Buying a new drum set.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I recently was really intrigued by the new pearl phenolic president series drum set and I just kinda went for it. I made the purchase via credit card through sweetwater since I am trying to build my credit. But as I’ve been reading it seems a lot of people are unimpressed and think they’re not worth the money. I’ve also paid the shipping on top of the original purchase. Shy of around 4K all said and done. Should I stick with it? Or should I get a different kit, maybe even build a new one, with new cymbals, hardware, channel mixer and drum mics. Budget needs to stay below 4K but I figured I’m spending that either or. So I want to hear your guys opinions. Thanks!

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
That set is sort of a retro, limited edition, collector type deal. $4K buys a lot of drums, so grabbing that set impulsively is like drunk dialing an ex girlfriend.
correct, but they’re also only making 100 ever, and only 25 sent to the USA. That’s why I made the move. But now Im wondering if I should cancel and do something else. I already have another set, but it was going to be my studio set.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I would return it posthaste. First, they are wayyy overpriced.

They may sound unique, but there's a reason nobody makes phenolic drums. They don't sound that good IMHO, and I'm sure most people would prefer any other material over these. There are so many better drum kits out there you can get for $4k!

I assume you have other drum kits, so maybe you're filling a more niche role in your kit lineup, but if you don't have any other great kits, I'd avoid the phenolic and get something truly great-sounding and versatile.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're not really sure what you like, I would steer you clear of ordering something custom or "building" something. There is really no need to spend anywhere near 4k for a great sounding drum set. Maybe you should try a few things in the 1-2k range and see what you like before you try to get the end-all-be-all set of your dreams. Ludwig Classic Maple, Tama Starclassic, DW Collectors, buy something used and enjoy it for awhile.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Better learn..How to spend 4K! before you spend...4K!
I mean you must have wanted them once.
I mean I can still cancel the order and switch it up, so if you think I should, what would you spend the 4K on?

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

SteveParadis

Reaction score
So many options. And so many different kits and brands. Personally I would pay attention to the reviews. You could get a killer set for that kind of money. One thing I think is very good advice- pick three or four and take the time to actually go and play them. YouTube and drum store videos are not a good substitute. Also don’t let your credit issues make your drum decision unless you’re absolutely desperate. Keep it fun most of all and good luck!

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
I would return it posthaste. First, they are wayyy overpriced.

They may sound unique, but there's a reason nobody makes phenolic drums. They don't sound that good IMHO, and I'm sure most people would prefer any other material over these. There are so many better drum kits out there you can get for $4k!

I assume you have other drum kits, so maybe you're filling a more niche role in your kit lineup, but if you don't have any other great kits, I'd avoid the phenolic and get something truly great-sounding and versatile.
True, that’s kind of why I went for them. Something different, also a collector item. But now I’m having second thoughts. Either or I’m approved for $4200 with zero interest for 48 months. So now I’m wondering if I should get something different. If so what would you go with, and why?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I mean I can still cancel the order and switch it up, so if you think I should, what would you spend the 4K on?
I wouldn't spend 4k.

But if I was dead set on spending 4k, which maybe you are, it would probably be Ludwig Legacy Exotic, or maybe high end Tama or Gretsch USA Custom.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Decide your sizes First...

You have that?
Is it this set a 4 piece?

Cancel it
Yeah it is. I’m also intrigued by the lug wig style 24inch by 16inch bass drums. Similar to Led Zeppelin style. But I’m kinda caught up in what sound is best from what brand. I know heads and tuning help a ton, but at the end of the day, the shells also make all the difference.

Reactions: JDA

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend 4k.

But if I was dead set on spending 4k, which maybe you are, it would probably be Ludwig Legacy Exotic, or maybe high end Tama or Gretsch USA Custom.
Well I’m also debating on lowering the set price of the kit down and getting mics, a mixer, maybe new hardware and cymbals with it as well. The other kit I have is just to gig with. But I wouldn’t be opposed to gig with the new set. But if it’s a 4K set it’ll most likely stay in my studio

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no "best sound" between hi end drums; Drums are "events"- Actions. (that you create..

