Buying a new drum set.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
we can't pick for you- too much distance; we can only "imagine"...

Free ship;

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
we can't pick for you- too much distance; we can only "imagine"...

Free ship;

I completely understand that, but this is why I wanted to know what you guys will go with. I feel like so many reviews are bias/ paid for

Reactions: JDA

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
More advice from an old guy. If you got approved for only a $4200 credit limit on a credit card, you can't afford a $4000 drum set.
And those "interest free" credit lines can be traps. Check out what the late fee and interest rates are if you're a day late or accidentally miss a payment.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
correct, but they’re also only making 100 ever, and only 25 sent to the USA. That’s why I made the move. But now Im wondering if I should cancel and do something else. I already have another set, but it was going to be my studio set.
The phenolic kits are one of the last kits I'd purchase to use in the studio. These are designed to be loud live drums.

Mostly rock and roll, a bit of punk, and alternative. It’s hard to describe what music I play, because honestly I play it all. I was taught by one of Alice In Chains drummer who is now deceased as well as josh eppard from coheed. So basically I can play jazz and so on
As above, the phenolic kits are not ones I'd consider great for jazz. They're rock drums, through and through
Yeah it is. I’m also intrigued by the lug wig style 24inch by 16inch bass drums. Similar to Led Zeppelin style. But I’m kinda caught up in what sound is best from what brand. I know heads and tuning help a ton, but at the end of the day, the shells also make all the difference.
Zeppelin was primarily a 26x14, with a 22x14 used early on

My current kit is a pearl forum series. So mid line. But my biggest issue is if I want to stick with the pearl name, or go another direction. I’ve always like more of the thud sound instead of the higher pitch sound ( I know tuning helps on this but so do the shells )
Forum is Pearl's entry-level kit, not a mid-line.

I think you need to take a breath and decide what you really want. I'd suggest going with a true mid-line wood kit, like the Gretsch Renowns mentioned earlier. If you wanted to stick with Pearl, that would be the Decade or Session series.

FWIW, I've set a hard limit of $1500 for a 3-piece shell pack, and I've never had a problem with my drum sounds. You can get a LOT of drum at that price point (especially if you're willing to go used).

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I completely understand that, but this is why I wanted to know what you guys will go with. I feel like so many reviews are bias/ paid for
Brooklyns are great drums period, but even more so for the price range, definitely. I've tried a set in the same finish/tom sizes but with a 22" kick that still packed a tremendous amount of Boooom! Can easily do the thuddy thing with different muffling/heads but right outta the box, they are leaning towards a more modern-ish kinda sound. Ash Soan has gotten some pretty bitching tones out of those on a few clinics available on YT.

I finally went for a new Broadkaster set, mainly for aesthetics reasons (yummy red glass finish ready to take out the shop).

But as of late, the Broadkaster set have lost it's recording spot to my late 60's Rogers Holiday set (got the 12-13-16-20 Londonner config, but the 13 is off atm). This set seems to agree most easily with the microphones, at whatever tuning. Those can be found fairly easily, in super clean player condition in the 1500-2000$ range. And don't get turned off too quickly by the 20" kick size, those will out-boom a lot of modern 22's any day of the week!! (Search for the many threads about Rogers 20" kicks ) That would give you one of the best sounding and most versatile drumsets ever made by a major manufacturer, with 2k left over for mics, preamps, snares, cymbals, anything else you might need, or as a rainy day fund...

Many other mighty fine vintage sets can also be found in that price range, so are new or slightly used newer ones as was previously discussed here.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, so I recently was really intrigued by the new pearl phenolic president series drum set and I just kinda went for it. I made the purchase via credit card through sweetwater since I am trying to build my credit. But as I’ve been reading it seems a lot of people are unimpressed and think they’re not worth the money. I’ve also paid the shipping on top of the original purchase. Shy of around 4K all said and done. Should I stick with it? Or should I get a different kit, maybe even build a new one, with new cymbals, hardware, channel mixer and drum mics. Budget needs to stay below 4K but I figured I’m spending that either or. So I want to hear your guys opinions. Thanks!
Who gives a rat's butt what others may think of your choice! Impression is decided by YOU! It's not like they're shelling the bucks for your bang. You should do your research and go for the best price possible at whatever you choose to buy. Buy what gives you an eargasm, and if your choice gives you an eyegasm too, the better. Drum on!

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well I’m also debating on lowering the set price of the kit down and getting mics, a mixer, maybe new hardware and cymbals with it as well. The other kit I have is just to gig with. But I wouldn’t be opposed to gig with the new set. But if it’s a 4K set it’ll most likely stay in my studio
First things first - if you've got buyer's remorse and you don't even have the set yet, cancel the order - pronto.

