Buying and/or selling equipment with no gigs in sight

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do you all think of this?

I have no gigs in sight eventhough there are few if my friends gigging regular again. One trio has been do a weekly winery gig outdoors for a month.
Pay is $50 per man for 3 hour gig.

I don't /won't play gigs like that. Don't really needs to play background music while people are talking in 90 degree heat.

BUT at least they are playing and the drummer gets to play his drums and cymbals.

So. Is this a good or bad time to buy and sell?

Btw...I live in Corning ny...lots of wineries just 30 minutes away on seneca lake

Screenshot_20200706-122121_Drive.jpg

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my bands (Big Band ) has been doing some remote recordings and it has been fun to see the final product when all our parts are combined .

My main band has been doing social distancing outdoor gigs and we are booked every Saturday now till mid August . We plan to keep this going as long as possible . Not sure when indoor gigs will start back up again .
My drum purchases are in serious hiatus . I did buy myself a guitar on the weekend . I am planning to learn the guitar while the Pandemic continues and onwards afterwards .
I am also in the process of teaching myself the bass .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yeah, If anything my spending has increased although I still sell stuff to buy stuff. On the gig front, I’ve played one gig that was live streamed at a local live music venue. No audience but it was fun. All of our paying gigs in both bands are gone. So I obviously am not thinking of an income stream from playing my kits. Basically I’m purchasing things in the “well, someday things will be sort of normal again” frame of mind. I’m using this time to reboot and having the gear I want is part of that.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im in selling mode for sure.

But I might need to change that to "donation mode"

scaramanga

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tom what kind of decent gigs did you have before this that didn't involve the kind of crowd you're describing? Is there a jazz club in Corning?

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cornell University concerts. Ithaca summer institute faculty concerts,
Club in Sayre ..jazz gig...no talking..clapping for soloist club in Elmira ny..restaurant/ drink...but it is jazz night so people come to listen.
Once a month in Binghamton...firehouse jazz series. Rotating Guest rhythm section. (I used to get to play with Tony Marino a lot...freaking monster bass player and a super sweet guy.)
And yes a few receptions at Cornell..but those were easy and really good $...

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm working on improving my home electronic kit to make it more "real" so have spent some money out of the drum fund that I'll probably try and replenish with a few sales

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm buying a house...(post divorce) and need furniture...so I'm selling some drums...which is ironic because I'll have a place for them (I do have too much stuff)...all my gigs are off...one band is doing some outside rehearsals...with masks...the bass player has a decent Taye kit...though his tuning is not to my taste.

I do up to Hector once a year (2x last year) for the wineries and vintage race weekend....I love it up there....

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are currently no gigs in my area. All of the bars are shut down again and the restaurants are reduced to take out only. I'm long retired from my career, I normally make some money bartending part time. With no gigs and no bartending I don't have "fun" money coming in, so I'm out of the gear buying scene for now.

Ironically there is a snare currently on eBay that I'd love to buy. I have the money to cover it, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea since I have no idea how long this situation will last.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've played 18 gigs since Jan. 11th. Most were at a nearby resort or my local VFW, the rest were bars and nightclubs earlier in the year and a couple private events at dancehalls and community centers. No summer festivals this year, disappointing.

I'm booked this saturday 8 to midnight, $100

Haven't bought much this year, a ten-pack of batter heads and a couple snare bags.
I have a dozen drumsets already so I'm completely OVER-stocked gearwise.

The last time I played a fifty-dollar gig was around 1994 before I left California.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How do you all think of this?

I have no gigs in sight eventhough there are few if my friends gigging regular again. One trio has been do a weekly winery gig outdoors for a month.
Pay is $50 per man for 3 hour gig.

I don't /won't play gigs like that. Don't really needs to play background music while people are talking in 90 degree heat.

BUT at least they are playing and the drummer gets to play his drums and cymbals.

So. Is this a good or bad time to buy and sell?

Btw...I live in Corning ny...lots of wineries just 30 minutes away on seneca lake

View attachment 449665
They should be paying double and the musicians who are working that gig must be very low level.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cornell University concerts. Ithaca summer institute faculty concerts,
Club in Sayre ..jazz gig...no talking..clapping for soloist club in Elmira ny..restaurant/ drink...but it is jazz night so people come to listen.
Once a month in Binghamton...firehouse jazz series. Rotating Guest rhythm section. (I used to get to play with Tony Marino a lot...freaking monster bass player and a super sweet guy.)
And yes a few receptions at Cornell..but those were easy and really good $...
Firehouse is a cool gig!

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had so many 11th hour reschedulings and cancellations this month that I'm going nuts on both FB and band websites trying to keep it all current. I'm only buying the basic things like heads, etc. I have one snare drum project other than that, which can take as long as it needs to.

Dan

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They should be paying double and the musicians who are working that gig must be very low level.
Yes low level. There are tons of mediocre bands around here. Garage bands. People in there 40s and 50s.
They have lots of friends and get them to fill the bar or restaurant. Everyone goes crazy clapping and dancing.

Its fine. They are all having fun. I wouldn't never do those gigs anyway.

My friend is a great guy..wonderful human being. His wife makes bucco bucks at Corning Inc. So he takes a 4 piece band into bar 10pm -1am.
$75 for the whole band.