Byzance Foundry Reserve - new Meinl series

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice
Love Meinl.
Diril makes these for them in Turkey as well as the Masters line for Paiste.
I have to correct you on that one. Diril makes no cymbals for Meinl. That stopped many years ago.

Meinl have their own factory in Turkey where the Byzance series is made.

amazish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to correct you on that one. Diril makes no cymbals for Meinl. That stopped many years ago.

Meinl have their own factory in Turkey where the Byzance series is made.
Cool ! Thanks for informing me. Nothing wrong with outsourcing manufacturing of course....
Love Byzance E Dry, Jazz and Vintage... and l have several. Terrific

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It's interesting... I've bought and sold a lot of cymbals, as have many of you here. And I agree that these new Meinl's sound good, ( as many of you here do) But this demo, and a lot of cymbal demos, are starting to miss the mark for me. It's not that the demo or the playing is bad. It's just that I'm never in a situation where I'm playing alone. And 2) a lot of the soloistic/youtube/instagram playing that seems to be the norm right now is in no way or shape what I do on my gigs, sessions, and rehearsals.

Yeah, they sound great. But what happens at MY gig ? Do the have the right balance of blend and cut ? Can I hear the stick sound thru the band ? I know that it's not the demos fault, a player has to get an idea of what he or she wants and needs. But I think it's getting pretty confusing out there. The whole reason for being is getting obscured.

that's all really..

Medellin

Reaction score
How would these compare to something like Paiste masters dark series?

Looking for that forward, slightly dark and washy sound that would work well for rock music.

Currently interested in moving to the masters dark line but now these are coming out... :D

Also, open to other options from other brands.

jeremiahsheets

Reaction score
Having actually played the K Constantinoples I can say that these sound absolutely nothing like them. I really wanted to like the K Cons but they had no versatility whatsoever. No matter where you hit or how hard or lightly you hit them they produce the same sound. It's a very nice and pleasant sound, but just the one. As such, unless I wanted to fit my kit with a dozen different K Cons, they just weren't that fun or versatile to play.
From what I'm gathering on these Foundry Reserve videos it appears that you can get quite diverse tones from them. I could see having a pair of them and getting several different sounds. Of course, like anything, I'll have to actually play them to find out. Figured that out with the K Cons...

eyeMsteve

Reaction score
I'm really excited for these although they will come close to 1000$ CND. Anyone liking the the light rides as crashes? I'm surprised they only came out with an 18" crash but overall they all seem to be great.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Having actually played the K Constantinoples I can say that these sound absolutely nothing like them. I really wanted to like the K Cons but they had no versatility whatsoever. No matter where you hit or how hard or lightly you hit them they produce the same sound. It's a very nice and pleasant sound, but just the one. As such, unless I wanted to fit my kit with a dozen different K Cons, they just weren't that fun or versatile to play.
From what I'm gathering on these Foundry Reserve videos it appears that you can get quite diverse tones from them. I could see having a pair of them and getting several different sounds. Of course, like anything, I'll have to actually play them to find out. Figured that out with the K Cons...
Interesting perspective. The only K Cons that ever worked for me were ( are) the 22 rides as jazz rides. Everything else, hats, and especially crashes and 20's I couldn't really connect with.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The name sounds like a fine Bourbon from my neck of the woods.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This is one of those times I think of Art Blakey and Elvin, finishing a set in Newark, or San Francisco in a smoke filled room. Playing their ass off and sweating, totally getting down. And then having some bourbon and a few cigarettes, and packing up their treasured K’s and round badge Gretsch satin flame kits ( presumably without washing their hands )

eyeMsteve

Reaction score
I was skeptical after hearing them in the mixed videos by Meinl. But after hearing them in this gentlemen's camera mic they seem to sound great. Both the ride ans the hats are tasty.

John W

Reaction score
I will be buying as many of these as I can as soon as I can, best sounding cymbals IMO

Latest posts