ca. 2000 Broadkaster satin wood finish

Skeet6

Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a 10/12/14/14/18 Broadkaster in (darn near) collector condition - in Satin Burnt Orange. I have wanted a set like this since I first saw them in a shop in NYC when they were brand new on the scene.

What is the finish? Is it a satin lacquer or a poly? Doesn't seem like a satin oil, but I just don't know. Curious as to what best to keep the finish in top shape. My usual for my lacquer wood kits is Martin guitar polish and soft cotton.

What product is recommended to keep them clean?
Mike B

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the finish you have is a satin nitrocellulose lacquer finish . This is an actual lacquer finish that is not buffer to a high sheen which explains the lower price for kits with this finish compared to gloss nitro lacquer finishes.
Send a message to Gretsch to see what they suggest for care of this type of finish .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is a link to a discussion at the Drummerworld forum that you might find useful

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So cool! KO might have some ideas about this, too.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paging Joe. Paging Joe.
I see it I see it I see it...(love em all
SWO mine SWR
I mean. Is there a better-looking modern set?..

Don't bother ; ) answerin' I don't wanna know (heehee hee
somebody's SEB there
~
It's funny OP mentions "first time" he laid eyes on; same thing happened to long ago when they first came out; seeing them in a store in the shop window- from inside--they just "hit" ya.

"It's like they're in motion standing still...."
look at the quality of those drums you can see it I think better in satin. It's like real.

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
Just checked my Cook/Sheridan book - page 144. "1998... Broadkaster series maple shells, satin lacquer finishes, die cast hoops, gun-metal plating."
Mike B

Jazzhead

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see it I see it I see it...(love em all
SWO mine SWR
I mean. Is there a better-looking modern set?..

Don't bother ; ) answerin' I don't wanna know (heehee hee
somebody's SEB there
~
It's funny OP mentions "first time" he laid eyes on; same thing happened to long ago when they first came out; seeing them in a store in the shop window- from inside--they just "hit" ya.
Wow these look beautiful...what’s the name of this finish?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score

"It's like they're in motion standing still...."
Yeah, we were playing somewhere downtown, but my wife and I often spent the day of some gigs in midtown. It was in the window at Manny's, probably. The one I saw was this burnt orange finish - amd yeah, it "hit" me and stuck with me. Having grown up playing Gretsch, I moved to Premier then on to Precision as an endorser in the 90s. Even after getting my round badge '63 kit I still lusted after a Broadkaster from this period. Recently I saw this available and HAD to make it happen.
Mike B

PS: only thing I need is two of the hex-head screws for the Gibraltar spurs. Looks like two were overtightened and the heads shorn off. My Gibraltar spurs on my PDC kits have pan-head screws, it looks like Gretsch used their own. Anyone know where I can get them?

Ox Han

Reaction score
Nice score!

I think the broadkaster is the most vintage sounding modern kit that I’ve heard. Maybe there are others, but I really like my kit. The bearing edges are baseball bats.

1AE43B7C-EBC6-40AE-867D-97986FC04BED.jpeg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice score!

I think the broadkaster is the most vintage sounding modern kit that I’ve heard. Maybe there are others, but I really like my kit. The bearing edges are baseball bats.

View attachment 447933
You're confusing recent reissue three ply Broadkaster (or vintage 3 ply BK) with the 1998-2005(ish) Six ply gunmetal grey not chrome 6 ply series named (also) Broadkaster But that's ok many do that.
These were basically USA Custom in different trim..