I'd look at new Gretsch Brooklyns - at DCP- If I was you but I aren't..
I'm thinking $2700 in the large 4PC size you like; wood finish

but I'm not a salesman for any brand

Last edited:

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
So many options. And so many different kits and brands. Personally I would pay attention to the reviews. You could get a killer set for that kind of money. One thing I think is very good advice- pick three or four and take the time to actually go and play them. YouTube and drum store videos are not a good substitute. Also don’t let your credit issues make your drum decision unless you’re absolutely desperate. Keep it fun most of all and good luck!
The credit is only to build more. I have the cash to purchase, but I might as well build credit and make a payment plan for 0 percent interest.

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I get that it's easier to cancel the order now than to try to return later or take a hit selling, but you're worried about not liking a kit that you haven't even played yet. What if they come in and you fall in love with the look/sound/vibe and it becomes your favorite kit?
I don't disagree with what others have said, especially that $4K gives you a lot of options, but it sounds like you made an impulse buy and now an impulse return. Maybe slow down and figure out what you really want and "buy once, cry once" as they say.
What is your current kit and what are you looking to do differently than what you've got?

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
True, that’s kind of why I went for them. Something different, also a collector item. But now I’m having second thoughts. Either or I’m approved for $4200 with zero interest for 48 months. So now I’m wondering if I should get something different. If so what would you go with, and why?
For me it's all about sound first. And the best sounding kit that costs under $4000 is a Gretsch USA Custom, or if you only want to spend $1800 and get something that sounds 99.8% as good, get a Gretsch Renown. They're very similar in sound, and build quality.

All of these are much better than phenolic drums...

Ludwig Classic Maple
Tama Starclassic Birch/Walnut
DW Design, Performance, or Collector's
Mapex Saturn V or Evolution
Sonor Vintage Series, Prolites, SQ1, or a used SQ2 kit
Yamaha Hybrid Maple
Pearl Reference
Mapex Black Panther lines
Noble and Cooley CD Maple
Anything from Canopus
Tama Star Walnut

What type of music do you play, and are you looking for any sound in particular? Or are you just looking for versatility?

1988fxlr

Reaction score
That seems like an awful lot of money for a four piece kit. I would never look at drums as a financial investment, just an investment in the experience you’ll get from playing them. If you are set on spending that much on a kit, why don’t you tell us more about what kind of drumming you do and styles you play. You can probably get a full set of more versatile hi quality drums with a set of cymbals and good hardware for your budget

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
For me it's all about sound first. And the best sounding kit that costs under $4000 is a Gretsch USA Custom, or if you only want to spend $1800 and get something that sounds 99.8% as good, get a Gretsch Renown. They're very similar in sound, and build quality.

All of these are much better than phenolic drums...

Ludwig Classic Maple
Tama Starclassic Birch/Walnut
DW Design, Performance, or Collector's
Mapex Saturn V or Evolution
Sonor Vintage Series
Sonor Prolites
Yamaha Hybrid Maple
Pearl Reference
Mapex Black Panther lines
Noble and Cooley CD Maple
Anything from Canopus
Tama Star Walnut

What type of music do you play, and are you looking for any sound in particular? Or are you just looking for versatility?
Currently I’m playing in a band that is influenced by the cure. But for the most part I am a rock and roll drummer. But versatility is most likely what im
Looking for.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
That seems like an awful lot of money for a four piece kit. I would never look at drums as a financial investment, just an investment in the experience you’ll get from playing them. If you are set on spending that much on a kit, why don’t you tell us more about what kind of drumming you do and styles you play. You can probably get a full set of more versatile hi quality drums with a set of cymbals and good hardware for your budget
Mostly rock and roll, a bit of punk, and alternative. It’s hard to describe what music I play, because honestly I play it all. I was taught by one of Alice In Chains drummer who is now deceased as well as josh eppard from coheed. So basically I can play jazz and so on

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
I get that it's easier to cancel the order now than to try to return later or take a hit selling, but you're worried about not liking a kit that you haven't even played yet. What if they come in and you fall in love with the look/sound/vibe and it becomes your favorite kit?
I don't disagree with what others have said, especially that $4K gives you a lot of options, but it sounds like you made an impulse buy and now an impulse return. Maybe slow down and figure out what you really want and "buy once, cry once" as they say.
What is your current kit and what are you looking to do differently than what you've got?
My current kit is a pearl forum series. So mid line. But my biggest issue is if I want to stick with the pearl name, or go another direction. I’ve always like more of the thud sound instead of the higher pitch sound ( I know tuning helps on this but so do the shells )