Cactus drummer Carmine Appice says band has really updated its sound on new album, 'Tightrope'

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody hear anything "updated" here (other than three new members)? I'm not hearing it.

From ABC News Radio:

Cactus drummer Carmine Appice says band has really updated its sound on new album, 'Tightrope'

Cactus, the hard-rock band co-founded in 1969 by Vanilla Fudge drummer Carmine Appice (74) and bassist Tim Bogert, has just released a new studio album called Tightrope.

A follow-up to 2016's Black Dawn, Tightrope is the group's first to feature new guitarist Paul Warren and bassist Jimmy Caputo, who respectively replaced co-founder Jim McCarty and Pete Bremy in 2017. Rounding out the lineup are frontman Jimmy Kunes and harmonica player Randy Pratt, who've been in Cactus since the group was relaunched in 2006.

Appice, the only original Cactus member still in the band, tells ABC Audio that he thinks Tightrope features some of the best tunes the group has ever created.

"I love it. I love the songs," Carmine declares. "I tried to create different drum tracks with each song. Not straight ahead. Something interesting. And I think everybody that participated really, really did great parts…So I think we've really updated the Cactus sound."

Tightrope is made up mainly of new original songs, and boasts a diverse mix of tunes that includes heavy rock, 12-bar blues, melodic rock and atmospheric power ballads.

The album also features a cover of the 1972 Temptations chart-topper "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone." Appice reveals that the reason Cactus brought the song into its repertoire was that Warren actually played on the original track as a teenage session guitarist.

After playing the song in concert, and getting a great reaction from fans, Carmine says the Motown classic wound up being the first track Cactus recorded for Tightrope, adding that "it came out fantastic."

Cactus recently debuted a music video for the album's title track that you can watch on YouTube.

Tightrope is available now on CD, as a limited-edition two-LP colored-vinyl set and digitally.

For the story and video: Cactus drummer Carmine Appice says band has really updated its sound on new album, 'Tightrope' - Music News - ABC News Radio (abcnewsradioonline.com)

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
I think Carmine sounds really great on this tune.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another how many original player(s) thread.....??
Not being judgemental as Cactus is good for what it is....yep he sounds really great....but....
Of course he’s gonna say yeah the new record is great, best toons ever created, updated sound, blah blah blah.
It would pique my interest waaay more if he said we kicked butt and played real raunchy, blah blah blah.....(with no apb’s).
The only thing that scares me is the “atmospheric power ballads”...;)
bt

entire album what's he doing giving it away Free and making it up with a tour?
Tix price????? Whaahahahahaha...
Maybe they’ll go out with these folks....whaaahahahahahahahahaha

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
gotta respect him he was around before cellphones.
And personal computers, and cassettes, and probably 8-tracks and color TV!

I saw him live with Rod Stewart - fantastic show, and Carmine was quite the showman and yet solid drummer.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of those Aquarian power dot heads for ages . He's using Appice signature sticks too ... give your ride extra horsepower .

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
He still plays pretty great. Good on him! Any thoughts as to why he holds his right stick between his index finger and middle finger?

langmick

Reaction score
Saw them a few years ago. Weird gig, they had a harp player who just sorta stood around and a real flamboyant lead singer, looks like this singer. And Jimmy McCarty playing insanely loud, don't see him in this vid which is kinda sad. Carmine was super solid. He was in the back after the gig waiting for people to ask for autographs, Sharpie in hand.

langmick

Reaction score
RIP Phil Naro, he sang a tune on their new release. I did some work with him in a Yes tribute, he was just incredible, pure and powerful. Really nice guy, no lead singer not true. He kicked the jams with Talas too.