Buying a new drum set.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I gotta say, if I were buying something brand new today….would likely be Yamaha maple in different sizes, maybe two bass drums (one small and one larger).

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
For $4000 you can buy a Ludwig Classic Maple shell bank that will fit any situation for years to come. I'd get 18" and 22" BDs, 12" and 13" tom toms, 14" and 16" FTs, and a 6.5"x 14" snare. this should exhaust your money, but it will be a better buy than the Pearls.
A shell bank is an awesome idea. But he shouldn't make a shell bank until he's absolutely sure what drums he likes.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this first-time poster may be playing you guys?

The initial post is like "I like to wear a red riding hood and know nothing about wolves."

Further posts are like "I don't mind wolves that much, and I could leave Grandma's house any time I want with my thousands and thousands of dollars in credit."

Hook, line and sinker.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this first-time poster is playing you guys?

The initial post is like "I like to wear a red riding hood and know nothing about wolves."

Further posts are like "I don't mind wolves that much, and I could leave Grandma's house any time I want with my thousands and thousands of dollars in credit."

Hook, line and sinker.
The I own 3 cars and a house but have no credit but my score is 720 seemed odd to me .

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd get a Gretsch Renown and the cymbal set of your choice and still be under $3K.

If you want to stick with Pearl, look at the Masters Maple Complete or even the Session Studio Select for a shell pack under $2K. The Masters Maple Gum are great sounding kits, but the price is very close to Gretsch USA Custom so I'd opt for the real deal.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks this first-time poster may be playing you guys?

Hook, line and sinker.

"I'm 13 years old, been saving up money on my paper route, decided to buy these weird drums called "A&F?" You guys ever heard of them? Anyway, I borrowed my dad's credit card. I'll pay him back in 8 more summers"

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is an example: This 8 pce set below is DW Collectors set , Maple shells, Cherry Stain Lacquer, includes a full rack system with 5 boom arms and the snare that it comes with is a DW EDGE snare that has a matching finish.
This is on sale in my shop for $4000USD. This is not a sales pitch, I am not shipping this one :) . Just to show that serious value can be obtained for $4000USD.
200180005_3010528555937723_4629993506715800909_n.jpg

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A shell bank is an awesome idea. But he shouldn't make a shell bank until he's absolutely sure what drums he likes.
I agree. I posted that only as a point of reference for what someone can buy with $4000. CMs are about the greatest value in modern drums from a major manufacturer, IMHO, so that's why I used them.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I can still cancel the order and switch it up, so if you think I should, what would you spend the 4K on?
Honestly, I spent south of 3500 for a beautiful used Craviotto kit...Just sayin'... You asked. I don't want to rain on your parade but...If it were me, I'd get a nice Yamaha Absolute Hybrid maple kit. Around the same price. Fantastic kit! Pics are below. And for that price, your options are wide open...

Crav210302020Capture.JPG

AHMCapture2.JPG

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
4k on a toy is a chunk of change if you're trying to "build credit". Just pay your bills on time. Does wonders.

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
4K for a kit happens rarely, but when it does, it's when you've known exactly what you've been wanting and why it's special to you, and there's never room to second guess if maybe I should have left money for mics or whatever.

Also, when it comes to most consumer goods, "made to be collectible" is akin to beanie babies and Franklin Mint plates with scenes from Gone With the Wind on them. Not a box worth checking on any expensive purchase ever. You better be a major fan of that artist for having bought all eight versions of that comic book cover.

You need to have been waiting 10 to 15 years for Pearl to release this commemorative phrenoholic or whatever it is.

4K is a privileged position. Don't just be wise, take the best care of yourself as you can with it.

Respectfully submitted.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s my third credit card I can afford it. Trust me. I just never built credit before. I’m 27 and just started building it three months ago and have a 720 score already. I’ve always paid cash or debit. I own three vehicles and a house…
Anyone can finance a house and vehicles in this day an age. That don’t mean squat to me and I’m sure anyone else. But with that said I would buy a Ludwig shell bank or a used ludwig classic and cymbals. I’d much rather buy used then have some left over money for cymbals or whatever. But that’s just me. Best of luck

T_Weaves

Reaction score
That set is sort of a retro, limited edition, collector type deal. $4K buys a lot of drums, so grabbing that set impulsively is like drunk dialing an ex girlfriend.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Any off the rack German Sonor kit, Non Asian Gretsch kit, Ludwig CM, Tama Star Walnut would have been a better option. I max out at about $3K. I just don't think you need to spend any more than that. $4K for a Pearl kit? ugh. Not me!

Quai34

Reaction score
The credit is only to build more. I have the cash to purchase, but I might as well build credit and make a payment plan for 0 percent interest.
So, you have 4000$ cash and could get 4000$ credit? Buy a Tama star Maple kit, 22, 10,12, 14,16 and match snare

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The I own 3 cars and a house but have no credit but my score is 720 seemed odd to me .
I own a Jeep Wrangler, a Ford F350 4X4 with service body, a Ford F250 4X4 with a capsule camper and a Crown Victoria. I have three houses too. The Jeep's 20 years old, both trucks are 25 years old and the Vic is 15 years old, LOL! All in need of a paint job! Two houses are dumps, and the third is the palace in another state where my sisters live. Never a wife or kids, job wouldn't allow it. ( Girlfriends yes.) I have a Draft horse, a mule, two goats, a dozen chickens, two cows, a Big Horn Ram and an Ewe (from a defunct petting zoo), a Raven and a bum Racoon. All came with the palace house in Wisconsin. Paid cash for everything I've ever owned, never had a loan to buy anything in my life. My Credit is -10,000 LOL! Yeah, that 720 seemed odd to me too.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
I own a Jeep Wrangler, a Ford F350 4X4 with service body, a Ford F250 4X4 with a capsule camper and a Crown Victoria. I have three houses too. The Jeep's 20 years old, both trucks are 25 years old and the Vic is 15 years old, LOL! All in need of a paint job! Two houses are dumps, and the third is the palace in another state where my sisters live. Never a wife or kids, job wouldn't allow it. ( Girlfriends yes.) I have a Draft horse, a mule, two goats, a dozen chickens, two cows, a Big Horn Ram and an Ewe (from a defunct petting zoo), a Raven and a bum Racoon. All came with the palace house in Wisconsin. Paid cash for everything I've ever owned, never had a loan to buy anything in my life. My Credit is -10,000 LOL! Yeah, that 720 seemed odd to me too.
You guys clearly have never had zero credit. Just because you pay with cash, doesn’t give you credit. Even all my bills I’ve paid through the years since I was 16 I still had ZERO credit. But it’s cool, you’re salty as Finder. I get it, you clearly can’t afford a 4K drum set