Buyer Beware - Cheap Aluminum Hoops

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Description says aluminum, but I'd bet dollars to burritos that they are actually die cast zinc, like every die cast hoop I've come across. Except for the yamaha aluminum die cast. Or maybe there's more. I dunno.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Description says aluminum, but I'd bet dollars to burritos that they are actually die cast zinc, like every die cast hoop I've come across. Except for the yamaha aluminum die cast. Or maybe there's more. I dunno.
I have a pair. Rough quality, but definitely aluminum, as they are light as a feather. I also have many pairs of the Yamaha ones.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Chinese ones on Ebay that actually say die cast are stamped steel 1.6.
Been there done that and to ship back is more than you paid.
Very easy to tell as the zinc are about twice as heavy as the alu.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I’ve had mine from them for about two years now. No problems at all
Same here.
These cast aluminum hoops were a bargain at the time at $22 shipped for a complete pair and I've had my set installed on a drum for a year with no issues whatsoever.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
But you opened a topic. And you still stared a return?

Ok.

How much did you pay for them?
Yes - Opened a topic to warn the group that I got junk and I'm hoping to save someone else time/trouble. I think the thread has been useful because others have said their rims are good.

Yes - Still started a return because I didn't get what I ordered; ie, 2 bottoms. So, to clarify, if I open a topic I shouldn't return?

Ok, ok.

I paid $36.

ian.thomas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Holes are drilled. It's the excess chrome plating that isn't punched through sometimes. A punch or even a pencil will accomplish it.
To be clear, only 1 of the 4 holes on the ones I received can be punched. The other 3 are still solid, to be drilled, metal.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are the sonic benefits of these alu hoops?

I remember way back removing the yamaha ones from my absolute kit and much preferring the 1.6 hoops I replaced them with. Drums opened right up.

Fast forward 15 years maybe my ears would like the alu ones now.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are the sonic benefits of these alu hoops?

I remember way back removing the yamaha ones from my absolute kit and much preferring the 1.6 hoops I replaced them with. Drums opened right up.

Fast forward 15 years maybe my ears would like the alu ones now.

The Yamaha hoops open the drum up noticeably with more sensitivity and harmonics .

No thanks to the CCP product , even though they're a fraction of the cost .

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Rims are so cheap at drum factory direct (they have 1.6's as well) why would you buy on ebay from over yonder? (yes I realize they are probably all from the same place but...)

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Rims are so cheap at drum factory direct (they have 1.6's as well) why would you buy on ebay from over yonder? (yes I realize they are probably all from the same place but...)
If they really are aluminum die cast hoops, it would be a better deal than DFD. But yes, for triple flanged hoops DFD all day.