Buying a drum from Taiwan — question

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got my eye on a drum being sold by a guy in Taiwan. In his description, though, the seller mentions that the buyer will be responsible for any duties and taxes.

Just curious how exorbitant those might end up being to see if it’s worth it. Anyone have any experience on this front? I’m in the United Stares, btw.

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FYI...I dealt with a shell builder from Indonesia that ripped me a new one!!..Im in Canada and I got screwed by this lying, cheating, thief. Long story, but from my experience....RRRRUUUUUNNNNN

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In the customs tariff, all drums fall under a single tariff number that carries a 4.8% rate of duty. Multiply that by the declared value for the amount due. There will also certainly been a brokerage charge to clear the goods, maybe say...$30 (just a ballpark guess). Freight charges to the carrier also (couldn't hazard a guess on that).

If they are clearly covering "all customs and freight charges" you should be good to pay just the cost of the drum. If they don't cover those, this gives you a very general idea of the costs, but don't quote me!

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a drum out of Denmark and it was shipped FedEx or DHL [can't remember at the moment] and the seller had all of that rolled into the cost. Both FedEx and DHL will handle the customs brokerage on the shipment.

dogmanaut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I contacted the seller to ask if he could give me a ballpark idea of what to expect. He didn’t do that, but instead offered to list it as a gift and value it at $100, which he said would avoid all fees, etc. And well... I gotta say, that sounds like a terrible idea to me. If I’m having something shipped from the other side of the world, I want it to be properly insured and not risk getting held up in customs or whatever. So, not quite the answer I was hoping for.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I contacted the seller to ask if he could give me a ballpark idea of what to expect. He didn’t do that, but instead offered to list it as a gift and value it at $100, which he said would avoid all fees, etc. And well... I gotta say, that sounds like a terrible idea to me. If I’m having something shipped from the other side of the world, I want it to be properly insured and not risk getting held up in customs or whatever. So, not quite the answer I was hoping for.
That is customs fraud. If he is willing to do that I would question his integrity. I would look elsewhere.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Let me guess what has to be gotten from Taiwan (that cannot be gotten here.

Ok I give.