Bullitt "Shifting Gears" (Movie vs Soundtrack) Earl Palmer, Stan Levey, Larry Bunker

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is the original motion picture version that supposedly credits Earl Palmer on Drums and Larry Bunker on Percussion.
Mostly steady Hi hat time throughout.
Recorded in Burbank, CA September 12-13 & 19, 1968:

This is the movie soundtrack album version with Stan Levey on Drums and Larry Bunker on Percussion, although a Lalo Schifrin site (the Composer) lists Bunker as the Drummer. (Carol Kaye-Elec. Bass)!
This version is a more punched up version and the drums are more Bossa Nova/Jazz oriented.
Recorded in Hollywood CA Dec 6-7, 1968

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good example of how much a song can be changed, by altering the beat.
Also, different drummers will play the same song differently.

Elvis

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I especially like the Charger although the Mustang is cool too! But as far as the drummers go that second track doesn’t sound like typical Stan Levey, he being a bebopper and not so much a backbeat player as I know him.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thing that I thought made the biggest difference between the two versions was the prominence of the bass guitar in the movie soundtrack album version. Carol Kaye, baby!

Mayan

Reaction score
When I first read the OP I thought “How did they make the streets of Burbank look so much like SF?!?” Then I realized you meant the drums and percussion were recorded in Burbank. I just woke up.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is the original motion picture version that supposedly credits Earl Palmer on Drums and Larry Bunker on Percussion.
Mostly steady Hi hat time throughout.
Recorded in Burbank, CA September 12-13 & 19, 1968:

This is the movie soundtrack album version with Stan Levey on Drums and Larry Bunker on Percussion, although a Lalo Schifrin site lists Bunker as the Drummer. (Carol Kaye-Elec. Bass)!
This version is a more punched up version and the drums are more Bossa Nova/Jazz oriented.
Recorded in Hollywood CA Dec 6-7, 1968

Love the movie and this part. Bill Hickman was the Charger driver. He was the jeep driver for Patton in the movie of the same a few years later

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And the switch to heavy snare back beat at about 2:01 when the Mustang fills the Charger's rearviews, second version.

Last edited:

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stan Levey was a monster. I took lessons from his son Bob back in the early 70s, but that was as close as I could get. He'd already stopped drumming and turned to photography.

rstange1

Reaction score
Nice! I especially like the Charger although the Mustang is cool too! But as far as the drummers go that second track doesn’t sound like typical Stan Levey, he being a bebopper and not so much a backbeat player as I know him.
I just finished reading the book Stan Levey - Jazz Heavyweight. So much thanks to all of those here that recommended it. Learned that Stan did a lot of studio work after his bebop days, learned to read charts, play mallet percussion, etc. So, yeah, quite a change from his early days.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just finished reading the book Stan Levey - Jazz Heavyweight. So much thanks to all of those here that recommended it. Learned that Stan did a lot of studio work after his bebop days, learned to read charts, play mallet percussion, etc. So, yeah, quite a change from his early days.
I read it last Summer. Great read!!