Byzance Foundry Reserve - new Meinl series

Z

zenstat

Does anyone know if these are being made by Diril?
Not according to Halldorl in post 22 above in response to Amazish

Nice
Love Meinl.
Diril makes these for them in Turkey as well as the Masters line for Paiste.
I have to correct you on that one. Diril makes no cymbals for Meinl. That stopped many years ago.

Meinl have their own factory in Turkey where the Byzance series is made.
And please note I also corrected the misinformation on Diril and the Paiste Masters line in earlier posts. Alas the internet has a long memory for incorrect information combined with a short memory for later corrections.

dustjacket

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice marketing touch with the gloves, (white no less), sticks, and certification.
However, do we/I really need to pay extra for that?
No wonder the individual cost is as high for each cymbal as it is.
And, what am I going to do with 3-4 pairs of gloves,sicks that I most likely would never use, (aren't sticks as personal as the other gear we select?), and a certificate for each cymbal I purchase?

I will wait until they hit the Reverb market. In the meantime, I will stick with what I have...and save some $$
The 22" ride is priced the same as:
Sabian Artisan
Zildjian Constantinople
Paiste Traditional
Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary

... so you get nifty bonus packing which can make it more of an experience or you can throw as a frisbee. The cymbal alone definitely deserves to be in the same upper echelon of the other companies.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have to correct you on that one. Diril makes no cymbals for Meinl. That stopped many years ago.

Meinl have their own factory in Turkey where the Byzance series is made.
Way back in 2000, I believe, when Meinl went with their own factory in Istanbul...

Quai34

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Old thread I know but I'm new to drummin, well, I'm the keys player in my band but invest in instruments for the other members as they practice at my place and I've been in love with drums and cymbals for years so, I need help.
I have a Sabian artisan light ride 20" coming that will be my left hand side ride, and that I could use as a crash to, I was close to order a Foundry reserve 20 but with the promo I bought the Sabian at, il was 250 CAN$ More, so....
But I still have in mind the Crash 18 that I think will be perfect between my Meinl Byzance dark crash 17" and my Meinl Byzance Trad 19"... I currently have an AAX XPLOSION fast crash that is fight but not in the position Imhave it no way, it "clashes" a bit between the two Meinl, I'm thinking to have it on the left side close to my 15" AAX X plosion, they will blend together better....
So, still an empty spot or a missing note in my head between my two Meinl, do you think it will fit wel, I read some comments that the crash was not that good and no too much par the other rides?
Also, I'm thinking to invest in a 14" or 15" new Hihat, we currently play on old Avedis Zildjian New Beat from the 70's, made in Canada, they sound goodd but I'm not in a "awe" about them, would the Foundry reserve will make a big difference?
We play Funk/Dance and a bit of Indie Pop Rock, cover band, when we jam it's pure Jazz, we have also a full Setlist of classic and alternative rock but if the Hihat or the cymbals fit well our primary goal, cover Funk/dance, that's enough for me....
Let me know.
Thanks

Last edited:

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Old thread I know but I'm new to drummin, well, I'm the keys player in my band but invest in instruments for the other members as they practice at my place and I've been in love with drums and cymbals for years so, I need help.
I have a Sabian artisan light ride 20" coming that will be my left hand side ride, and that I could use as a crash to, I was close to order a Foundry reserve 20 but with the promo I bought the Sabian at, il was 250 CAN$ so....
But I still have in mind the Crash 18 that I think will be perfect between my Meinl Byzance dark crash 17" and my Meinl Byzance Trad 19"... I currently have an AAX XPLOSION fast crash that is fight but not in the position Imhave it no way, it "clashes" a bit between the two Meinl, I'm thinking to have it on the left side close to my 15" AAX X plosion, they will blend together better....
So, still an empty spot or a missing note in my head between my two Meinl, do you think it will fit wel, I read some comments that the crash was not that good and no too much par the other rides?
Also, I'm thinking to invest in a 14" or 15" new Hihat, we currently play on old Avedis Zildjian New Beat from the 70's, made in Canada, they sound goodd but I'm not in a "awe" about them, would the Foundry reserve will make a big difference?
We play Funk/Dance and a bit of Indie Pop Rock, cover band, when we jam it's pure Jazz, we have also a full Setlist of classic and alternative rock but if the Hihat or the cymbals fit well our primary goal, cover Funk/dance, that's enough for me....
Let me know.
Thanks
Regarding the BFR 18” crash; it would probably fit right in between the Dark 17” and the Trad 19”. At the same time I find it the weakest cymbal in the BFR series and I basically never use it since I prefer the 18” Jazz series crashes (medium and thin) which are the true hidden gems of all the Meinl series IMO or the Extra thin hammered crash or even the Dual crash. The 18” BFR is low volume, complex and dark but lacks body and shimmer IMO. Of course personal taste varies but of all my Meinl crashes (12 pcs) it’s the one I almost never use. I’d reccommend you take a look at the 18” Jazz series crashes. I think it would fit your needs better plus they record beautifully. Don’t let the word “Jazz” fool you, they are quite versatile and fit many styles.

The BFR 20” and 22” rides are in constant use, great cymbals.

Quai34

Reaction score
Hi,
First, thanks a lot for your very fast reply, I'm glad I asked you because putting 650 from r a cymbal that has not high credential and maximum praise is a bit too much....Ok, so, I'm glad Iasked for a transfer from anorr store on a Sabian Artisan 20' light ride, if I don't like it, I might return it and order a 20" ride BFR....
Do you think the 20" ride or the 20" light ride could be used as crashes that will blend well with the two Meinl that I already have, I mean, as a crash first and ride also.... Because as a ride, we have an old Avedis 21" that I plan to replace with an AAX Sabian raw bell dry ride or a Sabian HHX Groove ride 21"... We still have also, installed in the right side too a Zildjian A Custom sweet ride 23" 25th anniversary so, I like rides but if they could be used as crash as well, that's ideal for me....The idea was to have a very Pingy ride and a wash ride on the right side, a ride with a good crash ability on the left hand side ride position and a crash that could be a light ride between my two meinl, the 17" and the 19".... I got the AAX XPLOSION at 150$ new with a big bag that hold my 23" as well but I'm not very impressed, it's clean glassy but not as interesting as the other cymbals I Have...
So, let me know.
Thanks again.

Last edited:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Having actually played the K Constantinoples I can say that these sound absolutely nothing like them. I really wanted to like the K Cons but they had no versatility whatsoever. No matter where you hit or how hard or lightly you hit them they produce the same sound. It's a very nice and pleasant sound, but just the one. As such, unless I wanted to fit my kit with a dozen different K Cons, they just weren't that fun or versatile to play.
From what I'm gathering on these Foundry Reserve videos it appears that you can get quite diverse tones from them. I could see having a pair of them and getting several different sounds. Of course, like anything, I'll have to actually play them to find out. Figured that out with the K Cons...
In my experience , it's possible to get multiple sounds out of nearly any cymbal, depending upon how, where and when it is made to vibrate, one's touch and imagination. That said, these have that how much is in the bank account sound to them.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think the 20" ride or the 20" light ride could be used as crashes that will blend well with the two Meinl that I already have, I mean, as a crash first and ride also....
The 20" Light ride for sure. The 20" ride is a bit on the slow side as a crash unless you shank it. But it´s a beautiful ride. I have a 20" Jazz thin ride that serves me as a crash. It´s actually one of my fav crashes.