Buying first kit, need opinions please

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I owned a Pearl world kit new, it was ok, not bad, snare was el barfo though.

I have had a lot of kits not as many as Danrh and his pick of a stage custom is quite a good one, had that kit very good especially for the money.
Mapex Saturn as others have suggested is a really good one too.
mid to late 90s Pearl Masters Custom is a fine kit and can be had in your range.

Buying new I would go with a Stage Custom.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input and info. Seeing as I've only got the Gold Coast and Brisbane to look in, I think you guys are suggesting kits a bit too ambitiously. Looking on Gumtree, Facebook and eBay for good used local pickup or even free shipping kits/parts has been so hard and there really isn't a lot to choose from. And I know to get a used kit, that's why I attached 3 used kits to my OP.

Alright so after reading this all and looking on sites,
1. There are no Pearl MX/MLX, DX/DLX or BLX kits in my area.
2. There are no Pearl Masters Customs in my area.
3. There are no Yamaha Stage Customs in my area. (and I don't really want to buy a that one you attached for $835 and only have $265 for cymbals and hardware)
4. There are no Mapex Saturns in my area.
5. There's 1 Tama Superstar in my area. It's up for $750 with no cymbal stands or cymbals. But I absolutely hate the look of it.

The kits I've discovered newly by looking this morning are,
1. Tama Imperialstar ($850 plus $250 for cymbals): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/537234947059335/
2. Tama Stagestar ($1080): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1026003684397901/
3. Some random Premier shell pack ($390): (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2732457943494743/
4. Tama Stagestar (i think) kit ($950): https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganholme/percussion-drums/tama-5-piece-drum-kit/1208813607
5. PDP x7 ($850): https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/robina/percussion-drums/drum-kit-pdp-x7-series-full-maple/1230605882

So i'm now considering the PDP x7 or the 5 Piece Tama kit if i learn more about it.
What do you guys think of these kits compared to each other (still including the export and pdp custom maple from my original post)

Last edited:

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What a bunch of trash cymbals with those kits. ZBTs and B8Pros aren't worth anything, but they are trying to bump the price up by including them.

I'd say be patient.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I just looked up the exchange rate, and those prices in USD aren't too terrible. I know that's not always a one to one ratio considering one's income and other factors though. And there's seemingly a supply problem where you live. Still, given your budget, you can't afford to buy any of these and have money left over for decent cymbals.

If it were me, I'd spend the bulk of my money on good cymbals and a decent snare. Just about any bass drum can be made to go "thump", you were probably going to muffle the hell out of it anyway, and just about any tom can get a respectable sound with a coated Emperor. You can't make bad cymbals sound good though, and you play your snare too often to not have one that sounds great.

You're in a tough spot. Patience is your friend, keeping your eyes peeled for good deals on used cymbals will help a lot. This may take you a while.

Reaction score
Well, I just looked up the exchange rate, and those prices in USD aren't too terrible. I know that's not always a one to one ratio considering one's income and other factors though. And there's seemingly a supply problem where you live. Still, given your budget, you can't afford to buy any of these and have money left over for decent cymbals.

If it were me, I'd spend the bulk of my money on good cymbals and a decent snare. Just about any bass drum can be made to go "thump", you were probably going to muffle the hell out of it anyway, and just about any tom can get a respectable sound with a coated Emperor. You can't make bad cymbals sound good though, and you play your snare too often to not have one that sounds great.

You're in a tough spot. Patience is your friend, keeping your eyes peeled for good deals on used cymbals will help a lot. This may take you a while.
What do you recommend for good cymbals? It's only for home practice and I can always just upgrade the cymbals once I get a job with steady income. I thought I should get some solid shells and hardware first.
Spending $1100 AUD on only a semi decent kit doesn't sound too good if I can just get a great kit piece by piece.

But how would I go about that though? look for toms, snare, kick drum, cymbals and hardware all separately? I'm fine with mix and matching drums as long as they sound and look good together. I really know nothing about acoustic shells, hardware or cymbals though so I honestly don't know what to look for making a mixed kit.

Any help with what specific parts will make a good mixed kit would be much appreciated

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's easy for us experienced drummers and gear geeks to tell a beginner to buy used. There are, however, a ton of pitfalls if you're inexperienced. If you're a beginner, but used, but have an experienced drummer come with you to buy.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What do you recommend for good cymbals? It's only for home practice and I can always just upgrade the cymbals once I get a job with steady income. I thought I should get some solid shells and hardware first.
Spending $1100 AUD on only a semi decent kit doesn't sound too good if I can just get a great kit piece by piece.

But how would I go about that though? look for toms, snare, kick drum, cymbals and hardware all separately? I'm fine with mix and matching drums as long as they sound and look good together. I really know nothing about acoustic shells, hardware or cymbals though so I honestly don't know what to look for making a mixed kit.

Any help with what specific parts will make a good mixed kit would be much appreciated
Zildjians and Sabians are usually affordable used, just don't get ZBTs or B8s, or whatever "beginner" line a maker has.

I don't mean get everything piece by piece, I just mean be frugal and wise with every purchase. Getting crap included with a bundle doesn't help you.

Those premiers are a good deal if you can get him to come off the price some. But you'll need a snare, hihat stand, bass drum pedal, and cymbal stands.

shiek_yerbouti

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Exactly! A cymbal is what it is. It’s either a good cymbal or a bad one. If it’s bad to begin with there’s not much you can do about that. I’d stay away from those Sabian B8 cymbals.

