Bust out your Leedys!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I looked and didn't see an old one so I thought I'd make a Leedy thread.
Post pictures of your Leedy drums and as much info as you can share!

Go!

jmoll

Reaction score
Leedy Broadway Standard in White Marine Pearl from June of 1936 and Leedy 16"x12" Marching Snare in Gold Sparkle Full Dress from April of 1941 (I'm planning on make a bass drum with this one)

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Carried around this 1940's Leedy bass drum since I was 15. Finally stripped it down and got some buddies for it to hang with. Bass makes a great coffee table now. :)

I've never played a tacked-head tom. How did that work out? Is that bass a 28"?

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Which do you prefer?
It's a tough call. My Leedy kit was from the Slingerland era, and I absolutely LOVE Slingerland drums from the 1960s. I have a 1966 Slingerland Gene Krupa model 1n kit that is as clean as my Leedy kit was. That really does help me with the pain of loosing the Leedys.

The Gretsch round badge kit is a different animal though. I'm a really lucky guy to have both sounds to choose from. I really can't pick a winner.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
1939 8X14 Broadway Parallel. Has a calf snare side head and an early Weather King Diplomat Concert Batter head. Someone installed a key holder on the side but it came loaded with an old Roger's key so I don't mind.

Early 1930's? 12X24 Reliance bass. Both heads are calf. Love the painted head. There is no heater but there is a hole in the shell for one. I would like to find one at some point. Originally I was planning to strip the paint off of the shell but the drum sounds so killer I hate to mess with the heads.
20181124_150541.jpg
I wasn't sure about the single tension rods tightening both heads but it is so easy I wish all of my drums were that way. My bandmates nicked named it "Thumper".

Attachments