Byzance Foundry Reserve - new Meinl series

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zoweee! MAN those cymbals sound absolutely great. In a lot of circumstances, one could get by with one ride cymbal and a pair of hi hats. Don't you wish you could walk into a music store or buy on line and find cymbals that consistently sound as good as those? I feel like I've just heard the cream of the crop when it comes to cymbals.

And can we give a hand to that first drummer, the one on the white DW set? That guy is an amazing soloist. There must be a dozen drummers living in his left hand.

GeeDeeEmm

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And can we give a hand to that first drummer, the one on the white DW set? That guy is an amazing soloist. There must be a dozen drummers living in his left hand.

GeeDeeEmm
That would be JP Bouvet.

The other two are Benny Greb and Jerry Roe

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those might be the nicest Meinl cymbals I have ever heard . Wonder how consistent they are sound wise
Rick, Meinl’s are fairly consistent but two handmade Turkish cymbals of the same model are never going to sound the same. Things like air humidity and temperature the time a cymbal is made can affect its sound and colour. That’s both the beauty AND problem with hand made cymbals.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to try these! Maybe a 15 hats, 20 and 22 light ride set up is in order...

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sound real nice. I'm glad they didn't have make some ultra dry style cymbals here. They have a very well balanced sustain and stick definition while having a soft crash with warm undertones. Great move on their part.

The more important question is, what size bass drum is Benny Greb playing in that video? 28"? 32"? Does he have some crazy pedal setup hooked up to a 40" marching drum off camera?

michiganice91

Reaction score
These sound like if Meinl tried to make their own version of Paiste Signature Dark Energy cymbals. They even look similar. Not bad...

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Those might be the nicest Meinl cymbals I have ever heard . Wonder how consistent they are sound wise
Agree - they sound nice, and right on with the critical element of consistency. There are no lack of nice-sounding cymbals on the market from all the companies. In my experience, finding a keeper is the challenge with most companies. Many of us do not have access to large collections for the purposes of auditioning to find a “good one.” I like Meinl as a company as they make good cymbals IMHO, but they need to be darn close to available sound samples to be in the running for me - Paiste close. I am rooting for Meinl to make that happen.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
I’m going to make sure and check these out at NAMM. I like to get there early before the show opens, and play all the cymbals. ;-)

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice
Love Meinl.
Diril makes these for them in Turkey as well as the Masters line for Paiste. Specifically l like the Byzance various series... Extra Dry..Jazz..Dark etc.. l play several of these.
These look likethey took the Dark series and specialty lathed them. And after that hammer them again to add complexity and dryness.
After being so successful with the Extra Dry for the last 10-12 years and Zildjian trying to catch up with their special dry relaunch [which are nice but not as good to my ears], Meinl is now taking a bite off of the K Cons series market. Not too complex...not too dry... To my ears these sound much better than K Cons.
Definitely have fine tuning and craftsmanship. Pretty good !

The more important question is, what size bass drum is Benny Greb playing in that video? 28"? 32"? Does he have some crazy pedal setup hooked up to a 40" marching drum off camera?
Sounds to me like a 20" or 22" with no port hole and no muffling pillow. Just 2 powerstroke heads with the resonant looser than the batter and medium low in general. The shell resonates well and it sounds great. Good drummer and good micing/recording helps ; ]

Last edited:

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
Diril makes these for them in Turkey as well as the Masters line for Paiste.
Have a reference for this as regards Paiste? Because it sure is different from what Paiste themselves say:

I’ve received some information about rumors travelling around the world on internet blogs and forums, regarding our Twenty Series. I thought it might be a good idea to make our side of the story public. Because I do not believe in marketing BS, I will keep it brief and to the point:

Paiste received raw materials, specifically unfinished goods, from Murat and Ibrahim Diril in Turkey. We then hammered and lathed this material to make Paiste cymbals, the Twenty series. It is not true that Twenty cymbals were made entirely by Diril, or that we just applied logos to “finished cymbals” received from them.

Unfortunately, what we are dealing with is a disgruntled supplier, who has lost both Paiste and another cymbal company as customers. Be that as may be, I still wish them well for the future.

We discontinued our relationship with the Diril brothers because of quality problems. A significant portion of the raw materials received did not conform to our standards, resulting in cymbals we had to destroy after our final quality control inspection. We had no choice but to wind up the relationship.

We will continue to offer the Twenty series, we will not discontinue it, and we will ensure that our customary quality and consistency applies. That’s the bottom line.

Any questions or comments are welcome to my attention at produktionsleiter@paiste.com.

My deep appreciation to all our fans and supporters for allowing us to continue to make great cymbals.

Erik Paiste
This is from 2009. It related to the Paiste Twenty series only, and the change of suppler happened a few years before the switch to the Twenty Masters (2011) which are just called Masters now. There are some unpleasant emails from Murat Diril claiming he made the Pasite Twenty cymbals completely and Paiste is lying. I won't get into that (although I do have all the emails for archive purposes), but I will point out that the timeline is clear enough that Diril was out as a supplier well before the Twenty Masters came on the scene.

The situation may be different for Meinl, I don't have information on that. But it does seem like this new Byzance line is being marketed as 100% made in Turkey, while the previous Byzance lines didn't have that in the marketing. That could suggest Meinl were previously receiving blanks or partially finished cymbals and then tuning them up at the factory in Germany. Have Meinl changed suppliers as well for this new Byzance Foundry Reserve Made in Turkey line? Did they change suppliers for the Byzance some years back as Paiste did? :dontknow:

I agree that when I looked at the catalog picture of the new Byzance Foundry Reserve Made in Turkey line, I immediately thought "K Zildjian Constantinoples" right down to the pits in the pressed in bells. Nice sounds too.

Last edited:

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
$727 US for a 22" if my currency converter is correct.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have a reference for this as regards Paiste? Because it sure is different from what Paiste themselves say:

This is from 2009. It related to the Paiste Twenty series only, and the change of suppler happened a few years before the switch to the Twenty Masters (2011) which are just called Masters now. There are some unpleasant emails from Murat Diril claiming he made the Pasite Twenty cymbals completely and Paiste is lying. I won't get into that (although I do have all the emails for archive purposes), but I will point out that the timeline is clear enough that Diril was out as a supplier well before the Twenty Masters came on the scene.

The situation may be different for Meinl, I don't have information on that. But it does seem like this new Byzance line is being marketed as 100% made in Turkey, while the previous Byzance lines didn't have that in the marketing. That could suggest Meinl were previously receiving blanks or partially finished cymbals and then tuning them up at the factory in Germany. Have Meinl changed suppliers as well for this new Byzance Foundry Reserve Made in Turkey line? Did they change suppliers for the Byzance some years back as Paiste did? :dontknow:

I agree that when I looked at the catalog picture of the new Byzance Foundry Reserve Made in Turkey line, I immediately thought "K Zildjian Constantinoples" right down to the pits in the pressed in bells. Nice sounds too.
My information might be outdated regarding Paiste Masters... quite possible.
But l do believe that it is Diril that's still making the Byzance lines. And Meinl puts final touches on them in Germany on certain models. He has a deal with Meinl to not distribute his cymbals outside Turkey or Europe. But when his cymbals come up on ebay or online its obvious they're almost identical to Meinl lines. That's all l know.... can't confirm anything...just a cymbal freak ; )

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That could suggest Meinl were previously receiving blanks or partially finished cymbals and then tuning them up at the factory in Germany.

I think you meant “tensioning” them up at the factory ...

Latest posts