Burgundy/Merlot Sparkle...a question of aesthetics...opinions wanted.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I bought this set of Gretsch's last year and the wrap on the hoops was hopelessly trashed. I replaced it with merlot sparkle-that being the closest color to the burgundy sparkle- and the difference in color is noticeable; at least it is to me anyway. So, should I keep the merlot sparkle on the hoops or is there another wrap that might harmonize better with the burgundy sparkle wrap on the drums? Maybe silver sparkle or black galaxy? I don't know what I want to do yet and it may be not that noticeable to anyone else except me, but I would like to see what advice you all might provide. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG
Gretsch9.jpg

Topsy Turvy

Reaction score
Personally, I really dig the merlot sparkle, more so than the burgundy sparkle, as a wrap for the entire kit. I think the hoops would look cool with silver sparkle or maybe even wmp. I'd pass on the black galaxy though.

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
I see the difference, and my confusion over semantics isn’t going to help you any, but I thought with Gretsch that Burgundy and Merlot were the same thing? That’s how Steve Maxwell described it. (See :12) Could be a fading issue I suppose.

I could be attracted to silver sparkle inlay, to answer your question.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see the difference, and my confusion over semantics isn’t going to help you any, but I thought with Gretsch that Burgundy and Merlot were the same thing? That’s how Steve Maxwell described it. (See :12) Could be a fading issue I suppose.

I could be attracted to silver sparkle inlay, to answer your question.
Definitely not the same color. The drums were kept in cases their entire adult life and with the hoops off there is no difference in color between the surfaces exposed to sun and those that were not. So, no fading at all.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Silver. or natural hoops with some sort of tinting to them.
I did silver inlays for a piano black kit and tinted natural on a "peacock" kit. Both look nice. Drum Supply sells a burgundy sparkle that is supposed to be closer to the vintage stuff (Ludwig's anyway) but it is expensive and I believe only available as full sheets
peacock at rusty fox.JPG
20170727_200411.jpg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Silver. or natural hoops with some sort of tinting to them.
I did silver inlays for a piano black kit and tinted natural on a "peacock" kit. Both look nice. Drum Supply sells a burgundy sparkle that is supposed to be closer to the vintage stuff (Ludwig's anyway) but it is expensive and I believe only available as full sheets
.View attachment 394160View attachment 394162
Gulp! The burgundy sparkle is $189.00 a sheet! It does look good though. Thanks for the tip. The silver sparkle is looking better at that price.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
I would go with the Silver Sparkle. The glass glitter version might even look better.

Rogers used the SS on Mardi Gras drums, and black drums. It will look fine...

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm more a horder than collector, I did have 7 burgundy kits at one time! plus about 25 burgundy orphan shells. now I know thru some of the wrap suppliers you can now buy at least 4 different shades of burgundy, I have a gretch 20" hoop that has burgundy wrap on it, i'll sell the hoop complete or i'll pull the inlay off it if you would like to go that way. as for changing the inlay on your hoops I would check Walmart, they have tapes that come in sparkles & solid colors.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i'm more a horder than collector, I did have 7 burgundy kits at one time! plus about 25 burgundy orphan shells. now I know thru some of the wrap suppliers you can now buy at least 4 different shades of burgundy, I have a gretch 20" hoop that has burgundy wrap on it, i'll sell the hoop complete or i'll pull the inlay off it if you would like to go that way. as for changing the inlay on your hoops I would check Walmart, they have tapes that come in sparkles & solid colors.
Wow. That's a lot of burgundy sparkle. Thanks for the offer, but I believe I'll pass on the hoop. If you had two, it might make a difference, but right now I am leaning towards the silver sparkle. I looked at the Gretsch and Ludwig burgundy sparkle wrap being sold by Drum Supply, but I am afraid that if I spend $189.00 on one of their wraps, it still may not match. Like I mentioned. there is virtually no fading on the shells, but I don't want to make another mistake with something that is close, but not a match. I figure I've got that with the merlot, with which I am currently unhappy.

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I did have a Gretsch bass drum come to me last summer, had a lug shoved thru the shell, I managed to pull the wrap off with no problems, I sold it to a chap on either ( vintage drum forum or drum form) he was going to use it for inlays as well, sorry but I can't remember or find his name, maybe if he sees this he might reply to you?