Burgundy/Merlot Sparkle...a question of aesthetics...opinions wanted.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I did have a Gretsch bass drum come to me last summer, had a lug shoved thru the shell, I managed to pull the wrap off with no problems, I sold it to a chap on either ( vintage drum forum or drum form) he was going to use it for inlays as well, sorry but I can't remember or find his name, maybe if he sees this he might reply to you?
Thanks, Burgundy

marko52

Piper At the Gates of Dawn
Reaction score
I'd re-paint those hoops nice & glossy, & get the SS. I love the extra-wide inlays they used on Gretsch.........marko

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Tomorrow I head out for Los Angeles and made arrangements to drop off the hoops at Drum Doctors to have them refinished in gloss black paint and silver sparkle inlays. I'm nervous, but I think they will look better. I pick them up week from tomorrow on my way out of LA.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ludwig had a couple of snare drums at the show wrapped in what they called Burgundy Mist. It was a somewhat finer grain of sparkle but the color looked to be closer to the vintage stuff than Merlot (balancing right on that fine line between looking purple or brown). I thought they looked pretty close myself and I'd like to have a better matching snare for my Burgundy set but they were both out of my budget for the day. I don't know if that wrap is available by itself, probably not, although if it exists (and obviously it does) that is half the battle. Maybe some of it will become available at some point.

20190518_122730.jpg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ludwig had a couple of snare drums at the show wrapped in what they called Burgundy Mist. It was a somewhat finer grain of sparkle but the color looked to be closer to the vintage stuff than Merlot (balancing right on that fine line between looking purple or brown). I thought they looked pretty close myself and I'd like to have a better matching snare for my Burgundy set but they were both out of my budget for the day. I don't know if that wrap is available by itself, probably not, although if it exists (and obviously it does) that is half the battle. Maybe some of it will become available at some point.

View attachment 397764
That is pretty close. I saw an ad for burgundy mist somewhere and thought it was almost what I need, but after my experience with the merlot, I think the contrast of Silver sparkle will work well. I hope so anyway. I’ve put far more into this set than I wanted to, but I like it enough that I don’t plan to sell it for a long time. If I have any complaints, the snare sounds thinner than my maple Ludwigs.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The merlot sparkle looks great IMHO. Also that new Ludwig does look spot on. Likely all you need to do is buy merlot sparkle and let it age for about 30-40 years!

All that said your inlays look great. I would not be worried about it in the least. Once upon a time had a Gretsch 12 14 20 with matching snare in burgundy sparkle.

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
Silver would like nice. But the current style you have isn't bad. It's not the same but the colors are still in the same ball park so what you have is a monochromatic scheme going on. It's just a matter of taste. But if you have to change, silver would be classy.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
RogersLudwig:

Dont you worry, the Silver sparkle is gonna look GREAT with those Drums!

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
KO: Your 1940s set in the Peacock Wrap is like, gorgeous!!! I could just see some drummer in a tux and slicked back hair playing those!!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
KO: Your 1940s set in the Peacock Wrap is like, gorgeous!!! I could just see some drummer in a tux and slicked back hair playing those!!
Thanks!
I've only had them out on a gig once with my jazz trio but I plan to use them again sometime with my rock band once we start gigging more regularly, that would be cool (but I'd bring the more modern hardware).

I'm thinking some of that burgundy mist might have to come to my house someday, either on a new snare or 14x14 floor tom (or maybe both, if it matches well side by side with my Burgundy set).

IMG_1985.JPG

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks!
I've only had them out on a gig once with my jazz trio but I plan to use them again sometime with my rock band once we start gigging more regularly, that would be cool (but I'd bring the more modern hardware).

I'm thinking some of that burgundy mist might have to come to my house someday, either on a new snare or 14x14 floor tom (or maybe both, if it matches well side by side with my Burgundy set).

View attachment 399090

Yes, I'd agree to bring the more modern hardware to play with the rock band. But if you ever gig with a 1940s Swing band, "as is" would be perfect!!! nice Set! and your Burgundy set is SO classy and regal. I wish I had the space you must have to store drums!!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drum Doctor finished the hoops and they should be here by next week. The silver sparkle looks great in the pictures they sent. Pics of the set when the hoops arrive.

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please!! We need to see the pix....i know they are gonna look Great!

tdk

Reaction score
Hello
I would buy the matching wrap, which I have done before, cut what I need and sell the remaining wrap. I have a set recovered (NOT in merlot) and I have a couple original burgundy sparkle drums and there is really no difference. The only difference I see is that the original seems to have a bit of a copper tone to it but when I put the original 8x12 on the recovered bass drum you really have to look hard to tell if there is a difference. I would never go with a different color. I would keep it as original as possible.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, Drum Doctor did a nice job. Gloss black paint and silver sparkle inlays. the contrast was a bit startling at first, but it is growing on me. I like it better than the merlot sparkle.

I liked the idea of natural hoops, but these are the original hoops and it would have been too much work to remove all of the black paint, so only the inlays are new.

9Jun2019silverhoops.jpg
9Jun2019silverhoops2.jpg
9Jun2019silverhoops3.jpg

On another note, the Aquarian heads have been excellent. The snare head is about 8 months old, played as least an hour a day, usually more, and it still has lots of coating on it.

Last edited: