Buying a restored Roger's kit...

fishstix94

Reaction score
So I'm trying to gauge the value of a kit that my friend is selling.. It is a 60s Roger's holiday setup.. the potential package would include two kicks 20 and an 18.. then 16/14/13/12/10 toms. The 10in tom isnt a Roger's but was made by a custom maker to match the tone very well. The kit was refinished in the 90s. The original wrap was taken off and a black gloss finish was put on.

On top of that the original hoops were removed and replaced with pearl dicast hoops. And the original tom arms were replaced with yamaha arms, as well as the tom ports changed to yamaha.

I dig the kit but I am weary of the value after the updates. What do you guys think a fair price on a kit like this would be?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since it won't have much collector's value, it would come down to whether you liked the look and sound. I'd also like to know if the original hoops and mounting hardware were included.

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
yes, even if it's refinished, there's certainly residual value in an actual Rogers 18" bass shell. But you're not going to get anything more than WAG assessment without some pictures.

Actually, you're most likely going to get a lot of tears from this crowd, me included, seeing what happened to an 18" rogers bass.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Since it won't have much collector's value, it would come down to whether you liked the look and sound. I'd also like to know if the original hoops and mounting hardware were included.
Original hardware is not included.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say this much , the Pearl hardware and mounts add huge point deductions.
Not sure about those floor tom mounts.
There’s no telling if the 18 is original or a converted FT.
As it stands I’d say no more than $800-900

fishstix94

Reaction score
I can say this much , the Pearl hardware and mounts add huge point deductions.
Not sure about those floor tom mounts.
There’s no telling if the 18 is original or a converted FT.
As it stands I’d say no more than $800-900
800-900 for both kits combined? I thought the price would be down, but I wouldn't have guessed that.

fishstix94

Reaction score
Those two are on Reverb. The finish is Mardi Gras, not gloss black!
That is incorrect. They were stripped of their finish and then "micro flakes" were placed under a black gloss finish. It is the man who refinished the kits version of Mardi gras, but not original.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s
been sitting for 5 months. $2900 is highly optimistic.

The big money in vintage drums is reserved for the original factory sets. Once they get mollested your audience diminishes quickly. The kids aren’t spending that kind of money and the boomers with disposable income are buying the real deal.

Unfortunately That’s an expensive player kit(s) and nothing more.

fishstix94

Reaction score
But yeah, he is looking for 3k. I just dont think it is worth that, but I could be wrong.

fishstix94

Reaction score
I agree. I guess that's what I'm getting at. I do like the kit, and want to buy it. But I don't think it's worth close to 3k. What do you guys think a fair price would be?

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Pretty sure that's a converted floor tom, 16x18 instead of 14x18.

Actually that kit is not worth much at all. As the price approaches $7-800 you could start thinking about buying the real thing. That's the problem with a kit like that, the only person who really values it is the guy who built it.
If it was at least wrapped in a correct finish and was wearing all original parts, and had a real bass not a floor tom , it would be a lot more attractive.
It's true, you're looking at 2 kits, but the kind of money he's asking is ridiculous. For $3000 you could buy two original kits and have money left over.

Sorry, but no way, no how...

fishstix94

Reaction score
The seller says that it is an 18" bass. Only mod would be the finish. But point taken.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
They look nice from here and they may sound nice.

Ask yourself what the resale value of those would be. Don't buy them for any more than you can afford to lose.