I wouldn't spend that much unless I was sure what I wanted,
and for me, that would be a higher line Ludwig or Gretsch - but I'm not you. :dontknow:

And I'd only do that for one set. I usually buy less expensive, more mid range kits.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
More advice from an old guy. If you got approved for only a $4200 credit limit on a credit card, you can't afford a $4000 drum set.
And those "interest free" credit lines can be traps. Check out what the late fee and interest rates are if you're a day late or accidentally miss a payment.
It’s my third credit card I can afford it. Trust me. I just never built credit before. I’m 27 and just started building it three months ago and have a 720 score already. I’ve always paid cash or debit. I own three vehicles and a house…

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Who gives a rat's butt what others may think of your choice! Impression is decided by YOU! It's not like they're shelling the bucks for your bang. You should do your research and go for the best price possible at whatever you choose to buy. Buy what gives you an eargasm, and if your choice gives you an eyegasm too, the better. Drum on!
Appreciate that! But really just want to make sure I make the correct choice!

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
The phenolic kits are one of the last kits I'd purchase to use in the studio. These are designed to be loud live drums.

As above, the phenolic kits are not ones I'd consider great for jazz. They're rock drums, through and through

Zeppelin was primarily a 26x14, with a 22x14 used early on

Forum is Pearl's entry-level kit, not a mid-line.

I think you need to take a breath and decide what you really want. I'd suggest going with a true mid-line wood kit, like the Gretsch Renowns mentioned earlier. If you wanted to stick with Pearl, that would be the Decade or Session series.

FWIW, I've set a hard limit of $1500 for a 3-piece shell pack, and I've never had a problem with my drum sounds. You can get a LOT of drum at that price point (especially if you're willing to go used).
Awesome thanks for the advice! I’ve been checking out the gretsch As I own a few guitars from them. But I’m really looking for a single bass drum with zero Tom hardware. Want the classic look with a modern sound. And I’ve only been able to find a few of them by them. Wouldn’t mind a four piece shell, but I’d want two floor Tom’s then.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Brooklyns are great drums period, but even more so for the price range, definitely. I've tried a set in the same finish/tom sizes but with a 22" kick that still packed a tremendous amount of Boooom! Can easily do the thuddy thing with different muffling/heads but right outta the box, they are leaning towards a more modern-ish kinda sound. Ash Soan has gotten some pretty bitching tones out of those on a few clinics available on YT.

I finally went for a new Broadkaster set, mainly for aesthetics reasons (yummy red glass finish ready to take out the shop).

But as of late, the Broadkaster set have lost it's recording spot to my late 60's Rogers Holiday set (got the 12-13-16-20 Londonner config, but the 13 is off atm). This set seems to agree most easily with the microphones, at whatever tuning. Those can be found fairly easily, in super clean player condition in the 1500-2000$ range. And don't get turned off too quickly by the 20" kick size, those will out-boom a lot of modern 22's any day of the week!! (Search for the many threads about Rogers 20" kicks ) That would give you one of the best sounding and most versatile drumsets ever made by a major manufacturer, with 2k left over for mics, preamps, snares, cymbals, anything else you might need, or as a rainy day fund...

Many other mighty fine vintage sets can also be found in that price range, so are new or slightly used newer ones as was previously discussed here.
Awesome thank you for the advice. I’m mainly just set on buying new due to having zero credit three months ago and wanted to build it. I’ve always hated the idea of credit But I guess I need it..

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I can still cancel the order and switch it up, so if you think I should, what would you spend the 4K on?
$4k is alot of money for drums. If you are a collector, those Pearl's are fine to buy and keep. If you expect to resell in the future, don't expect that because they made 100, you'll get alot of money for them. For $4K, first I'd be looking at something USA made from Ludwig or Gretsch! (I have Ludwig Classic Maples!) Then I'd be looking at either Tama or Sonor.
Good luck!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've cancelled the order, right? Please tell me you've done that already.

These phenolic limited release drums are for the player who had a set back in the day, grew up, made a lot of money in an unrelated profession, and wants to recapture a part of his youth with a brand new drum set.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
From an older guy (me):
Cancel the sale. That is a lot of money for drums you haven't heard in person. Those shells are fine, but you can find an original President for less than $400-700 in primo condition.

Very few drums are a real investment. Limited Run = not sure they will really sell or they are trying to create a market that few people really care about.

If you are building credit and are hell bent on spending money for a new kit go shop around and try as many as you can. Check out DCP's shootout videos. They are really good. Just because you have a line of credit doesn't mean you have to max it out or even use it at all. Maybe buy a few things and pay it off quickly. That will build your credit better than maxing it and paying it off over 4 years.

Buy used drums. Let someone else take the hit. I recently picked up a 2002 Yamaha Absolute Maple kit that was MINT. Nice, barely used kits are out there. As are well used kits that you can buy and try and not take a bath on it you want, or have to sell, for some reason.

Buyer's remorse bites all of us at some point in our lives. Better to have it something you can easily move and recoup most of your money on. You would not have that luxury on a new overpriced Pearl kit that people aren't going to really care about. I don't think there was even much chatter about them on the Pearl forum, although I haven't been on there in a while.

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Reaction score
If you like pearl, and want a vintage looking four piece I would try to find somewhere to check out the regular president series at a third the price and outfit it with great cymbals, hardware, heads, and maybe a snare.