Buying a new drum set.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
So, you have 4000$ cash and could get 4000$ credit? Buy a Tama star Maple kit, 22, 10,12, 14,16 and match snare
No I have more than that saved, but on this line of credit I have $4200. But I’m using it just to buy a new drum set. Think about it like buying a couch when you first start building credit.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Sweetwater has 48 months 0% on DW, Ludwig, Tama, and Pearl if you are wanting to build credit. I have not heard anything good about the Pearl presidents.
Yeah that’s who I just opened my third credit card with. They originally gave me $1400 but when I talked to the sweetwater guy they instantly approved me for $4200. I just started building my credit three months ago. So I figured instead of just buying it on debit I might as well build some credit at those interest rates!

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
4k on a toy is a chunk of change if you're trying to "build credit". Just pay your bills on time. Does wonders.
That’s not true man, I’ve paid my bills on time and early since I was 16. Up until recently I have had ZERO credit. That’s worse than good credit. I’m talking a score of 0. You need a credit card now in days for good credit. And if I ever want a large sum of money for a business endeavor I’d need to have my credit built. Unless I save that amount.

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
The I own 3 cars and a house but have no credit but my score is 720 seemed odd to me .
Lmao go Finder yourself dude. No I’m not playing you. Maybe I’ve just worked my entire life and have paid cash or debit card for everything until I decided to build credit. Not my fault you’re broke and salty as Finder

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
Here is an example: This 8 pce set below is DW Collectors set , Maple shells, Cherry Stain Lacquer, includes a full rack system with 5 boom arms and the snare that it comes with is a DW EDGE snare that has a matching finish.
This is on sale in my shop for $4000USD. This is not a sales pitch, I am not shipping this one :) . Just to show that serious value can be obtained for $4000USD. View attachment 504958
Thank you! This is why I posted this thread. I’m just curious on what other people think/ second guessing my initial decision. I’ve never played. And up until about a year ago I stopped playing since I was 13. So I’ve been out of it for a minute now. I appreciate the honesty and zero saltiness I’ve been getting from other posters giving me mess about buying a kit that’s worth that amount. Like I said, I’m building my credit for the first time ever. This is what I can spend with 0% interest for 48 months. Yes I can buy it with cash or debit, but if I can build my credit… why not?

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
The I own 3 cars and a house but have no credit but my score is 720 seemed odd to me .
Not if you pay cash dude. Something I don’t think you understand about credit. Also most likely believe the the people who are trying to talk mess or make fun of me or say they don’t believe me. Most likely is into debt up to there eyes

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
What drum sizes are you looking for, and how many pieces?

Also, do you want to include a great sounding snare?
I think im looking for a 22 to 24 inch bass, 14 inch Tom, 16inch and maybe a 18inch floor Tom as well. But really just kinda looking for input and what other people would offer/ say they would get

Dontchasethequeen

Reaction score
From an older guy (me):
Cancel the sale. That is a lot of money for drums you haven't heard in person. Those shells are fine, but you can find an original President for less than $400-700 in primo condition.

Very few drums are a real investment. Limited Run = not sure they will really sell or they are trying to create a market that few people really care about.

If you are building credit and are hell bent on spending money for a new kit go shop around and try as many as you can. Check out DCP's shootout videos. They are really good. Just because you have a line of credit doesn't mean you have to max it out or even use it at all. Maybe buy a few things and pay it off quickly. That will build your credit better than maxing it and paying it off over 4 years.

Buy used drums. Let someone else take the hit. I recently picked up a 2002 Yamaha Absolute Maple kit that was MINT. Nice, barely used kits are out there. As are well used kits that you can buy and try and not take a bath on it you want, or have to sell, for some reason.

Buyer remorse bites all of us at some point in our lives. Better to have it somethong you can easily move and recoup most of your money on. You would not have that luxury on an overpriced Pearl kit that people aren't going to really care about. I don't think there was even much chatter about them on the Pearl forum, although I haven't been on there in a while.

Good luck with your decision!
I just want to say thank you for this! I appreciate it!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys clearly have never had zero credit. Just because you pay with cash, doesn’t give you credit. Even all my bills I’ve paid through the years since I was 16 I still had ZERO credit. But it’s cool, you’re salty as Finder. I get it, you clearly can’t afford a 4K drum set
Like I said -10,000, I owe 10,000 points. I got more than 4K in hardware in just one of my four kits. Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes, 8,10,12,14,16 &22. Not shown is an 18 floor tom and a 24 bass drum. And I'm just a broke-ass dude compared to others here on the forum! Best thing is that I suck as a drummer!

Attachments

Last edited:

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why do you think that maxing a card out to 95% capacity will help your credit? That’s…not how it works.

The best way to increase your credit is by keeping your individual card balances below 10% utilization, making every single payment, and having a variety of accounts over a long period of time.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That’s not true man, I’ve paid my bills on time and early since I was 16. Up until recently I have had ZERO credit. That’s worse than good credit. I’m talking a score of 0. You need a credit card now in days for good credit. And if I ever want a large sum of money for a business endeavor I’d need to have my credit built. Unless I save that amount.
someone has given you some really bad advice. Also, you can’t have a credit score of zero. FICO bottoms out at 300, and you can’t get that low without massively messing up somewhere (missing lots of payments, etc). Just starting out, your credit range is generally in the 500-600 range, depending on income, savings, etc.

Last edited:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is hilarious. Calling people broke? Can’t afford a 4K kit? LOL where do I sign up for the peeing contest?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here you go. This is the one! Please buy it before I do!

Jake Gibson

Reaction score
Honestly, I spent south of 3500 for a beautiful used Craviotto kit...Just sayin'... You asked. I don't want to rain on your parade but...If it were me, I'd get a nice Yamaha Absolute Hybrid maple kit. Around the same price. Fantastic kit! Pics are below. And for that price, your options are wide open...

View attachment 504972

View attachment 504974
Nice Craviotto kit! Congrats and worth every penny!

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s who I just opened my third credit card with. They originally gave me $1400 but when I talked to the sweetwater guy they instantly approved me for $4200. I just started building my credit three months ago. So I figured instead of just buying it on debit I might as well build some credit at those interest rates!

Just quoting this for the people recommending used sets or from some place besides Sweetwater.
Sounds like you're kind of locked into the idea of using your credit with them.
Hate to think of what you'd do if they offered you $10K credit. :oops:

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just quoting this for the people recommending used sets or from some place besides Sweetwater.
Sounds like you're kind of locked into the idea of using your credit with them.
Hate to think of what you'd do if they offered you $10K credit. :oops:
For real just because you’re approved for it doesn’t mean you can afford it. Covid happening is perfect example of that. A lot of people found out the hard way about not being able to make payments on there toys to keep up with everyone else.