Buying a new drum set.

Dtucci

Reaction score
I’m on board with canceling and getting out and actually HEARING a kit before you buy it. Now that stores are opening back up and private parties are more open to meeting face to face, you can hear, see and touch what you’re buying. You might get lucky and find a used kit at a store and you can still use your credit card. As many others have said, you can get A LOT of great drums and other gear for $4K. I’ve had dozens of kits and played 1000’s of shows and one of the best sounding (and well received) kits I played was a no-name red glass glitter kit I grabbed for $60 off of Craig’s List. Go with what makes your ears and gut happy.

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Not sure about the cost, or the pricing of these, but I do know that the Phenolic shells sound different, and from the descriptions of my friend that worked with Pearl/Eric Singer and Kiss building kits from some of these shells, they are pretty freakin' cool.
He built kits with the wood/fiberglass shells also.
A local Pearl guy who tours with Ted Nugent, Sponge and others also got one of these phenolic kits, and I believe he has recorded with them, but I'd have to look for anything he's put up using them.
I remember he said it was a real cool kit though.

Personally, I know I'd dig a 6.5 snare in that phenolic shell.

mewing

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The credit is only to build more. I have the cash to purchase, but I might as well build credit and make a payment plan for 0 percent interest.
There's no such thing as zero percent interest; it's built into the price of the product. I'm always able to get a discount on things that offer zero percent when I pay cash. For example, read the small print on 0% financing car commercials. Two different prices; one for 0% interest, and another (lower one; or one with a rebate) for those who don't take the special financing. No reason to build credit anyway except to be able to borrow more money, and no credit score is needed for getting a mortgage.

New depreciates like crazy...buy nice used stuff instead after someone else has paid for the depreciation. You'll get a lot more for your money.

Yes, I'm old. :)

Charles Primm

Reaction score
Okay guys, so I recently was really intrigued by the new pearl phenolic president series drum set and I just kinda went for it. I made the purchase via credit card through sweetwater since I am trying to build my credit. But as I’ve been reading it seems a lot of people are unimpressed and think they’re not worth the money. I’ve also paid the shipping on top of the original purchase. Shy of around 4K all said and done. Should I stick with it? Or should I get a different kit, maybe even build a new one, with new cymbals, hardware, channel mixer and drum mics. Budget needs to stay below 4K but I figured I’m spending that either or. So I want to hear your guys opinions. Thanks!
If it sounds good, keep it. If not, sell it?

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, so I recently was really intrigued by the new pearl phenolic president series drum set and I just kinda went for it. I made the purchase via credit card through sweetwater since I am trying to build my credit. But as I’ve been reading it seems a lot of people are unimpressed and think they’re not worth the money. I’ve also paid the shipping on top of the original purchase. Shy of around 4K all said and done. Should I stick with it? Or should I get a different kit, maybe even build a new one, with new cymbals, hardware, channel mixer and drum mics. Budget needs to stay below 4K but I figured I’m spending that either or. So I want to hear your guys opinions. Thanks!
I have definitely drunk dialed the ex but haven’t spent 4K on drums. You might want to check but I think you are in the hook for shipping the drums back to Sweetwater. If that’s the case it’s not worth it. The shipping alone will be hundreds of dollars if not over a grand if you decide you want UPS to pack it up.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
someone has given you some really bad advice. Also, you can’t have a credit score of zero. FICO bottoms out at 300, and you can’t get that low without massively messing up somewhere (missing lots of payments, etc). Just starting out, your credit range is generally in the 500-600 range, depending on income, savings, etc.
While I agree with your other post about not maxing out your available credit, this post isn't really true. When I sold loans I saw a lot of people who were first timers. Their scores would come back as a "no score" -- not a lower score. You cannot have a credit score if you haven't done anything that reports to the bureaus. The way you pay those things that do, that's what creates your score. I have had first time loan applicants with 720-750 scores who were unable to get a 20k car loan because they didn't have COMP credit (experience) to support it. It's not all about the score. This OP seems like one of those who doesn't really understand how it all works and thinks the score number is the point. It's only part of the equation.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
While I agree with your other post about not maxing out your available credit, this post isn't really true. When I sold loans I saw a lot of people who were first timers. Their scores would come back as a "no score" -- not a lower score. You cannot have a credit score if you haven't done anything that reports to the bureaus. The way you pay those things that do, that's what creates your score. I have had first time loan applicants with 720-750 scores who were unable to get a 20k car loan because they didn't have COMP credit (experience) to support it. It's not all about the score. This OP seems like one of those who doesn't really understand how it all works and thinks the score number is the point. It's only part of the equation.
Oh absolutely -- "no score" is a situation people can be in (my wife is from Europe, and when we moved to the US she had zero credit history and therefore no score). My comment was specifically addressing his claim that he had a score of 0 (he even explicitly said it wasn't a "no score" situation -- he claimed it was a numeric score of "0")

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
While I agree with your other post about not maxing out your available credit, this post isn't really true. When I sold loans I saw a lot of people who were first timers. Their scores would come back as a "no score" -- not a lower score. You cannot have a credit score if you haven't done anything that reports to the bureaus.
One proud moment was being told by a salesman who ran a check on me, "Um...I can't find you. You don't exist."

Never had a credit card. My budget has always been simple. If I don't have it, I don't spend it.

