment 457545

View attachment 457547

View attachment 457548
But isn't this a risk you take with every snare drum you build? I have always heard that you don't choose a cat, a cat will choose you... I think you may have just been choosen! What a stunning work of art, and if the sound speaks to you the way it looks, I think it's already home!!! What a beautiful instrument.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You cant keep them all, i,ve been through this dilema. Your next one and the one after that, etc etc will all be keepers. Let them go and let the new owner do your advertising for you. Best money you will ever spend is through someone elses experience

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep it! That's a fine looking snare. When I find something I really like, I keep it. If I don't, I know I'll regret it later on.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Seriously, I'd have hundreds of snares and a bunch of kits around if I maintained that approach. And I'd need a bigger house. And I'd be single.
I'd love to have hundreds of kits and snares around, Lol!
In all seriousness though, I'm sure you see tons of drums you build but guess what? you posted about this exact one!
That means it's a keeper. It stood out, it spoke to you and you wanted reassurance from everyone here.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Franky from UNIX told me Bubinga was a game changer .

I know you , you’ll send it off to who bought it .
Can’t you build another ??

jeffh

Reaction score
I know you , you’ll send it off to who bought it .
Can’t you build another ??
Well, yes and no.

Every board is a little different, so it's easy to build another one that performs the same way (in the case of Bubinga), but this one has a pretty dramatic grain that appeals to me visually, for sure.

Meanwhile, it hasn't officially been offered for sale as of right now, so it hasn't been bought. :)

Last edited:

jeffh

Reaction score
The drum looks fantastic, but so do the pictures. Did you remove the logos from the heads?
Logos are off the heads for photos, yes. My normal practice* is to use Evans G1 Coated over Evans Snare 300, but if a client wants something different it's no problem to use other choices. So I don't want the brand on the head to be a factor in whether someone likes the drum or not. When the drum gets delivered it has normal brand logos on the heads.

*The reason these heads are my normal practice is to give the drum a "neutral" starting position in order to assess its character, sound, and performance. From there, you can decide on head choices with your own preferences in mind. I think it's important to select heads based on a drum's character, not the other way around.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well, yes and no.

Every board is a little different, so it's easy to build another one that performs the same way (in the case of Bubinga), but this one has a pretty dramatic grain that appeals to me visually, for sure.

Meanwhile, it hasn't officially been offered for sale as of right now, so it hasn't been bought. :)
Curious if you don't mind me asking, how much would a snare similar to that one go for?

Latest posts