Buying Cymbals on Reverb/online?

gronstadt

Reaction score
Hi all. I want to buy a 16” K thin dark crash but I’m hesitant to buy the mint condition one on reverb. It’ll save me quite a bit versus buying new. Anyone have any input on buying cymbals without hearing the actual cymbal first?

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My advice would be, if you buy and sell frequently, it’s no big deal to buy with less than comprehensive information. If you end up with something that doesn’t fit, you flip it (with maybe a minimal loss). If you buy cymbals infrequently without a backup surplus, spend the extra cash and get exactly what you want.
Otherwise, get as much information as you can, especially weight, and YouTube examples. It’s far from always accurate, but it helps.
The only near-perfect method is to take the cymbals you already like to your local shop and try others with them.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They all sound good when thin. The only risk is an undiagnosed crack along a lathing line. I've had them show up months after buying a mint used cymbal. That's the one advantage to buying new. If you're buying from an original owner who wasn't abusive....that works.

cjs2002

Reaction score
i've had mostly good luck with buying cymbals on reverb, though i much prefer getting the right cymbal and paying a premium to do so at a shop.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
prefer getting the right cymbal and paying a premium to do so at a shop.
The cymbals -some of us- have liked- over the years- aren't- never- rarely- ever- found- in a shop. And still aren't.
Only found in online "shops"..

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with the “buy it, you’ll learn to like it” attitude. I cant think of a single cymbal that I have bought by going through a stack and picking out the “one I like”. But I have some nice and useful instruments that I’ve stumbled upon over the years. Most I’ve learned to like because they suit my purposes. I agree that if it is the general type of cymbal (brand, style etc), close in weight to what you want at a good price, good condition then go for it. It could be a gem. Who really knows until you play it on gigs in different rooms and different bands.

cjs2002

Reaction score
The cymbals -some of us- have liked- over the years- aren't- never- rarely- ever- found- in a shop. And still aren't.
Only found in online "shops"..
yes i am lucky to live in NYC where we have Maxwell's and a surprisingly good Sam Ash. Between those two I'm covered for anything vintage, used, or modern

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
yes i am lucky to live in NYC where we have Maxwell's
I have a better chance stealing the vintage cymbals online..over the years... from private owners....than paying Max's price ( god bless him) don't get me wrong: I like dealers..
but I could can and did skip the dealer and purchase an old K in Tennessee or elsewhere anywhere thru ebay easier
" eggs Used to be cheaper in the country"..

Last edited:

cjs2002

Reaction score
I have a better chance stealing the vintage cymbals online..over the years... from private owners....than paying Max's price ( god bless him) don't get me wrong: I like dealers..
I could purchase an old K off in Tennessee thru ebay easier
Haha yes, they are more pricey but they operate an amazing space in NYC where it is nearly impossible to pay rent. But also, this is where paying the premium for getting to play great, potentially expensive cymbals in person is worth it to me. I've bought and sold many cymbals online. I've kept everything I've tested out in person.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't care what they operate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Testing cymbals in person is not a panecea either...
you can get it home and not like it (I've driven many back the following week)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cymbals are not decided on in 5, 15 or even 30 minutes; sometimes takes months to a year to get comfortable
Cymbals are not finalized on in 10 minutes
~~
There's time and trust involved
There's an acclimation phase
~
You seem to know what you're doing despite asking the original question

Last edited:

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought it- brand new Zildjian K Thin Dark Crash 16” for 200 after tax/shipping.
I just bought exactly the same cymbal at our GC. I thought it was new, but the salesman said it was a trade in. $140 out the door.

Last year I was looking for the same cymbal, but I ran across a brand new 16" K Dark medium-thin from a dealer for $150 delivered. I wasted no time buying that one, but still wanted a thin, so the GC deal was perfect.

I noted in another thread that I could be perfectly satisfied with these two as my only crashes. The blend is perfect.

Based on these two, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them blind online. You will love yours, too.

GeeDeeEmm

gronstadt

Reaction score
Hello G...this is Musicman56.. from Green Valley....how's the 20" working out? Welcome
Hey!! I almost didn’t want to reply- there’s something in the mail for you:) I appreciate your hospitality and couldn’t be happier with the cymbal! I like the brighter, defined sticking coupled with the darker undertones and wash. I’ve used that cymbal with a rock band, a punk/metal band and a country/acoustic group and it fit in well with all three. I can’t thank you enough!

gronstadt

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought the cymbal- Zildjian K Dark Thin Crash 16”. Super nice seller on Reverb and it’s a brand new cymbal for 200 out the door. I think it’s worth not playing the actual cymbal:)

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
I’ve only bought two cymbals online blind. Or I should say @deaf@ as in not hearing them first (an old A Zildjian 20”crash/ride and a Sabian HH RBDR).

I purchased both based on weight and what I knew about each cymbal line.
Really good deal on each and no regrets on either.

I do agree with JDA that one must spend time with a cymbal to understand it. Cymbals are like complex people.