Buying Cymbals on Reverb/online?

gronstadt

Reaction score
I just bought exactly the same cymbal at our GC. I thought it was new, but the salesman said it was a trade in. $140 out the door.

Last year I was looking for the same cymbal, but I ran across a brand new 16" K Dark medium-thin from a dealer for $150 delivered. I wasted no time buying that one, but still wanted a thin, so the GC deal was perfect.

I noted in another thread that I could be perfectly satisfied with these two as my only crashes. The blend is perfect.

Based on these two, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them blind online. You will love yours, too.

GeeDeeEmm
That’s always a good day!! :) thanks I’m sure it’ll be sweet. I’m really starting to understand CC Cirillo and cymbals being a seriously complex instrument period!

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been buying cymbals off Reverb for a long time now. It has worked out great!

I've sold two complete sets of Zildjians and Paistes and a bunch of one offs, as well, through Reverb. I learned here how to wrap them well and I get many compliments on that aspect.

deegeebee

Reaction score
On ballance I feel like I have made better decisions with good pics, weights, youtube, sound files and time to properly consider rather than an on the spot decision in person. Eithwr way I often can't tell for sure until the shiny new excited feeling wears off and I actually get to know a cymbal anyway.

Key for me has always been to get a range of used options at a decent price and pass on whatever isn't the best fit. Could I find a better fit with a 3 week residency in the Zildjian vault, probably, but that's not going to happen.

REF

Reaction score
They all sound good when thin. The only risk is an undiagnosed crack along a lathing line. I've had them show up months after buying a mint used cymbal. That's the one advantage to buying new. If you're buying from an original owner who wasn't abusive....that works.
I remember purchasing new Zildjian Oriental chinas, twice. Both times they came cracked. I called Zildjian. Talked to some Rep. He became agitated with me and said Zildjian melts down 40,000 cymbals a year because they don't meet their standards. Kind of caused me to think about their manufacturing processes, and how those two chinas made it out the door. I don't purchase new Zildjians anymore and not many used ones, either. Too many 'duds.'

Latest posts