Buy/Play/Pass: Which lower-priced kit would you & why?

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are your choices — from three major Japanese brands — in alphabetical order, all links/info per GuitarCenter.com at the moment:

Pearl Decade Maple 3-Piece Shell Pack $679

TAMA Superstar Classic 5-Piece Shell Pack $799

Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5-Piece Shell Pack with 22" Bass Drum $679

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Buy Yamaha due to experience with this series, and reputation.
Play Tama same reason, but would rather play the Yamaha as well Lol.
Pass: Pearl simply because no experience with it and someone need to be last

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
My local shop had a Tama Superstar Classic and having the opportunity to play it and Halldor’s recommendation makes this my choice . I was really impressed with the build quality and sound of the Tama .

I like the Yamaha Stage accustom far more than the Pearl . Just not a Pearl fan at all.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've played the Yamaha and the Pearl, bit not the Tama. So Yamaha all day, then Pearl, then Tama.

Dan

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the Tama for a few years and it was ok. It didn't have a lot projection or power (maybe the same thing), and the low end was lacking in the toms. The overall tone was good and modern and I'm sure it would record well.

Once I setup my original Superstar kit I realized what was missing. Punch.

From that list I'd get the Yamaha. I like birch toms if they are using quality birch, which I don't know since I haven't played the Yamaha but I've heard it live and it sounded good. If it can stand up to my maple customs then I'd definitely pick one up.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
All worthy contenders, I'd probably go with Tama or Yamaha if I had to. But there are so many drums out there that can be found used for that kind of money that are both more interesting and better deals!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
As much as I love Tama's I'd go Yamaha, Tama, Pearl here. I found the modern Superstars to be just too light. And for this amount of money, you could probably run across a decent quality used kit in 1980's Tama Superstars or Yamaha Tours/Tour Customs.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At that price point....I would buy used from DFO or Craigslist.

If you put my feet to the fire for one of those kits?

I would probably buy the ne that had the coolest wrap or lacquer.

Just don’t see that much *tangible* difference between them, and to pick on Pearl for having ugly hardware seems petty at this price point lol.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
As much as I love Tama's I'd go Yamaha, Tama, Pearl here. I found the modern Superstars to be just too light. And for this amount of money, you could probably run across a decent quality used kit in 1980's Tama Superstars or Yamaha Tours/Tour Customs.
Yeah, to go with that point, a more interesting kit would be the older 80's Tour Customs to me. Rock Tour Custom from that era have been on my list for years now. They come up for sale locally now and then but I haven't been in the right $ituation to buy yet.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
what are the Sizes you want (exactly do you have an exactly?.
I don't want any of these—the kit specs are in each link. It's just to see which of these three inexpensive kits drummers would choose to...
Buy:
Play:
Pass:

If these were the three kits you had to shop for on the market, which one would fit in which category? Only DWSlingerland45 has filled this out correctly.

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, the inspiration for this thread came from here:

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
BTW, the inspiration for this thread came from here:
Haven't touched any of those kits, but wouldn't turn my nose up at any of them. I have not heard a bad thing about any of them.
Small trucks? Older Toyotas only... up to '95 with a 22RE.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I looked to see what is available for $700 used on the Music Go Round site. Right off the top of my head I saw a Gretsch Renown and a Tama Starclassic. Guitar Center has similar options. If I were looking to spend around $700 on a shell pack, I'd start there.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
The last lower end kit I bought was my Pearl Wood/Fiberglass kit which is my studio kit. Love it! That being said, I don’t do lower end kits. If I had to make a choice of those three, the Yammies all day...

Latest posts