I began to realize the score was won by playing a game I don't want to play and one which they really don't want me to win. All the card company really wants to sell me is interest, while the last thing they want is for me to actually pay off my product and own it outright.

It's unconscionable where we've let ourselves go with that game.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I will say I just scored an awesome kit for $2300. 24/13/16 Ludwig Legacy in pristine condition. Not bragging but emphasizing you can get an awesome deal for an awesome price. OK, $2300 is a nice chunk of change BUT not 4K. And I understand the credit thing, but there are way better ways to establish good credit. And Time and experience is the #1 determining factor as others have pointed out.

Party on!

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here you go. This is the one! Please buy it before I do!

Well, I will say I just scored an awesome kit for $2300. 24/13/16 Ludwig Legacy in pristine condition. Not bragging but emphasizing you can get an awesome deal for an awesome price. OK, $2300 is a nice chunk of change BUT not 4K. And I understand the credit thing, but there are way better ways to establish good credit. And Time and experience is the #1 determining factor as others have pointed out.

Party on!
You talked yourself right into that one. :headbang:

A righteous set - if it's the one you linked to earlier. :thumbleft:

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
I think the OP is gone, Vistalite Black was all over it in post #43, they were having a lend of everyone.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With $4k to spend, I'd buy a lightly used Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple and invest the rest in cymbals. Or maybe hop on the phone with DCP and try to work out a deal with the new British Drum Company's birch kit. I forgot what they're called.

If I wanted to go with the retro look, I'd buy the Sonor Vintage beech kit. YUM. Way cooler, IMO.

And again, save some of that dough for some kick ass cymbals.

itsjjp

Reaction score
If you plan to use the drums and want a classic sound like those, then find a clean vintage kit or a low budget new one that has that kind of sound. If you play the limited edition kit, it won't be worth what you paid, limited edition or not.

If you do return the kit and take your losses, $3500 or so buys some awesome drums in the custom world. So many options when spending anything more than a couple a grand. Just depends on what sound and look you want and how you'll use em.

Drumskillz

Reaction score
Shy of around 4K all said and done. Should I stick with it? Or should I get a different kit, maybe even build a new one...
What the HELL dude???

No WAY should you spend that kind of money on a kit of any kind from any maker. Period.

Here's my advice. Other's may disagree. But it's a free country...for at least a little while longer.

Go to Nordic Shells website. Pick your shell material from their WIDE range of choices and have all of them cut to your EXACT specifications.

Ship those shells to Kirsch Drums and have Jeff cut the edges, finish the shells, drill and mount the hardware.

You will have a MONSTER sounding kit that will slug it out toe-to-toe with ANY drum kit made by ANY manufacturer in the world. AND...it will be made to your exact specs.

And I guarantee you will not spend anything remotely CLOSE to 4k.

Then...as others have already so wisely said...invest the rest in your cymbal and/or snare collection. Remember...he who dies with the most cymbals wins. Like women and their shoes...never enough. :D

Last edited:

Slingwig26

Reaction score
If it is something you want, go for it. They sound good on the video. It looks like $3499 with free shipping. Is the snare included? I would prefer a Ludwig Legacy myself but....get what YOU want. I’m sure no one on your block will have one. Bon chance.

Slingwig26

Reaction score
What the HELL dude???

No WAY should you spend that kind of money on a kit of any kind from any maker. Period.

Here's my advice. Other's may disagree. But it's a free country...for at least a little while longer.

Go to Nordic Shells website. Pick your shell material from their WIDE range of choices and have all of them cut to your EXACT specifications.

Ship those shells to Kirsch Drums and have Jeff cut the edges, finish the shells, drill and mount the hardware.

You will have a MONSTER sounding kit that will slug it out toe-to-toe with ANY drum kit made by ANY manufacturer in the world. AND...it will be made to your exact specs.

And I guarantee you will not spend anything remotely CLOSE to 4k.

Then...as others have already so wisely said...invest the rest in your cymbal and/or snare collection. Remember...he who dies with the most cymbals wins. Like women and their shoes...never enough. :D
Love the cymbal quote! Ain’t that the truth. I don’t know when I went over 100 but it seems every time I sell 2, I buy another one.

Guzowskip

Reaction score
Why go into debt? I paid cash for my first kit in the 60s.. took me almost a year of working as a restaurant busboy to do it but I did. I'm now in my sunset years but completely debt free. It's a liberating feeling.

If you ever look at videos of Levon Helm with The Band, it's clear his drums were a collection of one-of-a-kind purchases not a glitzy kit for which he had to sell his soul... And he sounded great, eh?

IMO, spending a lot of money on drums is like spending a lot of money on fancy golf clubs.. .spend the money on lessons... the money will go a lot further.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
buying on credit helps to ESTABLISH a credit history. Hence-" XXX CREDIT Jewelry Store" -IF you have income- you can buy on credit.. Should you spend $3000 on a kit and gear on credit? um ... no you'll PAY $4000-$5000 for that gear. buy SOME gear on credit--- preferably, buy a USED kit and shop pawn shops and FB groups for hardware. losing your butt on a deal and having to sell your gear to get out of debt- sucks and it can sour you on everything. then bad credit and needing a replacement for your car.. and having to buy at the tote the note lot.. yeah, not good. Hard to dig out when your repair bills are more than the car is worth.. used gear and new heads sound like NEW gear..