Buyers Beware.....

Titanium7570

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
:oops: First thing this morning I notice a nice set of 1964 Ludwig Red Sparkle's on the Denver Craigslist so I call and discuss with Josh Ortega make a deal but he ask for a money order. I leave go out pickup the money order for $700.00 plus handling. My friend has a company there and he agreed to deliver them there. So I come back home send an Email asking for his address and no reply... well no problem it's Sunday morning and maybe he's at chruch or something, I wait a couple of hours place a call and no asnwer. Well late tonight I received the email below.

I was going to add this set to my 15 year old son vintage collection and discussed it with Josh..
keep reading below is his response

I did run his phone number through the reverse and found his home address if it were in my younger days I would kick this kids Butt, I may have my Son-in-law file in Small Claims Court since he's a lawyer and the way I see it we have a Legal Binding Contract confirmed by his email below.

Josh Ortega's Email quote....

..ok, so a local guy came buy and gave me $1000 cash, I know we had a deal but business is business, I couldint pass it up i apologize i you probably think im a dick and sorry for your son, but like I said business is business and money talks also it was a local craigslist thing and driving to golden or shipping wouldve been a hassle for me, and i would have uped the price anyway. thanks for the pics of the cool finishes you seem like a real cool dude. sorry and good luck finding a vintage kit.

Between Evil-Bay and Craigslist it's getting hard to trust anybody.

Just Pissed Off and Venting... Sorry.

Darrell :evil:

9Lb Tongue

Darrell..it's Craigslist...I really don't think that email is a binding contract. he can do whatever he wants with the drums. Money talks...especially local money...no shipping no problems...
sorry you didn't get them. There's always more drums to come...

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ha, I called him last night and said I'd pick it up this morning for the original $500 he listed it for. He said sure, and he'd hold them for me. Then he called back 20 minutes later and said someone offered him $700 and would pick them up last night, but since I called first he'd hold it for me and give me a deal for $650... He also used exactly the same "business is business" jargon. I smelled a rat and said I would not play his games. Then this morning the listing was upped to $700.

This guy is bad news.

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
I don't get how you guys can extend cross-country trust to a complete stranger on a $1000 Craigslist deal. That's just too risky for me. I'll stick with local deals, thank you.

Titanium7570

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yea I have to agree it's only Craigslist, but your only as good as you word... it's getting harder and harder to just send money to someone you don't know and to trust they will follow through. I'm just happy it was Sunday and I didn't send the money order and then never heard from him again.

Darrell

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Titanium7570 said:
Yea I have to agree it's only Craigslist, but your only as good as you word... it's getting harder and harder to just send money to someone you don't know and to trust they will follow through. I'm just happy it was Sunday and I didn't send the money order and then never heard from him again.

Darrell

Dang, I would never send a MO to have anything shipped from a Craigslist ad. Local transactions only for Craigies.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Craigslist, for me anyway, is a local only deal. You have to act quick and have cash at hand. But, be warned, there are flakes o' plenty, buyers included.

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mendozart said:
Craigslist, for me anyway, is a local only deal. You have to act quick and have cash at hand. But, be warned, there are flakes o' plenty, buyers included.

Agree 100% Wish there was some way to make people who list things actually replay when you answer their ad. Very frustrating to not get any response, door or bad. I have had someone reply 4 days later (suddenly sick)and made a buy for original price as I was the frst to respond - but by far the exception.

Now I answer and stop thinking about it unless I get a response.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Anything outside of a 120 mile radius, a two hour drive or thereabouts---no way. If it 's farther than that, then I don't need it.

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
Craigslist is NOT Ebay, no protection whatsoever in sending funds to a total stranger. I think the guy did you a favor and it only cost you a couple of bucks in a lesson instead of possibly $700.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
for me,the value of craigs list has also dropped with the increase in the price of fuel. if i find a great deal,once i calculate in the fuel costs, its just a regular price by then. i still check it thoroughly several times a day however. not too many drum related items in my area at all.

mike