A drum on the other hand can have it's tuning changed, put new heads on it, or use various dampening techniques to pull a sound out of it.

Of the kits you posted that Premier shell pac looks like a good deal. You would have money left to put into some nice cymbals and a nice snare drum.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input and info. Seeing as I've only got the Gold Coast and Brisbane to look in, I think you guys are suggesting kits a bit too ambitiously. Looking on Gumtree, Facebook and eBay for good used local pickup or even free shipping kits/parts has been so hard and there really isn't a lot to choose from. And I know to get a used kit, that's why I attached 3 used kits to my OP.

Alright so after reading this all and looking on sites,
1. There are no Pearl MX/MLX, DX/DLX or BLX kits in my area.
2. There are no Pearl Masters Customs in my area.
3. There are no Yamaha Stage Customs in my area. (and I don't really want to buy a that one you attached for $835 and only have $265 for cymbals and hardware)
4. There are no Mapex Saturns in my area.
5. There's 1 Tama Superstar in my area. It's up for $750 with no cymbal stands or cymbals. But I absolutely hate the look of it.

The kits I've discovered newly by looking this morning are,
1. Tama Imperialstar ($850 plus $250 for cymbals): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/537234947059335/
2. Tama Stagestar ($1080): https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1026003684397901/
3. Some random Premier shell pack ($390): (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2732457943494743/
4. Tama Stagestar (i think) kit ($950): https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/loganholme/percussion-drums/tama-5-piece-drum-kit/1208813607
5. PDP x7 ($850): https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/robina/percussion-drums/drum-kit-pdp-x7-series-full-maple/1230605882

So i'm now considering the PDP x7 or the 5 Piece Tama kit if i learn more about it.
What do you guys think of these kits compared to each other (still including the export and pdp custom maple from my original post)
Premier, hands down.
6 ply Birch shell. Good quality kit. Not too hard on the pocketbook and something you can use for your whole life.
I used to sell Premier and XPK's were always a good drum.
Not "top-of-the-line", but a good solid kit, all the same.
$390's a good price. Should leave you enough $$$ to find a snare drum, some hardware and cymbals.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
What do you recommend for good cymbals?
Always remember - you can put good cymbals with an "okie-dokie" kit and it will work, but it never works the other way around.
You can start off with a Paiste PST7 cymbal pack.
PST is a student line of cymbals. Usually, I'd suggest to stay away from such a cymbal, but the 7 is a good "bang-for-the-buck" in a new cymbal.
Otherwise, used A.Zildjian's have been a stand-by for many years now.
Here's a video showing what a set of PST7's sound like.....

Last edited:

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd personally start with this and go from there. Not a fan of any of the kits you picked.

This what I started on too. Still playing them. Very solid drums and great buy for the money

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As far as modern used drums, you could find a Tama Starclassic kit in your price range pretty easily, I think. Those are beautiful drums.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
"...You can find a nice used set of shells fairly priced."

Like that Premier kit.
Man, I can't believe his luck, finding one in such great shape for only $390.
I really hope he jumps on that one.

Elvis

kzac

Reaction score
Coming from an electronic kit, i'm looking to buy my first acoustic set. I'm an intermediate player so I don't really want a low quality kit but I have a budget of $1100
I've researched and narrowed my choices down to:

1. Pearl Export $800 AUD: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wishart/percussion-drums/pear-export-complete-drum-kit/1228629702
2. PDP Custom Maple $1100 AUD: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hillcrest/percussion-drums/pdp-maple-drum-kit-with-zildjian-cymbals/1227825339
3. Pearl 1989 World Series with Remo Pinstripe heads $800 AUD: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pre-Loved-Pearl-World-Series-6-Piece-Black-Drum-Kit-with-Hardware-and-Cymbals/283632858666?hash=item4209d5f62a:g:N2IAAOSwowVdluy1

I would really appreciate any info and opinions anyone has on which kit is better.
I'm going to have a listen to the PDP tommorow arvo.
johnny .... it all depends on what you are going to do with the kit... I you are looking for a money saving kit that will provide very good sound then I would suggest the Yamaha Rydeen kit ... I have one of these kits and with a drum head change, they sound excellent.... I also revised the bass drum hoops to heaver wooden hoops.... Other than that the drums will sound excellent.... I also changed my front bass drum head to a Remo Diplomat, which gave the bass drum more punch (still using the original batter side head), In the end you will save yourself quite a bit of money which you can use on cymbals stands and other traps.

Here is a video of the Rydeen .... Mine sound very similar ... they are without doubt the best sounding kit available for the money .... Just something to consider ...

psyched

Reaction score
You're getting great advice so far. If what you can find is limited, you may just have to be patient. But an okay used kit, even a seemingly cheap one, will sound a lot better when paired with good cymbals and new heads. If you're not budgeting for new heads, you should be. Any used drums you get will benefit enormously from fresh heads. And as for cymbals, you'll thank yourself later if you prioritize them at this stage... you can improve the sound of a drum in many ways, but cymbals are always what they are and no more.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What about cymbals? A lot of times people buy the drums and the cymbals are an afterthought which is a mistake IMO.
Yep, you can try putting different heads on drums and then tune them to get them sounding pretty decent in most cicumstances, but a cymbal will sound like what it sounds like unless you have a cymbalsmith hookup.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Craviottos. Because this is a forum and its easy to spend other people's money and poo poo tradeoffs rooted in their reality.