Buying and/or selling equipment with no gigs in sight

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Yes, there are lots and lots of us hobby players. And if you got stuff, list it now. Prices are high, people have $, and nowhere to spend it.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Yes low level. There are tons of mediocre bands around here. Garage bands. People in there 40s and 50s.
They have lots of friends and get them to fill the bar or restaurant. Everyone goes crazy clapping and dancing.

Its fine. They are all having fun. I wouldn't never do those gigs anyway.

My friend is a great guy..wonderful human being. His wife makes bucco bucks at Corning Inc. So he takes a 4 piece band into bar 10pm -1am.
$75 for the whole band.
That’s a crime IMHO. Shame on that venue!

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its not the venue...its Corning, Elmira, Ithaca area.
Also even some places in Rochester might hire Eastman students for cheap because they just want to play. Like no $..just pass the hat.

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm buying a house...(post divorce) and need furniture...so I'm selling some drums...which is ironic because I'll have a place for them (I do have too much stuff)...all my gigs are off...one band is doing some outside rehearsals...with masks...the bass player has a decent Taye kit...though his tuning is not to my taste.

I do up to Hector once a year (2x last year) for the wineries and vintage race weekend....I love it up there....
For some reason your post reminded me of-

Years ago my gf at the time and I were at a great
used bookstore out on Long Island called Ted’s (or Stan’s) Bookbin.

My gf mentioned out loud we couldn’t spend more money in the store since we had to buy furniture.

Someone yelled out from the depths of the store “You can sit on books...”

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are currently no gigs in my area. All of the bars are shut down again and the restaurants are reduced to take out only.
I'm an hour south of you and I normally average 60-75 gigs per year. I had nothing since February up until this past weekend, where we played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights in 3 different venues. We've also solidified at least 5-8 more through the end of the year. I appreciate the opportunities to play and make a little money, but we really appreciate seeing people relaxing and enjoying some live music while we get the chance to hang with some good people and wonderful players.

Aside from some small maintenance purchases, I did score a Ludwig Pioneer red sparkle for under $200 a few weeks ago. It'll take a little cleaning up on some rust here and there but it's all original (including snares and bottom head) and in remarkable condition, and will be a welcome addition to the herd. Also need to replace a crash as well, but I have enough Amazon money from my birthday in May to cover that :)

Hope you're all well!

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No gigs here in the Bay Area during the great lockdown of 2020. I sold a K ride and then bought some K dark hats and a Classic Maple snare, both used and at an excellent price.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've had 2 snare drums come up I've wanted forever, but both have sold for over $1600 which is more than I'm willing to pay currently. I may be buying 1 snare but that's about it. I need new Tom heads but figure currently with no gigs, what's the point.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Its not the venue...its Corning, Elmira, Ithaca area.
Also even some places in Rochester might hire Eastman students for cheap because they just want to play. Like no $..just pass the hat.
And sometimes that hat comes back with the kind of money that only jingles. :)

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
There are no guarantees in life and assurances are not prophecy. A man must read the coming landscape and make his own call.

You may be correct, partially correct or entirely wrong but the reward is not the result, it is that you positioned your pieces by your own will and whit.

Reactions: JDA

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I rehearse/jam with two groups: (1) jazz trio (piano, double bass and drums), and (2) classic rock & pop (keyboard, guitar and drums). Neither group will be playing out anytime soon, but rehearsing and jamming keeps our chops up and gives us an outlet to help endure the otherwise self-quarantine to which we all (the band members) adhere. In both groups we all wear masks and maintain more than a six foot distance. In group (2) we moved from my rehearsal studio which allowed six foot separation to the keyboardist's studio with allows double that. We all take safety very seriously.

That said I have acquired two kits and a pile of cymbals that I wouldn't need even if I were heavily gigging since my self-quarantine started.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The sort of ironic thing is that I finally came up with what I thought was a perfect gear arrangement for my musical life (All Yamaha, Stage Custom Birches for bar/restaurant casual gigs and the Absolute Hybrid Maples for recording and concerts, all Yamaha hardware) and then COVID came and obliterated the plan. I have a whole shell bank of amazing-sounding stage customs with nothing to use them on. I'm recording and practicing on the AHMs every day, and they're wonderful-- very responsive to different tunings and head changes which make them great recording drums. And I'm actually getting recording projects and people are happy with the (remote) results.

And as it turns out, having a wide range of cymbals around has been great for recording. If it were easy I'd probably go back to all Zildjian and build out my redesigned A set and my K Con set with more models and some of the other Zs with strong voices like the Cluster Crashes and a Special Dry or two.

Some part of me now feels like the Stage Custom purchase was for a scene that's probably not coming back for a while and, even when it does, I may not want to be part of it. I'd probably be open to selling those or trading them all in on a ratty vintage 12/14/20 kit for the studio-- something very different than the modern Yamaha sound like a Club Date or something. Or really, I need mics and a bigger interface much more than I need drums right now.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
There is no set answer on any of this. If you are a full time musician and right now the gig is $50 for 3-hours, take it. Something is better than nothing. But if you have a day job or other sources of income, you can certainly be more choosey in your gigs. But unless it's a Private Party, Political Event or a Wedding, you can pretty much chalk up club work to equate to crap money. And, with that crap money, you will play with very mediocre musicians. It's extremely tough to break away from too because most serious working bands have worked as a unit for a long time. So to make that G note every week is gonna take friendships with other members of the band and eventually waiting for the drummer there now to either get sick, get pregnant or quit. And when and if that happens, you may also find in short order that playing the same material night after night, is mentally draining. Then you start looking for the better gig with better musicians, more challenging music and hopefully better money. But it can take a lifetime. I never got into drumming to make money, I did it because I love to play. But tastes change, bands come and go and the money is a flash in the pan. So you either stay alone and get better and better in your basement or you get out and take some crap money once in awhile. There is no right or wrong way or secret formula.