Buying first kit, need opinions please

Reaction score
Coming from an electronic kit, i'm looking to buy my first acoustic set. I'm an intermediate player so I don't really want a low quality kit but I have a budget of $1100
I've researched and narrowed my choices down to:

1. Pearl Export $800 AUD: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/percussion-drums/pear-export-complete-drum-kit/1228629702
2. PDP Custom Maple $1100 AUD: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hillcrest/percussion-drums/pdp-maple-drum-kit-with-zildjian-cymbals/1227825339
3. Pearl 1989 World Series with Remo Pinstripe heads $800 AUD: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pre-Loved-Pearl-World-Series-6-Piece-Black-Drum-Kit-with-Hardware-and-Cymbals/283632858666?hash=item4209d5f62a:g:N2IAAOSwowVdluy1

I would really appreciate any info and opinions anyone has on which kit is better.
I'm going to have a listen to the PDP tommorow arvo.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From that list I would go PDP. When it comes to expensive investments like a drum kit or car or something you should always buy the nicest kit you can afford.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can get a lot for $1100......if you buy used. If I were in your position I wouldn’t buy any of those kits. I would do exactly what Trilock Gurtu said.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
You can get a lot for $1100......if you buy used. If I were in your position I wouldn’t buy any of those kits. I would do exactly what Trilock Gurtu said.
Ditto!!!

REF

Reaction score
Indeed. Purchased used gear in good, well-kept condition. For $1100 you should be able to land some cymbals, as well.

If your heart is set on new, sound is relative to how the drums are mounted. I'd look for that, and then decide on a finish I liked best. Look at hardware features that interest you. Drum quality at all price points is good today because of the fierce competition.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
I'd personally start with this and go from there. Not a fan of any of the kits you picked.

bp350

Reaction score
I'd personally start with this and go from there. Not a fan of any of the kits you picked.

I agree with DanRH's suggestion. You simply can't beat the all birch Stage Custom's for the money. I found an open box set on Musiciansfriend.com awhile back for a little over $500. They arrived in perfect, new condition and are great drums!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Look into 70's/80's MIJ Tama/Yamaha kits. If you can find sizes/finish that you're happy with, they're very well made drums, and sound amazing.
Ditto Ditto. I'd also toss the Pearl 80's MX/MLX, DX/DLX, BLX and other all maple or birch drums into the mix.

Some great "inexpensive" kits in the later 70's to early 90's. You should be able to buy a beautiful used intermediate/pro-level kit with hardware and good quality cymbals for your budget...and with money left over. More than likely you will have to buy these from a private party (where the best deals usually are). All 3 of those kits you linked above come with entry style cymbals....in two cases they're Planet Z cymbals. No thanks. For your budget you should be able to find pro cymbals.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
Pick yourself up a nice used Mapex Saturn kit. Great sounding, great hardware, great price.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree as well. There are a ton of kits out there at that price point. My local GC has an 80s Tama Superstar kit for $900 and a large Yamaha Tour series for a bit over your budget, but that is more drums than you need. If you're looking for something more modern, used Pearl or Mapex are great buys for the money in terms of getting a newer pro or upper mid-level kit.

If you want to go new, every brand has a kit at that price point that is punching way above its weight class.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd look for a decent used kit. Check CL, local music stores and relevant FB groups. There are always folks who buy a lot of gear and a few months later they can't or won't put the time in to be able to play at their desired level, their band blows up, etc.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are getting good hardware with your kit if buying used. Don't just get a shell pack thinking it's a great deal. You'll end up spending at least as much on stands as you did on the drums if you buy separately.

The Pearl World series was a solid kit, but that's too much money for one.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What about cymbals? A lot of times people buy the drums and the cymbals are an afterthought which is a mistake IMO.

felis

Reaction score
Is Reverb useful in Australia?
And 1100 kangaroo dollars don't go as far as USD either.

For the OP - any of those sets would work.
When new, the World Series set was probably the best quality,
but I'm sure it's been around the block a few times. The ad says there's some rust and stuff too.
The PDP's are much newer and look like they may have been a stay at home kit.
You'll probably eventually want to replace the cymbals that come with any of those kits too.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's usually best to buy USED drums, cymbals and hardware in one deal....if saving money is high on your priorities. Usually, there's a strong discount from the seller for doing so. There are exceptions to that "rule".... so those you just walk away from. Most nice kits have to end up giving one of the 3 (drums, hw, cymbals) for free to sell the kit. Sometimes it's two of them. Sometimes the cymbals alone are worth more than what you pay for the entire kit. Don't be in a hurry. It could take months to find a great deal.....but it will be worth it. And if you don't end up loving it, you are free to sell it off for parts or in whole, and go around again.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ditto Ditto. I'd also toss the Pearl 80's MX/MLX, DX/DLX, BLX and other all maple or birch drums into the mix.

Some great "inexpensive" kits in the later 70's to early 90's. You should be able to buy a beautiful used intermediate/pro-level kit with hardware and good quality cymbals for your budget...and with money left over. More than likely you will have to buy these from a private party (where the best deals usually are). All 3 of those kits you linked above come with entry style cymbals....in two cases they're Planet Z cymbals. No thanks. For your budget you should be able to find pro cymbals.
Agree, I had a 80's Pearl BLX kit. Thing was built like a tank, and sounded great. Can't believe I forgot about that.

Latest posts