Burning off 60s Drum Wrap

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Well, I did it. I intentionally burned the wrap off a set of 60s Ludwigs I am restoring. I have been restoring old Ludwigs for years and have always painstakingly removed old wrap with a heat gun and solvent. It takes forever and I always seem to pull up a little bit of Mahogany.

I’d seen videos of people just setting them on fire, but thought it was a novelty. Well, I thought, “what the heck? I’ll give it a try.”

I did it and the wrap was gone in seconds. All the residue flakes off and the drums just needs 220 grit sand paper to clean it up. Voila!

However, you do need to ensure you are in an open area with no structures or flammable materials nearby. I kept a garden hose handy and used fireplace gloves. Toms are easy, but the bass drum was quite intense. Not for the faint at heart.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
now that's entertainment

wait how did he put it out did he have to call Red Adair?
It went out on it's own
Damn that's convenient
(incredible
who knew

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see anything 'dropping off just up in smoke (?
Gotta be my vote for greatest Drum video of all time.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've done it on purpose on a few occasions (and accidentally on others). Old drum wrap is not too far removed chemically from smokeless powder (guncotton) and burns almost as fiercely. So fast that it doesn't do much more than blacken the outer ply of the shell. I typically start trying to peel the wrap using a hair dryer (safer than a heat gun which can quickly ignite the wrap if you stay in one spot for too long). If that fails I might upgrade to a heat gun and if it's still slow going and bringing up mahogany chunks I'll move on to burning it off. Generally I've had to resort to this on Slingerland drums. It seems they really got their wrap on tight.

The pyro in me used to enjoy burning the old wrap that I peeled off drums but now I tend to save it just in case I might need a little piece for some repair down the road.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this the method used at Precision Drum Co. ?

; ) Seriously how do they- re wrap
so many and so often.. anyone know anyone seen it done (there)?

Their turnaround time seems awfully fast ; )
(!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got a 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo kit where all the original "Sparkling Red Pearl" wrap has micro cracks everywhere, causing it to look like white flakes. Every drum is the same!

I haven't removed Slingerland wrap for about 15 years now, but I remember it being extremely difficult using a heat gun and a scraper. I'd love to try burning it off, but I just don't think I have a safe enough area to do it. Besides, I live just south of the El Dorado fire in Yucaipa. I don't need to do anything stupid!

-Mark

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen that video, too......I was hoping for another..... :)

I have some old RK shells with bad, faded, cracked WMP wrap - I am tempted to do this but the wrap peels off so easily...

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
I've got a 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo kit where all the original "Sparkling Red Pearl" wrap has micro cracks everywhere, causing it to look like white flakes. Every drum is the same!

I haven't removed Slingerland wrap for about 15 years now, but I remember it being extremely difficult using a heat gun and a scraper. I'd love to try burning it off, but I just don't think I have a safe enough area to do it. Besides, I live just south of the El Dorado fire in Yucaipa. I don't need to do anything stupid!

-Mark
Mark,
Leave it alone if you are the least bit concerned.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Is this the method used at Precision Drum Co. ?

; ) Seriously how do they- re wrap
so many and so often.. anyone know anyone seen it done (there)?

Their turnaround time seems awfully fast ; )
(!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I saw that video years ago and so tried it on my old Slingerlands . It works...gone in 10 seconds. A bit of sanding off the soot and random flakes.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
I would be concerned with the inner ply glue warming and then cooling differently. Those drums from 60 years ago could get damaged. But to each his own.