Byzance Flat China

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Stopped by a pawn shop today and found an intriguing cymbal hanging on the wall. A Meinl Byzance 18" flat china. First time I'd encountered such a thing. It was on a hook on the wall buried behind an assortment of thrashed and trashed B8 cymbals. I had missed this on previous visits, probably due to that. It had initially been priced at $150 but this store puts a sticker on each item detailing a declining price the longer it sits. Obviously this one had been there awhile as the lowest price on the sticker was $87 after June 22, 2019. After checking it out for any damage, none found, and watching a couple demo videos on my phone, I took it up to the counter and asked if they could do any better on it. The clerk asked another guy who looked it over, sort of frowned when he read the date sticker, checked something on his laptop and said "$37". "Okey dokey I'll take it!". I probably would have shelled out the $87 if it had been necessary.

Nice deal. I've seen plenty of other cymbals in questionable condition come and go from this place for a lot more than this. All I can figure out is that poor merchandising, with this cymbal buried behind a bunch of crap ones, led to my lucky find.

20191214_220802.jpg
20191214_220733.jpg

Last edited:

Pibroch

Reaction score
Could it be useful, do you imagine, as a quiet ride in an acoustic jazz setting?

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Different. China sound with a fast decay. Not something I would have bought new at full price but, as a different sound to have available to use it's well worth forty bucks. I think I'll find a use for it.
I have been looking for one of these for some time. I always miss the good stuff.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

"So when they say "You Can Buy this exact Cymbal" I say " No man give me another that fella never touched"
I was thinking that same thing when watching those videos.

larold

Reaction score
I used to have a 19.5” Tosco flat/cupless china cymbal. It was a very cool cymbal.

Latest posts