(anyone interested go to Gretsch history and the gretsch website the 4 page catalog is still there:

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we were playing somewhere downtown, but my wife and I often spent the day of some gigs in midtown. It was in the window at Manny's, probably. The one I saw was this burnt orange finish - amd yeah, it "hit" me and stuck with me. Having grown up playing Gretsch, I moved to Premier then on to Precision as an endorser in the 90s. Even after getting my round badge '63 kit I still lusted after a Broadkaster from this period. Recently I saw this available and HAD to make it happen.
Mike B

PS: only thing I need is two of the hex-head screws for the Gibraltar spurs. Looks like two were overtightened and the heads shorn off. My Gibraltar spurs on my PDC kits have pan-head screws, it looks like Gretsch used their own. Anyone know where I can get them?
Here's what happened to me at Drum World Pittsburgh the set was in the window an 18/12/14/snare in black/satin... I got around to tapping on the floor tom and said to myself these sound just like my RB (satin flame) I have at home..So I passed until about 10 years later..

~
so you have kick spurs---not the fold out with a gunmetal 9020 block on either side of bass

Ox Han

Reaction score
You're confusing recent reissue three ply Broadkaster (or vintage 3 ply BK) with the 1998-2005(ish) Six ply gunmetal grey not chrome 6 ply series named (also) Broadkaster But that's ok many do that.
These were basically USA Custom in different trim..

(anyone interested go to Gretsch history and the gretsch website the 4 page catalog is still there:
I did not know that. Either set is probably great. I like the wood finish on yours and the other. it would be a top choice if I ever got another set.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not know that. Either set is probably great. I like the wood finish on yours and the other. it would be a top choice if I ever got another set.
yea Ox the drums you have (those are new right?) have the 3 ply and stickchopper/ and pay homage to the great forties and early 50s design + sound.
wow

Skeet6

Reaction score
Here's what happened to me at Drum World Pittsburgh the set was in the window an 18/12/14/snare in black/satin... I got around to tapping on the floor tom and said to myself these sound just like my RB (satin flame) I have at home..So I passed until about 10 years later..

~
so you have kick spurs---not the fold out with a gunmetal 9020 block on either side of bass
Yep, haha that's great, it happened to us both in the same way. Here's pics of the spurs, standard Gibraltar type, different screws used to mount.
Mike B

Attachments

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike B
You know as far as cleaning them----I'm deathly afraid of it :D
Here's what happened. Mine I've owned for 10 years and they are probably 13 (or 14) (I bought them straight from Gretsch -thru a dealer- unsold/discontinued/barely/ NOS sitting in the vin-yard!)

And I've only (and succeeded) cleaning- I dunno- a drop of something I noticed one day..I have some cleaner- what is it it's white/clear- in a spray bottle- I mix it....it's "General Purpose Hydrogen Peroxide" watered down I sprayed a little on a paper towel hit the drop/spot and it dried/ disappeared/and was gone. Gone.

I would not tackle cleaning the (my whole set. ... it'd take some bravery(!
My satin rosewood has held up immaculately well SWR knock on wood.

Last edited:

Skeet6

Reaction score
This kit looked to need little to no cleaning, I tried a little Martin guitar polish on a microfiber on the bottom of the bass drum... and it looks exactly the same as it did, lol. Martin gp is very, very gentle from my experience.
Mike B

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
little trivia bit between me you and the wood whisper : last Gretsch to have USA in the badge (I believe..
Kaman were the distributor at the time---and the 'imported (metal) parts were just coming in and I believe this series was the last to use (hoops, lugs) USA metal ( a connection with the past) - that's a speculation (but I'm going with it)
There's another tidbit about "K" being in some part order codes (K for Kaman) for which spurs and FT brackets)which got which..I read it here long ago)
another btw I have the Interstate catalog they were introduced in (yea I kept it) date is Winter 2001-2002 . list prices and sizes.

Last edited:

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
I finally got my hands on a 10/12/14/14/18 Broadkaster in (darn near) collector condition - in Satin Burnt Orange. I have wanted a set like this since I first saw them in a shop in NYC when they were brand new on the scene.

What is the finish? Is it a satin lacquer or a poly? Doesn't seem like a satin oil, but I just don't know. Curious as to what best to keep the finish in top shape. My usual for my lacquer wood kits is Martin guitar polish and soft cotton.

Mike B
Aren't those Broadkasters with the gun metal hardware made with the same Jasper shells that the USA Customs were made with?